Question about old Asrock G41C PCI-Ex

So I have an old Asrock G41C motherboard here and a Q8200. It takes DDR3 RAM or DDR2. Anyway I built it up in and old Packard Bell case just for the sake of it and I couldn't get it to work. So I got my old VGA monitor and BAM there it was booting up through the on board VGA. The problem is I can't actually get it to send display through another video card to use HDMI on it. I've tried a 6950, a GTX260 (that card might just be broken) and one of my GTX970s. It won't boot up through HDMI no matter what it only seems to boot through VGA. So is this board just too old to work with the newer GPUs (apart from the maybe broken GTX260)? There's also a HD7770 but that never works in anything unless it's relatively new and even then it's fussy.

I was gonna buy a cheap €20 Xeon E5450 for it so it won't literally be the worst PC ever and could work as a spare if needed. Also since all the parts are just lying around why not make them into a PC right?

Thanks in advance.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

I'm guessing that the pcie slot it dead. You'll most likely need to get a new motherboard. I currently have the same issue with my old athlon 64 system and the issue your having is the exact same.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

8 minutes ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

I'm guessing that the pcie slot it dead. You'll most likely need to get a new motherboard. I currently have the same issue with my old athlon 64 system and the issue your having is the exact same.

It was working a few months ago but I have no idea what happened it. The PSU I'm using in it is awful but when my cousin used it on his i5 it was working until he went to play a game then it would shut off. It should be enough though to just boot the computer up at least. I can try my cx600 just to rule out a PSU issue though but I doubt it's that since it can boot with VGA.

Also I have 3 spare other LGA775 motherboards but none take quad core they're all dual core motherboards.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

eITHER THE SLOT IS FAULTY or YOU NEED TO GO IN BIOS AND (sorry didnt see caps on) look for a setting that sounds like "initialize graphics from integrated / pci-e " and select pci-e or "external" or whatever is not "onboard" or "integrated" or "igp" (integrated graphics card) or intel gma etc you get the picture.

Sometimes it's called "graphics detect order : igp/pci-e etc" or something

on g41c-gs the manual says advanced > chipset configuration > primary graphics adapter

Primary Graphics Adapter

This allows you to select [Onboard], [PCI] or [PCI Express] as the boot

graphic adapter priority. The default value is [PCI].

So the board may default to looking for video cards in PCI slots and fall back to onboard graphics without looking for cards in pci-e slots.

Set to pci-e to look there first at boot.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

eITHER THE SLOT IS FAULTY or YOU NEED TO GO IN BIOS AND (sorry didnt see caps on) look for a setting that sounds like "initialize graphics from integrated / pci-e " and select pci-e or "external" or whatever is not "onboard" or "integrated" or "igp" (integrated graphics card) or intel gma etc you get the picture.

Sometimes it's called "graphics detect order : igp/pci-e etc" or something

on g41c-gs the manual says advanced > chipset configuration > primary graphics adapter

Primary Graphics Adapter

This allows you to select [Onboard], [PCI] or [PCI Express] as the boot

graphic adapter priority. The default value is [PCI].

So the board may default to looking for video cards in PCI slots and fall back to onboard graphics without looking for cards in pci-e slots.

Set to pci-e to look there first at boot.

That's the exact motherboard model thanks. I'll give that a try and see if anything happens.

So the HD7770 is working on it proving the slot isn't dead and since the HD7770 isn't a power hungry card I assume it's the awful PSU lol. It's an ancient Dell one with no SATA connections or nothing. I'll pick up a cheap 400w or something that will do for it.