Computer never stable - I'm at a complete loss. Please send help

deWaardt

Hi, I'm coming to beg for help as I'm completely done.

I have this computer, it is not stable. It never is stable. It's not gonna be stable and it's an annoying turd. I'm at a complete loss as to why it keeps crashing.

The specifications:

AMD Athlon 860K @4ghz

12GB DDR3 (some 8gb kingston and some 4gb kingston of the same specs). In case you ask, yes I've ran the system with just 8GB of ram. Still crashes. Testing with 4GB is near impossible as barely any game runs with 4GB.

Asrock FM2A88M-hd+ rev 2.0

Gigabyte GTX 950

Seasonic S12II 520w.

The symptons:
It just dies. It whatever, sometimes it quits with graphical distortions over the screen, sometimes the screen just turns black and the computer becomes unresponsive, sometimes the screen turns black but sound keeps going, sometimes it just restarts.

It started doing this two or three months ago. It usually happens during gaming, but is very intermittent. Sometimes I go a week without anything going on, other times it just craps out after 5 minutes of gaming.

The computer works perfectly fine with no ill-symptons, until it just quits.

What I tried:

At first I started with stability tests. I've tried multiple tools for the CPU and the GPU, both of which passed a ~30/32 hour stress test. Also if you run the CPU and the GPU at the same time.

I hooked a multimeter up to my power supply and noticed a lot of frequent drops to 11v or even lower. As I thought the power supply was bad, I swapped the power supply out with a brand new Seasonic S12II 520w and was confident all my problems were gone.

Basically a day after I installed the new power supply it crashed again.

I cleaned the entire PC, made sure all temps stay within their range, cleared all overclocks, ran a memtest, but it just doesn't matter.

Everything comes out fine, but the PC still runs like ass.

I DDU's the drivers multiple times, I completely reinstalled the motherboard/chipset drivers multiple times, tried all kinds of different driver versions, but no-go.

Should I just toss the entire system in the trash, light it on fire and build a new one, or is there something I completely oversaw?

I'm pulling out my hairs as I try to prevent myself from dumping the PC out of the window from third floor.

Please send help and prayers. A bottle of whine is fine too.

My first guess would be the Motherboard since it both restarts and just goes black-screen.

What I would do (If possible) switch the motherboard or just test your CPU, GPU, RAM & PSU in another motherboard and if that doesn't help, I would go further with testing each single piece.

Q: How many prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Yes.

Have you tried simply reinstalling Windows?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

5 minutes ago, MathiasVN said:

My first guess would be the Motherboard since it both restarts and just goes black-screen.

What I would do (If possible) switch the motherboard or just test your CPU, GPU, RAM & PSU in another motherboard and if that doesn't help, I would go further with testing each single piece.

Unfortunately trying another motherboard is no option. Everybody here hates AMD with passion, because welcome in the land of fanboyism.

I could try the GPU somewhere else, it could be a culprit as it only crashes during gaming.

But why would the GPU crash while gaming, but is rock solid in a stress test? The PSU is adequate.

I could go out and RMA literally every single part...

4 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Have you tried simply reinstalling Windows?

Yea, even tried running a completely different operating system, same problems.

Stable during stress test, unstable during actual gaming.

4 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

Unfortunately trying another motherboard is no option. Everybody here hates AMD with passion, because welcome in the land of fanboyism.

I could go out and RMA literally every single part...

I would say it's the motherboard too. Can you try to RMA that?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

Uh, yea should be possible.

If the motherboard goes RMA, I'll just package everything up and send everything RMA.

Wish I didn't have to go this path. This PC has been nothing but trouble.

4 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

But why would the GPU crash while gaming, but is rock solid in a stress test? The PSU is adequate

It can be a bug with the current driver and your GPU Aswell, i would actually try to downgrade to a version of GPU Driver before it started crashing.

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

I agree.

Get a catholic priest to bless you holy bytes. If that doesn't work, sell your soul to satan.

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

Just now, MathiasVN said:

It can be a bug with the current driver and your GPU Aswell, i would actually try to downgrade to a version of GPU Driver before it started crashing.

I agree.

I already tried that. I wrote it in the OP.

I tried the driver version that was on the disc, tried the one that was recent at the date I bought it, tried 5 different recent versions, no-go.

1 minute ago, Fatelinha said:

Get a catholic priest to bless you holy bytes. If that doesn't work, sell your soul to satan.

Haha that sounds like a pretty good solution to this problem. If this thing isn't cursed I don't know what it is.

6 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

I already tried that. I wrote it in the OP.

I tried the driver version that was on the disc, tried the one that was recent at the date I bought it, tried 5 different recent versions, no-go.

Then i would RMA the Motherboard

Just now, MathiasVN said:

Then i would RMA the Motherboard

I'll just RMA everything.

Either I wait half a month with a non-functional PC, or I wait half a month without the entire PC, makes no difference to me.

Sigh..

Thanks for the help gents, I'll start packaging things and hope my problems will be over with one day.

The webshop's warehouse can deal with my demon-cursed hardware.