Internet being really slow

Garrison Marsh
1 hour ago, Garrison Marsh said:

So why do you think my brother's laptop got such a good connection from my room but every other device doesn't?

I'm pretty sure all recent MacBooks, as well as most other laptops, have wireless cards compatible with the AC standard, meaning that they have increased range and bandwidth capabilities. 

5 minutes ago, Septimus said:

I'm pretty sure all recent MacBooks, as well as most other laptops, have wireless cards compatible with the AC standard, meaning that they have increased range and bandwidth capabilities. 

so do you think if i got a new wifi card for my PC then that would help?

Edit: alsa the macbook is from 2008 i believe, would that one have the newer wifi card

Just now, Garrison Marsh said:

If you're willing to, I would advise doing some more troubleshooting with help from people on this forum as well as your ISP (if it comes to that) and other free alternatives before you go and buy a new component that won't guarantee a fix. 

Just now, Septimus said:

If you're willing to, I would advise doing some more troubleshooting with help from people on this forum as well as your ISP (if it comes to that) and other free alternatives before you go and buy a new component that won't guarantee a fix. 

I was planning on getting a new one since mine doesn't support bluetooth but if you think I can fix it without buying a new card ill give it a try

I was planning on getting a new one since mine doesn't support bluetooth but if you think I can fix it without buying a new card ill give it a try

I think there's a high probability you can fix it. I had speeds around 0.65 Mb/s on my 5GHz network and got it up to 68Mb/s. 

3 minutes ago, Septimus said:

I think there's a high probability you can fix it. I had speeds around 0.65 Mb/s on my 5GHz network and got it up to 68Mb/s. 

I just did another test on the macbook on the 5ghz wifi and it got 55 down 5 up and 52 ms in my room which is really good so wouln't that mean if I got a wifi card as good as that one then it would work?

5 minutes ago, Garrison Marsh said:

Edit: alsa the macbook is from 2008 i believe, would that one have the newer wifi card

Definitely don't think that MacBook has an AC Wi-Fi adapter as the AC standard was approved in 2013 (according to Wikipedia). 

Have you tested the differences in speed on both the 2.4GHz network and the 5GHz network while 10 feet from the router, as well as the speeds while connected via Ethernet? 

1 minute ago, Garrison Marsh said:

I just did another test on the macbook on the 5ghz wifi and it got 55 down 5 up and 52 ms in my room which is really good so wouln't that mean if I got a wifi card as good as that one then it would work?

Can you tell me what Wi-Fi adapter you have? Based on that I can tell you whether or not it will imrpove. 

Just now, Septimus said:

Definitely don't think that MacBook has an AC Wi-Fi adapter as the AC standard was approved in 2013 (according to Wikipedia). 

Have you tested the differences in speed on both the 2.4GHz network and the 5GHz network while 10 feet from the router, as well as the speeds while connected via Ethernet? 

I haven't tried ethernet yet but i did do it close to the router and on 5ghz it was about 50-60 down and 20 up and on 2.4ghz it was about 20 down and 8 up

on 2.4ghz it was about 20 down and 8 up

This indicates interference on that band. Where is your router located? In a pile of wires perhaps? Are its antenna(s) facing upward or towards your room? 

1 minute ago, Garrison Marsh said:

That Wi-Fi adapter supports up to the "n" standard, so it is a bit older. Technically, you should only be able to receive 300Mb/s (35MB/s) on that Wi-Fi adapter. Upgrading to one with the AC standard would improve maximum bandwidth and connection strength. Before buying a new one, let's see if it would be beneficial to buy a new one or not...

2 minutes ago, Septimus said:

This indicates interference on that band. Where is your router located? In a pile of wires perhaps? Are its antenna(s) facing upward or towards your room? 

Any progress with this? 

The router is in a room down the hallway from my room, there are 2 walls that it goes through to get here and probably about 30 feet distance between the router and my pc if that helps. it is on a shelf and there are 3 antennas and the middle one is facing up and the 2 others and angled slightly but still up. and no its not very cluttered on that shelf there are a few books that could be moved if it would hlep the signal though

The router is in a room down the hallway from my room, there are 2 walls that it goes through to get here and probably about 30 feet distance between the router and my pc if that helps. it is on a shelf and there are 3 antennas and the middle one is facing up and the 2 others and angled slightly but still up

Okay, that's helpful. Now, the antennas coming out of your Wi-Fi adapter, are they angled up or towards the router? Are they near any other cables coming out of the back of your PC? 

1 minute ago, Septimus said:

Okay, that's helpful. Now, the antennas coming out of your Wi-Fi adapter, are they angled up or towards the router? Are they near any other cables coming out of the back of your PC? 

the antennas are angled up, and yes there are many cables coming out of the back, I can get a picture of it if that would help

i have like 4 USB cables, an adio and mic cable, 2 display cables, and the PSU calble

4 minutes ago, Garrison Marsh said:

the antennas are angled up, and yes there are many cables coming out of the back, I can get a picture of it if that would help

A picture shouldn't be necessary. 

Basically, there is this thing called electromagnetic interference that comes from any cable carrying electrons, so pretty much every cable coming out of the back of your PC emits electromagnetic interferance. The antennas on my TP-Link Wi-Fi adapter were touching an HDMI cable as well as a few other USB cables. Try and tidy things up back there and push them as far away from the adapter as possible, see if there is any improvement. Do the same thing with the router if applicable. 

7 minutes ago, Septimus said:

A picture shouldn't be necessary. 

Basically, there is this thing called electromagnetic interference that comes from any cable carrying electrons, so basically every cables coming out of the back of your PC. The antennas on my TP-Link Wi-Fi adapter were touching an HDMI cable as well as a few other USB cables. Try and tidy things up back there and push them as far away from the adapter as possible, see if there is any improvement. Do the same thing with the router if applicable. 

Very interesting, I never knew that was a thing. I did have some cables touching the antennas. It may also be worth noting that my pc is on the opposite side of my desk than the router is so would the signal be interfered going though my desk because there are a lot of wires there?

And after making those changes i did see an improvement of about 10 on download speed and no noticable improvemnt on upload

Very interesting, I never knew that was a thing. I did have some cables touching the antennas. It may also be worth noting that my pc is on the opposite side of my desk than the router is so would the signal be interfered going though my desk because there are a lot of wires there?

Yes, I suppose that could be a possibility. 

Just now, Septimus said:

Yes, I suppose that could be a possibility. 

So if I were to get a new wifi card, what would you recommend. Unless of course you don't think there would be a big enough improvement to justify the purchase

1 minute ago, Septimus said:

Run any "speed" tests after cleaning things up a bit? And did you ever get the chance to install that Wi-Fi Analyzer app? 

Yes I did do another speed test and the download speed was about 10mbps faster and the upload didn't really change, I forgot about the app Ill download that now

Run any "speed" tests after cleaning things up a bit? And did you ever get the chance to install that Wi-Fi Analyzer app? 

So i got the app, what information should I be looking for to tell you about?

So i got the app, what information should I be looking for to tell you about?

Head over the "Analyze" tab at the top, and look at the chart to determine if there are other overlapping networks in your area. Look at both the 2.4GHz spectrum and the 5GHz spectrum (I doubt there will be any interference on the 5GHz spectrum). The frequency can be changed on the bottom, it will say either 2.4GHz or 5GHz, just click it to switch back and forth.