Quote snipped

Go to solution Solved by vanished,
12 hours ago, fpo said:

I agree but it's like saying the sign says "take 1." Then a bunch of people take 5 or the whole bowl. 

Not everyobe has followed to the social expectancy, and new users don't always know you can modify quotes. 

Well, in addition to what I said above, I don't expect this to happen.  Even some very good ideas just never get added because of the technical difficulty.  One that comes to mind is having the editor remove formatting by default and only add it back if you click the link, rather than the other way around.

Add this?   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Make a quote snipped feature?

• Yes
    • No

Tl;dr:

mobile users don't have time to snip quotes. Add a button that snips it for them so other mobile users don't have to scroll through quotes 10 screens long. 

Long version:

i mean... tl;dr summed it up....

but it should have like a Lenny or special character just so people know it was quote snipped cuz... it's like a collectible Pokémon. :P

maybe that character that's like a solid block on both sides. Like how MW2 Xbox names would be xXxE-1337 H4x0я snooper 420 xXx

If you have time to type out a reply you have time to snip.  There's no excuse, it's not that hard

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Snip

I agree but it's like saying the sign says "take 1." Then a bunch of people take 5 or the whole bowl. 

Not everyobe has followed to the social expectancy, and new users don't always know you can modify quotes. 

12 hours ago, fpo said:

Well, in addition to what I said above, I don't expect this to happen.  Even some very good ideas just never get added because of the technical difficulty.  One that comes to mind is having the editor remove formatting by default and only add it back if you click the link, rather than the other way around.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

happy 13,337 posts lol

I used to be quite active here.

13 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

happy 13,337 posts lol

Toot 

IMG_2101.PNG

10 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I just do ctrl a and then press backspace, followed by -snip-

a lot of people aren't gonna get how that's possible on mobile.  Also, you wouldn't have to hit backspace, you can just start typing and whatever is selected will be replaced.

5 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I just do ctrl a and then press backspace, followed by -snip-

Few manual selects and cuts does same. Removing non-needed parts of split quote is more annoying.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Snip

7 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

snip

Thing is, it was intended for a convienience for mobile users. 

Mayve if it was ONLY available on mobile, it would make more sense. If not, simply replace the existing quote button for mobile users but that may cause some controversy. 

All too too often I see mobile users quoting really long replies and people other than I will say, "couldn't you snip" and the reply will be "I'm on mobile." For other mobile users it's annoying to scroll through the same post 2 or more times because other mobile users won't snip. 

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Snip 

It works on every phone. 

56 minutes ago, fpo said:

Thing is, it was intended for a convienience for mobile users. 

Mayve if it was ONLY available on mobile, it would make more sense. If not, simply replace the existing quote button for mobile users but that may cause some controversy. 

All too too often I see mobile users quoting really long replies and people other than I will say, "couldn't you snip" and the reply will be "I'm on mobile." For other mobile users it's annoying to scroll through the same post 2 or more times because other mobile users won't snip. 

Removing parts of quotes post is still easier than some other tasks. I don't see that as priority, not by far. Like I said, my biggest issues on mobile are removing extra parts of splitted quotes because I can't select them in same way I do on desktop. So I'm left with these:

Plus, since I can't tag anyone on mobile without browser crashing, quoting is main think for me to address some users which I would rather have tagged.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

snip

@LoGiCalDrm I can quote snip and mention fine on iPhone 5C (with a shattered screen that's missing pieces, and an 8gb model ) I thought it was entirely laziness but yeah, that probable hardware and manufacturer's limitation sounds horrid to deal with. 

3 hours ago, fpo said:

@LoGiCalDrm I can quote snip and mention fine on iPhone 5C (with a shattered screen that's missing pieces, and an 8gb model ) I thought it was entirely laziness but yeah, that probable hardware and manufacturer's limitation sounds horrid to deal with. 

It's probably more to do with browser than phone. I use Firefox for forums. And tagging has been broken for me since upgrade.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You can collapse quotes while viewing a topic by clicking the down arrow in the top left corner of the quote. I do agree that it would be nice to automatically limit the height of quotes though, like with signatures, but there are a lot of things that would be nice to add, so I can't promise that it will ever happen.

HTTP/2 203

Wait... You can collapse quotes... AND IT ISN'T DONE BY DEFAULT?!??!

Why not make quotes start collapsed, and if the user wants to read the quote they can expand it themselves?

Edit: Alternatively... remove quotes altogether. People use the quote button like it's the reply button, but if they only have the reply button...

I don't know what I'm doing, and you can't stop me!

6 hours ago, Neomuffins said:

Edit: Alternatively... remove quotes altogether. People use the quote button like it's the reply button, but if they only have the reply button...

I agree with the first part of you statement, however not the second. 

If people didn't quote, I'd never reply to them. I don't want a notification for every topic I've ever commented on. It'd be group messages all over again.... AUNT, DAD, OTHER PEOPLE... STOPPPPP REPLYING!!! WHY DID YOU ADD ME TO THE GROUP CHAT?!?! WHY COULDN'T IT BE A FACEBOOK GROUP CHAT! MY PHONE IS GOING TO EXPLODE FOR THE NEXT 2 FRIGGIN' MONTHS!

Mentioning people is technically a better way to respond IMO, so MAYBE a "mention" button would be better, as people need to get the notifications, and not a notification for every single post that's made. 

EDIT:
A mention button would also be better as some people have really complex names that are difficult to remember and type out efficiently. 

1 hour ago, fpo said:

snipp-i-dee-doo-dah

You're right about the notifications, removing quoting wouldn't work.

But I stand by the rest of it, quotes should start collapsed, and people should really learn to use the reply button.

I haven't been here long, or posted much, but 2 out of the 3 threads I've started here have had the second post quote the entire first post and follow it up with a single word. A few of the threads I visit and read have similar first-post-requotes in them. Build logs are lousy with people quoting the OPs picture dumps and saying "cool build!" and thats it. And while its nice, and thoughtful, it is also making the logs hard to read sometimes.

4 hours ago, Neomuffins said:

But I stand by the rest of it, quotes should start collapsed, and people should really learn to use the reply button.

I haven't been here long, or posted much, but 2 out of the 3 threads I've started here have had the second post quote the entire first post and follow it up with a single word. A few of the threads I visit and read have similar first-post-requotes in them. Build logs are lousy with people quoting the OPs picture dumps and saying "cool build!"

People use the reply button, but when they want to reply to a specific individual they will NOT be notified unless it is the OP (original poster.)

A large majority of first replies are REALLLLYYYY long quotes. Often never snipped. As well as the latter. 

EDIT:

The "cool build" comments shouldn't exist. That's why the thumbs up button exists. 

59 minutes ago, fpo said:

People use the reply button, but when they want to reply to a specific individual they will NOT be notified unless it is the OP (original poster.)

A large majority of first replies are REALLLLYYYY long quotes. Often never snipped. As well as the latter. 

EDIT:

The "cool build" comments shouldn't exist. That's why the thumbs up button exists. 

The reply button being the button that jumps to the editor, to just make a global post? People only quote when they are responding to a specific post, so unless that post is the first post in the topic (which it usually isn't), quoting is required. Also, quotes are needed to add context to what the person is saying - when someone replies to a post, you need to actually know which post they are replying to. Sometimes, when people snip quotes, you have to use the button in the other corner to jump to the quoted post, to actually see what they're responding to. While default collapsed quotes would alleviate that somewhat, people would end up just opening the quote to see what it is, then potentially collapsing it again, so it would have been better open to begin with.

The optimal solution, IMO, is to do something similar to the signatures, where it cuts off at a certain point, and can be expanded or contracted if required. Unfortunately, my time available to work on the forum is quite limited, so I'm only able to work on a few things, so it's unlikely that I'll be able to work on it any time soon.

HTTP/2 203

7 hours ago, Neomuffins said:

No way. Multiquote is almost only way I even reply. Other wise I just scroll down and use reply box. Plus, if you thinking of disabling possibility for quoting OP, there are uses for that too. Like when OP is asking multiple questions, I can break it to several smaller quotes or use as reference rather than scrolling up and down page.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

No way. Multiquote is almost only way I even reply. Other wise I just scroll down and use reply box. Plus, if you thinking of disabling possibility for quoting OP, there are uses for that too. Like when OP is asking multiple questions, I can break it to several smaller quotes or use as reference rather than scrolling up and down page.

Love how everyone is commenting on the jokey after thought and not the actual content of the post... even when I already addressed this.

9 hours ago, Neomuffins said:

Love how everyone is commenting on the jokey after thought and not the actual content of the post... even when I already addressed this.

It's difficult to detect sarcasm, and jokes in plain text responses. Also because this is a thread dedicated to limiting quotes, it seems like you actually suggested it as a valid alternative.