Vanquisher

Vanquisher's P3 Build

Posted · Original PosterOP

I transplanted this system out of my G5 Powermac Case but will be using this thread to keep the build updated as I go. I'm mostly finished but next step is going to be larger rad with a hardpipe setup. Just planning that whole thing out its a lot of work lol.

Current Specs:

• Intel i7 4790K @ 4.6
  • Asus Z97-AR Board
  • 32GB G.Skill Sniper Ram
  • Thermaltake Water 3.0 RGB AIO
  • 2x Nvidia Titan Xp SLI
  • Samsung 850 EVO SSDs (500GB/1TB)
  • Coolermaster V1000 PSU
  • Cablemods custom cable kit
  • 2x Dell U3415W 34" Ultrawides
  • Tempered Glass Side Upgrade

35386300321_b887061938_b.jpg

34707387063_0ee3fbbaa8_b.jpg

34675745534_01e98ab7b6_b.jpg

I'll be switching this up actually hopefully tomorrow. New mobo and ram is incoming and will be delivered tomorrow. I also recently got in on that 6850K deal for 299.99 (picked up 2). Been looking to change my setup and get on a x16/x16 setup for the titans. The 4790K/Mobo probably will sell or thinking of putting back into my G5 Case.

Mods Incoming:

• ASUS Rampage V Edition 10
  • Intel i7 6850K (Hoping to get 4.5ghz stable)
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB Ram
6 minutes ago, Vanquisher said:

I'll be switching this up actually hopefully tomorrow. New mobo and ram is incoming and will be delivered tomorrow. I also recently got in on that 6850K deal for 299.99 (picked up 2). Been looking to change my setup and get on a x16/x16 setup for the titans. The 4790K/Mobo probably will sell or thinking of putting back into my G5 Case.

Mods Incoming:

• ASUS Rampage V Edition 10
  • Intel i7 6850K (Hoping to get 4.5ghz stable)
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB Ram

Why though? X16/X16 doesn't mean extra performance at all, and while X99 is a stable architecture it's a downgrade when it comes to gaming performance

If I helped, hit the thumbs up icon below my post and pick it as 'Best Answer'

Quick Links: i used to have shit here but the mods removed half of it lol

Mouse enthusiast. eGPU guy. Resident EliteBook fetishist.  My specs and shit down below.

Spoiler

Apollo: i5 4670K @ 4.6Ghz, Corsair H100i, MSI Z87I, EVGA GTX 1070 SC ACX3, Corsair 250D, 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, SeaSonic 520W PSU. Planned upgrades: 16GB RAM, 480/512GB SSD, new HDD

Sputnik: HP EliteBook 2570p, i5-3360M, 16GB DDR3, 256GB 840 EVO - Running Win10/Sierra dual-boot.  Future upgrades: i7-quad

Comet (home server): Atom D2500, 4GB 1066Mhz RAM, 2 x 320GB HDDs, 350W PSU, HAF-Stacker ITX, dual GbE. Cost me $80. back from the dead (mobo failure) bois

Spoiler

Main peripherals

- Corsair Strafe RGB MX Reds

- SteelSeries Siberia 650

- SteelSeries QcK+ CS:GO Camo 

- SteelSeries QcK+ Na'Vi Splash (Secondary pad, used for second rig)

- SteelSeries Rival 700

- SteelSeries Rival 300 (Secondary mouse, used for second rig)

NO ONE SLEEPS IN TOKYO, ALL RIGHT CROSSING THE LINE, NO ONE QUIT THE RADIO, TOKYO IS ON FIRE! 

26 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Why though? X16/X16 doesn't mean extra performance at all, and while X99 is a stable architecture it's a downgrade when it comes to gaming performance

I don't see how running the 6850K at the sameish clocks would be a downgrade in anyway. If anything expect to see better performance. Maybe I'm wrong. There is a lot of debate on no gain with x16/x16 but I've seen otherwise in a few scenarios. Also just wanted to refresh the system and get some more RGB goodness since the new case is open. Got a good deal on the 6850 so going to go with it. Can use the 4790k system elsewhere in the house.

Prob will get a threadripper system eventually but I'll wait for the data.

Looks great! And it used to be in a PowerMac G5? I've been thinking about upgrading the current hardware in my old PowerMac G5, so it can run Sierra. Any tips?

Maxwell is still awesome, and so is X58. If you wanna discuss the X58 platform and get tips and advice: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion. If you want to discuss old Star Wars games like Battlefront II and KOTOR, check out my thread: Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, @WhisperingKnickers.

Current build:

CPU: Xeon X5675

CPU Cooler: Gammax 400
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Formula
Memory: 8GB ADATA XPG V1.0 (red) + 16GB HyperX 
Storage: HyperX Fury 120GB SSD
Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD

More storage: 2TB something or other drive lying around. 
Video Card: MSI Gaming 980 Ti 6G 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620W

2012 MacBook Pro (Work): 2.9GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 525GB SSD. 

iPad Pro: magic (and you can't open it up to disprove it, as it's glued shut). Jk, it's got an A9X with 4GB RAM. I didn't need it, so I surrendered it to my Mum.  She never used it so It's mine again. 

iPhone 6 Plus: more magic, with an A8 and 1GB RAM. 

11 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Looks great! And it used to be in a PowerMac G5? I've been thinking about upgrading the current hardware in my old PowerMac G5, so it can run Sierra. Any tips?

Thanks! Yup I did the casemod last year or so. It was a little harder than I thought it was going to be. Definitely one of those projects you measure 3 times and cut once. I used the mountainmods tray kit for it. Get a good dremel and have a lot of patience. Also checkout laserhive as they have a really nice cut bracket for a radiator which is a must IMO.

If I had to do it again in all honesty I would have went with the tray kit with a single 120mm in the rear and run a AIO just on that. Then just use some 140MM fans on the laser bracket to pull fresh air in from the front. I always thought about drilling two 120MM holes in the top of the case for top exhaust but didn't want to mess the case up. Tonymacx86 has a lot of knowledge and its got a good list of hardware that works well. Check that and plan accordingly.

They also sell a nice cable kit that plugs into the OE front panel and lets you use normal MB cables for power switch, led, etc. I personally looked up the wiring diagram on tonymac and did the wiring myself. Saved me some bucks but its not as clean that is for sure. My whole front panel works OE except for firewire which I covered with an i7 sticker :)

29984223611_b7d84b0565_z.jpg

16959255386_6e430e4ab7_b.jpg

The bracket:

21961881661_334ddf48ac_b.jpg

36 minutes ago, Vanquisher said:

Thanks! Yup I did the casemod last year or so. It was a little harder than I thought it was going to be. Definitely one of those projects you measure 3 times and cut once. I used the mountainmods tray kit for it. Get a good dremel and have a lot of patience. Also checkout laserhive as they have a really nice cut bracket for a radiator which is a must IMO.

If I had to do it again in all honesty I would have went with the tray kit with a single 120mm in the rear and run a AIO just on that. Then just use some 140MM fans on the laser bracket to pull fresh air in from the front. I always thought about drilling two 120MM holes in the top of the case for top exhaust but didn't want to mess the case up. Tonymacx86 has a lot of knowledge and its got a good list of hardware that works well. Check that and plan accordingly.

They also sell a nice cable kit that plugs into the OE front panel and lets you use normal MB cables for power switch, led, etc. I personally looked up the wiring diagram on tonymac and did the wiring myself. Saved me some bucks but its not as clean that is for sure. My whole front panel works OE except for firewire which I covered with an i7 sticker :)

Noice! And yeah I'll make sure and check TonyMac (though don't give me too much advice, since giving instructions on building hackintoshes is against the rules). Though IDK if this counts as a hackintosh, since it's basically upgrading the hardware inside an Apple branded computer (they already let you swap RAM, GPU, CPU, drives, etc. ). The only extra thing I'd be swapping out is some fans and a mobo. Best not to discuss it though, so the thread doesn't get locked. 

If a mod sees this, is it okay to discuss Hackintoshes via PM, or not at all? And just delete this post instead of locking the thread if it's against the guidelines. 

EDIT: just checked the guidelines, and we can use broad terms, but not get down to the nitty gritty of how to actually make a Hackintosh. 

Maxwell is still awesome, and so is X58. If you wanna discuss the X58 platform and get tips and advice: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion. If you want to discuss old Star Wars games like Battlefront II and KOTOR, check out my thread: Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, @WhisperingKnickers.

Current build:

CPU: Xeon X5675

CPU Cooler: Gammax 400
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Formula
Memory: 8GB ADATA XPG V1.0 (red) + 16GB HyperX 
Storage: HyperX Fury 120GB SSD
Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD

More storage: 2TB something or other drive lying around. 
Video Card: MSI Gaming 980 Ti 6G 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620W

2012 MacBook Pro (Work): 2.9GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 525GB SSD. 

iPad Pro: magic (and you can't open it up to disprove it, as it's glued shut). Jk, it's got an A9X with 4GB RAM. I didn't need it, so I surrendered it to my Mum.  She never used it so It's mine again. 

iPhone 6 Plus: more magic, with an A8 and 1GB RAM.