Do I really need to change my PSU? and What should i get?

Kyle Villegas

Hi guys, 

so I recently upgraded my build and encountered a problem with the NZXT Hue + controller where the module would light up but the fans would not (I had all the right drivers and connections) 

So the guys at the service center connected the Hue+ module to a different power supply than the one that was being used by my PC and voila it worked. We also tried just unplugging my gpu and using the integrated graphics and the Hue+ also worked.  So they told me to buy a new one so I started researching and saw that my power supply might actually be fine but I wanted to ask you guys since I'm not very knowledgeable regarding this:

Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte H97 - Gaming 3

Processor: intel i5 - 4590 Haswell Quad Core 

Graphics Card: Gtx 1060 ROG Strix OC 6gb 

Memory: 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Mhz, 2x 4GB Ballistix Tactical Tracer DDR3 1600Mhz

Cooling: NZXT Kraken x52 (2pcs Thermaltake Riing RGB as the radiator fans) 

Storage: 1x 120gb Kingston Hyperx fury, 1x 240gb samsung evo 

Fans: 3x NZXT AER RGB 120mm - just directly connected to mobo for now since i cant get the Hue+ to work

Peripherals - Overwatch chroma black widow keyboard, Logitech Daedalus prime mouse, dragon war violent headset

PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 600w APFC (roughly ~2 years so it might not be giving the full 600w now?) 

The service center guys recommended somewhere around a ~1000w PSU because we tried using a 700w to no avail, my question is what PSU should I go for? as the 1000w psu cost a lot in my country, roughly more or less around the minimum wage for a month. (9000-12000 Philippine pesos) 

Regards,

Kyle

Get something that is more reliable and better quality in the 500W to 600W range 

11 minutes ago, Kyle Villegas said:

The service center guys recommended somewhere around a ~1000w PSU because we tried using a 700w to no avail, my question is what PSU should I go for? as the 1000w psu cost a lot in my country, roughly more or less around the minimum wage for a month. (9000-12000 Philippine pesos) 

Your pc will draw at the most insane extremes about 400w.  I run an OC r7 1700, gtx 1070, 5 fans and 5 rgb lightstrips with a good 550W psu (550g2) and I have plenty of headroom.

Try and get a tier one or two power supply in the 500w - 600w range.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Here is that list I was mentioning btw.

8 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Your pc will draw at the most insane extremes about 400w.  I run an OC r7 1700, gtx 1070, 5 fans and 5 rgb lightstrips with a good 550W psu (550g2) and I have plenty of headroom.

Hi

I have a similar problem than his, but in mine there's not output signal for display. Could it also be the PSU and could we both have the same issue?

2 minutes ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

Hi

I have a similar problem than his, but in mine there's not output signal for display. Could it also be the PSU and could we both have the same issue?

@STRMfrmXMN knows more about power supplies then me but you need to be more detailed

12 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Yeah I suspect that the quality of the PSU is what's causing the problem here since it's basically just a sh*t tier PSU and has degraded over the past 2 years. Not sure how will I test this theory though without actually buying one. I'll take a look at that list and take your word for it, I really think 1000w is overkill since 650w is already high

15 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Here is that list I was mentioning btw.

Do you have a way of knowing how much power my rig is currently using? I want to show the guys at the service center the calculation because they are pretty adamant i buy a 850-1000w psu T_T

1 minute ago, Kyle Villegas said:

Do you have a way of knowing how much power my rig is currently using? I want to show the guys at the service center the calculation because they are pretty adamant i buy a 850-1000w psu T_T

I'm pretty sure this is ultra overkill

Just now, The Belgian Waffle said:

I'm pretty sure this is ultra overkill

That's what I thought plus it's ultra overkill on my bank account as well. I'm currently looking at the Corsair RM650 or RM750x since it's tier 1 on @Damascus list. There isn't any compatibility settings or anything to look out for when buying PSU's right? please do correct me if i'm wrong.

28 minutes ago, Kyle Villegas said:

That's what I thought plus it's ultra overkill on my bank account as well. I'm currently looking at the Corsair RM650 or RM750x since it's tier 1 on @Damascus list. There isn't any compatibility settings or anything to look out for when buying PSU's right? please do correct me if i'm wrong.

You'd be fine, these things are universal.  The RMx series are great value high end psu's and they should work well.

1 hour ago, Kyle Villegas said:

Hi guys, 

so I recently upgraded my build and encountered a problem with the NZXT Hue + controller where the module would light up but the fans would not (I had all the right drivers and connections) 

So the guys at the service center connected the Hue+ module to a different power supply than the one that was being used by my PC and voila it worked. We also tried just unplugging my gpu and using the integrated graphics and the Hue+ also worked.  So they told me to buy a new one so I started researching and saw that my power supply might actually be fine but I wanted to ask you guys since I'm not very knowledgeable regarding this:

Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte H97 - Gaming 3

Processor: intel i5 - 4590 Haswell Quad Core 

Graphics Card: Gtx 1060 ROG Strix OC 6gb 

Memory: 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Mhz, 2x 4GB Ballistix Tactical Tracer DDR3 1600Mhz

Cooling: NZXT Kraken x52 (2pcs Thermaltake Riing RGB as the radiator fans) 

Storage: 1x 120gb Kingston Hyperx fury, 1x 240gb samsung evo 

Fans: 3x NZXT AER RGB 120mm - just directly connected to mobo for now since i cant get the Hue+ to work

Peripherals - Overwatch chroma black widow keyboard, Logitech Daedalus prime mouse, dragon war violent headset

PSU: Thermaltake Litepower 600w APFC (roughly ~2 years so it might not be giving the full 600w now?) 

Regards,

Kyle

Using a 1000W PSU for a GTX 1060 and i5 system that will never even draw 200W under load is idiotic. A 700W is idiotic at that. A Corsair CX450 would do the job just fine for you.

That Thermaltake is pretty crappy, yes, so replace it.

The guys at the service center probably have monetary incentive to exaggerate how much power your system needs. Again, the Corsair CX450 would be fine for you.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

On 17/07/2017 at 0:48 AM, STRMfrmXMN said:

Using a 1000W PSU for a GTX 1060 and i5 system that will never even draw 200W under load is idiotic. A 700W is idiotic at that. A Corsair CX450 would do the job just fine for you.

That Thermaltake is pretty crappy, yes, so replace it.

The guys at the service center probably have monetary incentive to exaggerate how much power your system needs. Again, the Corsair CX450 would be fine for you.

Hi STRMfrmXMN, 

I looked around here and found that in my country they sell the CX450 at roughly the same price as the RM550x so I'm thinking of going with that since it's fully modular and has a 80+ gold rating. It'll still be more than enough to power my rig right? even with my kraken x52, aerocool p7-c1 multiple led strips and nzxt hue+ with the aer rgb fans? 

Regards,

Kyle

5 minutes ago, Kyle Villegas said:

Hi STRMfrmXMN, 

I looked around here and found that in my country they sell the CX450 at roughly the same price as the RM550x so I'm thinking of going with that since it's fully modular and has a 80+ gold rating. It'll still be more than enough to power my rig right? even with my kraken x52, aerocool p7-c1 multiple led strips and nzxt hue+ with the aer rgb fans? 

Regards,

Kyle

More than enough

2 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

More than enough

Hi NoobCase,

Thanks for your reply. I'll be picking up the RM550x over the weekend then.

Cheers!

Kyle

8 hours ago, Kyle Villegas said:

Hi STRMfrmXMN, 

Regards,

Kyle

Yes, plenty and the RMx is a much better unit despite being kinda overkill. Guess price dictates it so go for it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

5 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Yes, plenty and the RMx is a much better unit despite being kinda overkill. Guess price dictates it so go for it.

Thanks for all the help! It was a pretty good idea to come here and ask. You guys just saved me a ton of money on what could have been a 12 thousand peso psu. Very very very much appreciated!!