Internet being really slow

Garrison Marsh
1 minute ago, Septimus said:

Head over the "Analyze" tab at the top, and look at the chart to determine if there are other overlapping networks in your area. Look at both the 2.4GHz spectrum and the 5GHz spectrum (I doubt there will be any interference on the 5GHz spectrum). The frequency can be changed on the bottom, it will say either 2.4GHz or 5GHz, just click it to switch back and forth. 

The network I am on is on 11 and so is my neighbor's wifi for 2.4ghz and there are 2 other networks on 1 and 1 network on 6, on 5ghz there are no other networks

1 minute ago, Septimus said:

Any overlapping networks? What is the dBm of the 2.4 and 5GHz networks? 

the 2.4ghz is -69dBm and I just realized I need to be doing this on my laptop so I can see the 5ghz

Just now, Garrison Marsh said:

The network I am on is on 11 and so is my neighbor's wifi for 2.4ghz and there are 2 other networks on 1 and 1 network on 6,

:/ Sounds like a crowded area. For the best performance, use the 5GHz network and get a new Wi-Fi adapter, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GC-WB867D-I-Bluetooth-Frequency-Expansion/dp/B00HF8K0O6 

To help out your 2.4GHz network a little bit, I would advise switching it over to channel 8. 

the 2.4ghz is -69dBm and I just realized I need to be doing this on my laptop so I can see the 5ghz

The connection strength for the 2.4GHz network is fine, but the low bandwidth verifies the earlier claim of lots of interference. 

Just now, Septimus said:

:/ Sounds like a crowded area. For the best performance, use the 5GHz network and get a new Wi-Fi adapter, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GC-WB867D-I-Bluetooth-Frequency-Expansion/dp/B00HF8K0O6 

To help out your 2.4GHz network a little bit, I would advise switching it over to channel 8. 

Okay that all makes sense now about why my pc was the only one that was slow since it was the only thing using 2.4ghz

2 minutes ago, Septimus said:

So do you think if I get that new wifi card it will be good?

1 minute ago, Garrison Marsh said:

Okay that all makes sense now about why my pc was the only one that was slow since it was the only thing using 2.4ghz

There's some setting also on WiFi adapters that usually slows them down. My laptop was like that by default. I'll try find out the name of the setting because it may help a little bit.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

Short answer: interference. 

Long answer: 

A culmination of things including electromagnetic interference and other interference from your neighbor's 2.4GHz networks. The different channels you see in the Wi-Fi Analyzer app are actually different frequencies of the common 2.4GHz spectrum. If all Wi-Fi networks and things like wireless home phones and baby monitors used the radio frequency of exactly 2.4GHz, things would be a mess. Each channel is a slightly different frequency, allowing for more space between the radio waves in the air, preventing clutter/interference. 

2 minutes ago, Garrison Marsh said:

So do you think if I get that new wifi card it will be good?

I certainly think that it will improve. What are the speeds you were getting on the 5GHz network while standing 10 feet away from your router? I would expect the speeds to be 60%-70% of that. 

So try right clicking the connection on the bottom right on you pc, go to network and sharing center, go to adapter settings. Right click on your wifi adapter and go properties. Hit configure. In the advanced tab enable multimedia/gaming environment then press ok and try it again.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

2 minutes ago, steocullen91 said:

So try right clicking the connection on the bottom right on you pc, going to network and sharing center, go to adapter settings. Right click on your wifi adapter and go properties. Hit configure. In the advanced tab enable multimedia/gaming environment and try it again.

I don't have the multimedia/gaming option

I don't have the multimedia/gaming option

That's what its called on ours. What settings are there because it might just vary by region?

8 minutes ago, Septimus said:

Short answer: interference. 

Long answer: 

A culmination of things including electromagnetic interference and other interference from your neighbor's 2.4GHz networks. The different channels you see in the Wi-Fi Analyzer app are actually different frequencies of the common 2.4GHz spectrum. If all Wi-Fi networks and things like wireless home phones and baby monitors used the radio frequency of exactly 2.4GHz, things would be a mess. Each channel is a slightly different frequency, allowing for more space between the radio waves in the air, preventing clutter/interference. 

Ok wait so something just happened. I dont know what it is but now on my pc and my laptop (on 5ghz) the speeds are sukper slow like 1.1 down 4.7 up 229ms

1 minute ago, Garrison Marsh said:

Ok wait so something just happened. I dont know what it is but now on my pc and my laptop (on 5ghz) the speeds are sukper slow like 1.1 down 4.7 up 229ms

Yeah I think you should if possible try it with an ethernet cable to rule out an ISP issue here first.

That's what its called on ours. What settings are there because it might just vary by region?

AdHoc 11n

Network Address

Receive Buffers

Scan Valid Interval

Transmit Buffers

If you get your full speed by cable then it's just a wifi issue. I suggest using an odd channel like 8 or 13 if all the others 1, 6 and 11 are taken

If you get your full speed by cable then it's just a wifi issue. I suggest using an odd channel like 8 or 13 if all the others 1, 6 and 11 are taken

14 minutes ago, Septimus said:

I certainly think that it will improve. What are the speeds you were getting on the 5GHz network while standing 10 feet away from your router? I would expect the speeds to be 60%-70% of that. 

Omg guys I just figured out why the signal got  really bad about 15 minutes ago... Its cus my mom closed the door to the office with the router. I did 2 speed tests on my pc and my laptop, one with the door open and one with it closed and there is a massive difference. Still will probably get the new card though and switch the channel to make sure it is super fast but i think this was my main problem.

I'm going to do a test playing a game to see if my ping isn't in the hundreds anymore

Yeah brick walls and metal are an absolute huge factor here when dealing with wireless signal interference.

Just now, steocullen91 said:

Yeah brick walls and metal are an absolute huge factor here when dealing with wireless signal interference.

Well thanks for you guy's help but i think I found the problem, a frriggen door xD . literally just had the most satisfying game of overwatch ever since i'd been used to playing at 250ms ping

2 minutes ago, Septimus said:

Glad you got it figured out. Out of curiosity, what's the door made of? 

wood xD

at least i think.. after this i might need to do some research into that door lol

Haha that's weird. It probably has a metal plate somewhere. Like I have a metal shed and no way can you get any signal not even a bar of cell.