Any Harry Potter fans?

Snape FTWWWWW

You?

I'm sure there are literally thousands of users who are HP fans. If you'd like to start a thread on this, you should try to have a discussion topic to start it off.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, Mathematech said:

To start a topic, what's your opinion on cursed child?

Absolutely terrible story.

Pretty good Stage Play, if you pretend it's fan-written. But as a "Novel", it's terrible.

So much fan service it hurts.

There are "bits and pieces" of the book that are decent, but over all, I did not enjoy it.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'm a massive fan of the films, I'm just not much of a reader so have never read the books - which seems to disqualify me in the eyes of most potter heads I've come across. 

Just now, AUniqueName said:

I'm a massive fan of the films, I'm just not much of a reader so have never read the books - which seems to disqualify me in the eyes of most potter heads I've come across. 

I mean, you're really missing out. The books often have much more fleshed out sections, they have entire subplots that were dropped from the books, and they make Ginny way more kickass (even though I still like Bonnie Wright and per performance).

If you're not big on reading, I suggest checking out the Audio Books for them - they're apparently extremely well made.

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Pretty good Stage Play, if you pretend it's fan-written. But as a "Novel", it's terrible.

There are "bits and pieces" of the book that are decent, but over all, I did not enjoy it.

Yeah, the fanservice was pretty heavy. Also,

I remembered reading once, before cursed child, that J.K. Rowling confirmed that Albus Potter got into Gryffindor, whereas the "book" ignores that statement.

Just now, Mathematech said:

Yeah, the fanservice was pretty heavy. Also,

I remembered reading once, before cursed child, that J.K. Rowling confirmed that Albus Potter got into Gryffindor, whereas the "book" ignores that statement.

I don't recall ever seeing that - can you dig it up? It would likely have been a Pottermore thing, or a tweet, knowing Rowling.

Frankly, in my opinion that was one of the interesting parts of Cursed Child - I enjoyed the fact that he got into Slytherin and became BFF's with Draco's kid lol.

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I mean, you're really missing out. The books often have much more fleshed out sections, they have entire subplots that were dropped from the books, and they make Ginny way more kickass (even though I still like Bonnie Wright and per performance).

If you're not big on reading, I suggest checking out the Audio Books for them - they're apparently extremely well made.

As an example, Sorcerer/Philosopher's stone move dropped an entire room from the trials to reach the stone.

10 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I don't recall ever seeing that - can you dig it up? It would likely have been a Pottermore thing, or a tweet, knowing Rowling.

Frankly, in my opinion that was one of the interesting parts of Cursed Child - I enjoyed the fact that he got into Slytherin and became BFF's with Draco's kid lol.

It was on an article from MSN a few years ago, I don't know if I can find it. (edit: the tweet was referring to james, not albus, so cursed child al least has that) Also, the arc with Scorpius Malfoy being his friend was interesting. On a related note, Harry kind of shoving Draco aside is another major flaw with the book, considering how merciful he was in the Room of requirement in book 7 and how Narcissa Malfoy arguably saved his life.

3 minutes ago, Mathematech said:

It was on an article from MSN a few years ago, I don't know if I can find it. Also, the arc with Scorpius Malfoy being his friend was interesting. On a related note, Harry kind of shoving Draco aside is another major flaw with the book, considering how merciful he was in the Room of requirement in book 7 and how Narcissa Malfoy arguably saved his life.

Yeah - I mean, Draco and Harry would never be BFF's, but after the Battle of Hogwarts, there was a... grudging respect? between them.

Harry would remember that - and yes, would remember the actions of Draco's mother too. Though Harry is a hot-headed character at times, so in the heat of the moment? Perhaps. But he wouldn't outright dismiss Draco.

I do not read much, but I heard my mom liked the book, she is 70's

I remember back in 4th grade after seeing the Sorcerer's Stone movie, I literally begged my parents to buy the books which they agreed. I even memorized the spells back then as well as the ingredients of a polyjuice potion. 

IMG_5619.GIF.75cdaf2c286e269ab249becc57a2c984.GIFIMG_5620.GIF.fcea3fdb9755ab0947cb86c0c154e32d.GIF

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

My memory is seriously failing me, but if I recall correctly, I had seen either movies 1-5 or 1-6, and then I read Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows....either that or I read just Deathly Hallows; feels super awkward that I can't even remember something so simple. The book(s) was(were) my girlfriend's at the time, and I remember a movie coming out shortly, and just decided to read it as I hadn't done so with the others. 

Having read what I did, and following it up with the movie, I've wanted to get all the books and do it the proper service of gathering that perspective. I've almost never been pleased with book/comic/anime adaptations on the big screen, so I don't necessarily want to taint the movies in my mind, but I think as most can attest, there is plenty of layers missing that the books contain.

On 16/07/2017 at 6:16 AM, Mathematech said:

To start a topic, what's your opinion on cursed child?

I haven't seen the play but the book is ok.. My favourite movie/book is Philosophers stone :D 

Everytime I see Snape in the movies I get so sad :(

On 7/15/2017 at 4:21 PM, AUniqueName said:

Im not much of a reader either and reading those books was a good decision. I highly recommend you read them, much better than the movies in my opinion. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 7/15/2017 at 1:18 PM, dalekphalm said:

you're not wrong, however, to be fair, it wasnt a novel.

it literally the script for the play.

once you separate that fact, it becomes a lot better.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

after moving country we just rebuilt our collection with the original covers as the new ones are seriously ugly, 

Partner and I love HP, she's a hufflepuff and Pottermore put me into gryffindor, but so conflicted as I'm a slytherin at heart. 

On the cursed child I also completely pretend it doesn't exist! 

Also in my world, Hermonie dumps Ron as he's so damn useless and just could never ever see that happening, specially with her going on to become Minister. I still hold out hope for a Malfoy+Hermonie as that would make way more sense. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

3 hours ago, Tsuki said:

you're not wrong, however, to be fair, it wasnt a novel.

it literally the script for the play.

once you separate that fact, it becomes a lot better.

It may have been a script initially, but they marketed it as the 8th Harry Potter novel.

They should have left it as non-Canon, as an authorized fan story. Then it would have been perfectly serviceable.

As I said, I'm sure it works very well as a play, but as a Harry Potter canon story, it's just not very good.

While I don't agree point for point with this guy, he does a great breakdown of the cursed child and where it fails, and how it would have been more interesting and what he would have done to fix it. I definitely recommend giving the video a watch:

3 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

after moving country we just rebuilt our collection with the original covers as the new ones are seriously ugly, 

Partner and I love HP, she's a hufflepuff and Pottermore put me into gryffindor, but so conflicted as I'm a slytherin at heart. 

On the cursed child I also completely pretend it doesn't exist! 

Also in my world, Hermonie dumps Ron as he's so damn useless and just could never ever see that happening, specially with her going on to become Minister. I still hold out hope for a Malfoy+Hermonie as that would make way more sense. 

Rowling had already admitted that Hermione and Ron got together because she wanted them to. She had planned for them to end up together since the very beginning, but as she actually wrote the novels, their characters (as all characters do) took on a life of their own during the writing process, and them ending up together was more forced.

Her ending up with Draco, I don't think would have worked. A Malfoy in general? Sure maybe. But he's spiteful and not particularly intelligent and has no traits that she values.

Hermione should have ended up with someone in Ravenclaw. Someone who could have been her intellectual equal and value the same things she does. Or, end up with a Hufflepuff, where their value of hard work and values would balance out her logic.

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

-snip-

its still not as bad as the 4th Indiana Jones :D

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

10 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

Yeah, it was a pretty bad film. I think they are making a 5th. Still say The Last Crusade was the best. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah, it was a pretty bad film. I think they are making a 5th. Still say The Last Crusade was the best. 

i really hope they dont make another one.  i loved the first 3, but harrison ford is already 75, hes too old for this shit, and shia lebouf should stop acting and just stick to motivation speeches,

|Specs in profile|

8 hours ago, Tsuki said:

Personally I quite enjoyed the Crystal Skull.

Was Shia Lebouf kind of annoying? Sure, but he did an admirable job for the story as written for him.

Were some of the scenes stupid? (The hiding in a fridge scene) Sure, that's pretty much impossible (Yes, it might shield him from the radiation, but he would have died from kenetic impact damage that would have shattered all his bones and turned him into ze goo). But other Indiana Jones movies had stupid unrealistic scenes too, such as jumping out of a plane and gliding to the ground safely using a life raft.

Were there some fantastical elements, regarding the aliens at the end? Sure. But c'mon. The first movie literally had God kill a bunch of Nazi's using lightning, and the second movie literally had a dude that could rip people's hearts out of their chest. Fantastical elements are part of the franchise.

It's not the best movie by far - it's not even a great movie. But it's entertaining. And I liked it better than the Temple of Doom.

8 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Personally, Raiders of the Lost Ark is my favourite. Last Crusade was alright, and Temple of Doom was (in my opinion) terribad.

14 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Personally I quite enjoyed the Crystal Skull.

it was almost as bad as Batman vs. Superman

|Specs in profile|

11 hours ago, Tsuki said:

it was almost as bad as Batman vs. Superman

We'll have to strongly disagree here. BvS was pretty terrible, with a muddled plot that had scenes that made literal no sense.

At least Crystal Skull had a somewhat coherent plot. And Harrison Fold being old is just fun.

Though everything Wonder Woman was just excellent in BvS - which makes sense, as the Wonder Woman movie turned out to be quite a bit of fun.