Motorized Door Lock Help

Hey guys,

I just printed these parts, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:465349, and I ordered a servo,https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015H2V72/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and this wireless remote, http://www.gearbest.com/development-boards/pp_73171.html?wid=21&lkid=10290633. I'm trying to figure if it's possible to run in both direction, if a press a it goes forward and if I press b it goes in reverse. If it is possible how would the diagram look like. 

Thanks for the help in advance.

I don't think you'll be able to reverse the servo. I'm sure there are some guides out there that have the exact parts and everything that you'd need for the project. 

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Servos use PWM signal inputs to represent a position the servo should be in. So if you are trying to have button a = locked and button b = open you would need button a to send the PWM signal representing 0° and button b send the PWM signal for 180° (or whatever values give the range of movement you need) This Article gives a brief overview of how servos work. The second item you have linked seems to be a relay box of some kind although looking at the listing I'm struggling to understand exactly how it functions but I don't think you could use it to control a servo directly.

However if the A and B on the remote are closing two relay circuits you could use an Arduino to detect when one of those relays are closed and then send a PWM signal to your servo either locking or unlocking it

I hope this helps

5 hours ago, Daysy said:

Servos use PWM signal inputs to represent a position the servo should be in. So if you are trying to have button a = locked and button b = open you would need button a to send the PWM signal representing 0° and button b send the PWM signal for 180° (or whatever values give the range of movement you need) This Article gives a brief overview of how servos work. The second item you have linked seems to be a relay box of some kind although looking at the listing I'm struggling to understand exactly how it functions but I don't think you could use it to control a servo directly.

However if the A and B on the remote are closing two relay circuits you could use an Arduino to detect when one of those relays are closed and then send a PWM signal to your servo either locking or unlocking it

I hope this helps

I just ordered an arduino, do you have any suggested guides I should watch to set it up?

8 hours ago, Daysy said:

I hope this helps

10/10 analysis, good suggestion with the arduino.

8 hours ago, Sebastian Kurpiel said:

I just ordered an arduino, do you have any suggested guides I should watch to set it up?

This page on the Arduino website is a good place to help you with the very first few things you need to do. Then if you look up Jeremy Blum on YouTube he has quite a good set of beginners tutorials.

22 hours ago, TheKDub said:

I don't think you'll be able to reverse the servo. I'm sure there are some guides out there that have the exact parts and everything that you'd need for the project. 

8 hours ago, Pulpypanda said:

10/10 analysis, good suggestion with the arduino.

2 hours ago, Daysy said:

This page on the Arduino website is a good place to help you with the very first few things you need to do. Then if you look up Jeremy Blum on YouTube he has quite a good set of beginners tutorials.

Sorry to bother you guys further but you mentioned relays. I attached two photos and I'm wonder if you guys think I'll it work. I'm too sure what co,con,and no means...

not s20170717_194241.thumb.jpg.03f11e9e4ded59d516343b10d12285ab.jpg20170717_194250.thumb.jpg.b172b244c89a396a523459d126436af5.jpg

Did any documentation come with it that could help to identify what they are?

Otherwise, if you have a multimeter, you could try touching the negative probe to the negative lead going to the circuit, then touch the positive probe to each of the three unused terminals (one at a time), and press each of the buttons on the remote to see if they cause any change.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 hour ago, TheKDub said:

Did any documentation come with it that could help to identify what they are?

Otherwise, if you have a multimeter, you could try touching the negative probe to the negative lead going to the circuit, then touch the positive probe to each of the three unused terminals (one at a time), and press each of the buttons on the remote to see if they cause any change.

Probably a dumb question, but if it has on box(the black one) does it mean it only has one relay?

Untitled.png.435e06f9bd2f527e21a7c707621a0a38.png

It only has one relay, yes.

2 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

It only has one relay, yes.

Then this wouldn't work, correct? If so does fry's sell these?I'm tired of going to amazon or eBay for these...

3 hours ago, Sebastian Kurpiel said:

Then this wouldn't work, correct? If so does fry's sell these?I'm tired of going to amazon or eBay for these...

Correct however you could use one relay and have it going live trigger a change of state, so in sudo code:

If door = locked & button = pressed

Unlock door

Else if door = unlocked & button = pressed

Lock door

There are a lot of beginner tutorials that show pressing a push to make switch turning an led on and off, that code could easily be adapted for your needs

10 hours ago, Daysy said:

Correct however you could use one relay and have it going live trigger a change of state, so in sudo code:

If door = locked & button = pressed

Unlock door

Else if door = unlocked & button = pressed

Lock door

There are a lot of beginner tutorials that show pressing a push to make switch turning an led on and off, that code could easily be adapted for your needs

Okay seems easy enough, would I have to power the relay separately or use a voltage amplifier to get the voltage up? It uses 12volts and a Arduino uses 9v

8 hours ago, Sebastian Kurpiel said:

Okay seems easy enough, would I have to power the relay separately or use a voltage amplifier to get the voltage up? It uses 12volts and a Arduino uses 9v

The Arduino will power off a 12v source, although you are probably better getting something to Step down the voltage to 9v as 12v is the top end of what they can handle.