The TINIEST Nvidia SLI Setup EVER?

40 minutes ago, honna1612 said:

Why didnt they use MS storage spaces? Upvote please so they can see.

I tried to create a new Storage pool / space and it doesn't see my USB flash drive. However, it sees the USB hard drive, which is even protected with BitLocker. It's the same as with creating dynamic disk in Disk Management. So, I presume Windows checks the Removable Bit Flag even for Storage Space and in the background these technologies shares same components.

5 hours ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Anyone else know exactly what the video was going to be about just by reading the title and looking at the thumbnail?

I was actually convinced the tiny "GPUs" were photoshoped in his hands, as in so many other videos. Turns out this time it was the actual original image, no re-sizing :P 

9 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I find it hilarious that MacOS was able to do it but Windows wasn't xD 

Don't trigger those windows diehards....

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Can it run Crysis? This is a question that actually can be answered. Put Crysis file into the USB and play the game and see whether it will lag. See HardwareCanucks for more information.

Oh hey, it's David Murray, currently known as The 8-Bit Guy. Hi.

I edit after I post, so wait until I'm done editing if you're about to reply.

The Angry Computersmasher - were I probably rant about stuff that irks me.

I saw the video yesterday and I'm still cringing.

10/10 would SLI my cringes again.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I understand why this happened, but I don't like it. So, like a responsible adult, I didn't watch it.

I did watch it, and you're right. It's basically a single joke in an 8 minute video. They didn't mention that linux would be able to software raid these usb drives too, plus there is some awesome stuff that ZFS could have done.

I guess it was kind of funny, and a tiny bit interesting that windows doesn't allow you to RAID usb drives. On the one hand that makes total sense; why would you ever want to do that? But in some weird edge cases it might be useful to do so.

My feelings coming away from the video is that it's too long for a simple joke. It had some potential to teach a thing or two about raid and how windows, OSX and linux do that, but I'm not sure that including that would have made the video better.

Then again, it was enjoyable enough to watch it once without stopping halfway through.

Why even bother with the Mac. It would likely take less than 20 seconds to set up with dmraid on linux...

I wonder if it's possible to saturate the thunderbolt 3 bus with multiple USB sticks in RAID 0...

Wouldn't actually take that many. Flash memory is already fast enough to saturate a single USB 3.0 link (5Gbps) and the fastest flash drives run right up to that limit (400+MB/s). Assuming that each flash drive saturates a separate USB 3.0 controller, each attached to the same thunderbolt 3 port, you'd need only 10 of them to saturate TB3's 50Gbps bandwidth.

6 hours ago, driminicus said:

I did watch it, and you're right. It's basically a single joke in an 8 minute video. They didn't mention that linux would be able to software raid these usb drives too, plus there is some awesome stuff that ZFS could have done.

I guess it was kind of funny, and a tiny bit interesting that windows doesn't allow you to RAID usb drives. On the one hand that makes total sense; why would you ever want to do that? But in some weird edge cases it might be useful to do so.

My feelings coming away from the video is that it's too long for a simple joke. It had some potential to teach a thing or two about raid and how windows, OSX and linux do that, but I'm not sure that including that would have made the video better.

Then again, it was enjoyable enough to watch it once without stopping halfway through.

and not just the single joke but wasted the first several minutes forcing us to rewatch the cringe that was a pitiful april fools joke (that was released on March 31st) all over again, that alone almost made me turn off the video.

37 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

and not just the single joke but wasted the first several minutes forcing us to rewatch the cringe that was a pitiful april fools joke (that was released on March 31st) all over again, that alone almost made me turn off the video.

"Forcing us" 

You guys need to toughen up. It was a silly video. You should have been able to figure that out on the title alone.  You didn't have to watch it, and you shouldn't have if it would bother you that much. If you wanted to learn about RAID then you should have just searched for that. As he said in the video, it's stupid to use RAID on removable disks, so why even go into it? 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

33 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

"Forcing us" 

You guys need to toughen up. It was a silly video. You should have been able to figure that out on the title alone.  You didn't have to watch it, and you shouldn't have if it would bother you that much. If you wanted to learn about RAID then you should have just searched for that. As he said in the video, it's stupid to use RAID on removable disks, so why even go into it? 

REALLY, "should have been able to figure it out from the title", why because we are supposed to expect TITLES TO BE TOTAL BULLSHIT NOW?, HOW MANY small form factor builds and case reviews has LTT done? how is it unreasonable to assume it would have been an SLI in an SFF case video? like using 2 Zotac Mini's (since Zotac recently announced a 1080ti Mini) or go old school and get 2 of the smallest SLI capable video card from any generation (I have some passively cooled single slot SLI capable video cards from way back in the day) I would not put it past them and frankly would have expected it given videos they've already made for this to have been a build using something like that, not some fake ass NOT SLI clickbait crap, if they want to do a video on a RAID array using flash drives FINE, but CALL IT WHAT IT IS, don't call it SLI because the flash drives are shaped like founders edition GPU's

47 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

REALLY, "should have been able to figure it out from the title", why because we are supposed to expect TITLES TO BE TOTAL BULLSHIT NOW?, HOW MANY small form factor builds and case reviews has LTT done? how is it unreasonable to assume it would have been an SLI in an SFF case video? like using 2 Zotac Mini's (since Zotac recently announced a 1080ti Mini) or go old school and get 2 of the smallest SLI capable video card from any generation (I have some passively cooled single slot SLI capable video cards from way back in the day) I would not put it past them and frankly would have expected it given videos they've already made for this to have been a build using something like that, not some fake ass NOT SLI clickbait crap, if they want to do a video on a RAID array using flash drives FINE, but CALL IT WHAT IT IS, don't call it SLI because the flash drives are shaped like founders edition GPU's

They had flash drives in the thumbnail and they already talked about working on it on Facebook and stuff. Then they immediately started talking about flash drives. It was also in the description on YouTube, and in the first post of this topic. 

But even if it wasn't incredibly obvious (it was), you don't need to act like it was emotionally scarring. 

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

They had flash drives in the thumbnail and they already talked about working on it on Facebook and stuff. Then they immediately started talking about flash drives. 

But even if it wasn't incredibly obvious (it was), you don't need to act like it was emotionally scarring. 

yeah sure you can see they are flash drives if you take the time to closely look at the thumbnail (some of us are to busy clicking on the video to play instead of analyzing thumbnails) and notice the keychain loops (and then remember Nvidia actually made that Aprils Fools joke into real flash drives), otherwise it just looks like the photoshopped crap they do on EVERY THUMBNAIL. Maybe you should understand not everyone follows Linus around on every social media platform like you do.

3 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

yeah sure you can see they are flash drives if you take the time to closely look at the thumbnail (some of us are to busy clicking on the video to play instead of analyzing thumbnails) and notice the keychain loops (and then remember Nvidia actually made that Aprils Fools joke into real flash drives), otherwise it just looks like the photoshopped crap they do on EVERY THUMBNAIL. Maybe you should understand not everyone follows Linus around on every social media platform like you do.

My last point remains.  Grow up.

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

My last point remains.  Grow up.

coming from the guy trolling someone for having a different opinion, maybe YOU are the one that needs to GROW UP and understand people are ALLOWED to have an OPINION that differs from YOURS

On 7/16/2017 at 2:19 PM, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Anyone else know exactly what the video was going to be about just by reading the title and looking at the thumbnail?

I thought it was pretty clear based on the thumbnail, but it seems like many people disagree with that.

On 7/16/2017 at 4:30 PM, StevenMattera said:

What's the chances of getting a real tiniest Nvidia SLI setup ever video? Maybe with the ASRock X299 Mini-ITX Build with two GALAX GeForce GTX 1070 KATANA through PCI Express Bifurcation. Could even throw in a Corsair SFX600 PSU and throw it all into a custom built case!

We have a pretty damn awesome SFF build coming later this week :) SLI and everything, stay tuned...

15 hours ago, nicklmg said:

I thought it was pretty clear based on the thumbnail, but it seems like many people disagree with that.

yeah because you guys have NEVER mess with the scale of objects in your thumbnails and this monitor and this thunderbolt hub are really that much bigger then Linus. I mean come on Nick, you know we can't trust the scale of objects on LTT thumbnails to even consider they where the flash drives to start with.

linusscale.jpg

I hated the clickbait

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

15 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Even if they didn't, it should have been obvious given that Linus started talking about the GTX USB drives immediately. It was also in the description. Anyone who complains about this just wants something to complain about.

It's like when people called the thumbnails clickbait because they weren't boring, which is equivalent to getting mad that a website isn't just text. 

The only clickbait that Linus has ever done was the Ryzen 5 thing. 

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

Even if they didn't, it should have been obvious given that Linus started talking about the GTX USB drives immediately. It was also in the description. Anyone who complains about this just wants something to complain about.

It's like when people called the thumbnails clickbait because they weren't boring, which is equivalent to getting mad that a website isn't just text. 

The only clickbait that Linus has ever done was the Ryzen 5 thing. 

so now we need to read video descriptions before watching the video (ignoring the fact the video autoplays and you have to scroll down and expand to see the description) to find out the titles are a LIE? Thats like saying I should read the book the movie was based on to understand why the movie did something a certain way. Is it REALLY so much to ask for, for a title to ACTUALLY describe the video? You are starting to remind me of Eric Cartman in that South Park episode where he steals credit for Jimmy's Fish Sticks joke, just constantly coming up with things people should have done instead of just accepting the BAD TITLE is a BAD TITLE.

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

so now we need to read video descriptions before watching the video (ignoring the fact the video autoplays and you have to scroll down and expand to see the description) to find out the titles are a LIE? Thats like saying I should read the book the movie was based on to understand why the movie did something a certain way. Is it REALLY so much to ask for, for a title to ACTUALLY describe the video? You are starting to remind me of Eric Cartman in that South Park episode where he steals credit for Jimmy's Fish Sticks joke, just constantly coming up with things people should have done instead of just accepting the BAD TITLE is a BAD TITLE.

You're being ridiculous.  If you weren't smart enough to immediately figure out it was about flash drives, then you shouldn't even be using a computer.

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

You're being ridiculous.  If you weren't smart enough to immediately figure out it was about flash drives, then you shouldn't even be using a computer.

once I started the video and he was talking about that stupid april fools joke I knew it was the flash drives, but thats NOT THE POINT, the point is the TITLE IS MISLEADING and is NOT WHAT WAS IN THE VIDEO.

Just now, Daniel644 said:

once I started the video and he was talking about that stupid april fools joke I knew it was the flash drives, but thats NOT THE POINT, the point is the TITLE IS MISLEADING and is NOT WHAT WAS IN THE VIDEO.

Well I'm sorry you were so scarred by it. 9_9