A cheap card that can beat my R9 280X

Hey guys, i'm looking to buy  a new gpu. Currently i have a 280x from msi and i was wondering if a 1060 would be a nice upgrade over it. i did look up in benchmarks and specs but i did not find an actual comparison.

It would be a good upgrade, a gtx 1050 ti is on par with a r9 290 and a 1060 is a big upgrade over that

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

It would be a good upgrade, a gtx 1050 ti is on par with a r9 290 and a 1060 is a big upgrade over that

Woah, i had no idea that a 1050 could beat a 290, now i'm thinking about selling my desktop and getting a notebook with a 1050 on it

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Er what? 290 is much faster than a 1050 ti.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Er what? 290 is much faster than a 1050 ti.

Isn't a gtx 770 = 290 

If a 1050 ti = 770 then 1050 ti = 290 (not x)

4 minutes ago, Igor Perrotta said:

Woah, i had no idea that a 1050 could beat a 290, now i'm thinking about selling my desktop and getting a notebook with a 1050 on it

1050 TI, not 1050

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

1050 TI, not 1050

I know, still, better performance than my desktop

Just now, Igor Perrotta said:

I know, still, better performance than mine desktop

I may be wrong, wait for the consensus to come in here.

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Isn't a gtx 770 = 290 

If a 1050 ti = 770 then 1050 ti = 290 (not x)

Er no...?

290 is like 780 ti ish performance lol

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Though a 1050 ti will definitely be better than what you have now the cpu Wil take a hit.

Ideally if you're going for a GPU upgrade, you want to stretch it as much as possible when it comes to what you can afford. Having said that, a 1060 is a decent bump, as long as you nab the 6GB one IMO. You'd already be running into issues with the 3GB 1060 in a bunch of current titles at 1080p, so it would be rendered obsolete very soon. Unless you want to be immediately turning down texture detail and the like on a brand new card.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

Just now, DocSwag said:

Er no...?

290 is like 780 ti ish performance lol

Wat.  I had a 290 for a while, traded blows with a 770 but didn't come close to beating by that margin.

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Wat.  I had a 290 for a while, traded blows with a 770 but didn't come close to beating by that margin.

Just to add some reference to the debate.

This is just one page of results of course, but it's a popular title which will show approximate scaling.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R9_390_Nitro/13.html

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

Just now, Damascus said:

Wait really?

Back in the day when the 290/x launched they both beat the GTX 780 and the 290x even beat out the Titan by a slight margin, while severely undercutting in price. The GTX 770 (which is just an OCed 680 really) was more comparable to the 280/x (don't remember which it was closer to, probably 280x). The 780 ti reclaimed the throne for Nvidia I believe but over time driver updates have probably made the 290 quite close to the 780 ti.

770 is in a completely different class than the 290 :P. In performance the 290 is probably similar to a 570.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, LooneyJuice said:

Ideally if you're going for a GPU upgrade, you want to stretch it as much as possible when it comes to what you can afford. Having said that, a 1060 is a decent bump, as long as you nab the 6GB one IMO. You'd already be running into issues with the 3GB 1060 in current titles at 1080p, so it would be rendered obsolete very soon. Unless you want to be immediately turning down texture detail and the like on a brand new card.

I would go for the 6gb version, my 280x is 3gb and just like you said it is suffering with 1080p.

The good part is that the 6gb version is on sale and is  just r$ 200 more then 3gb version 

1 minute ago, LooneyJuice said:

JESUS WTF. Glad I didn't buy the damn thing, probably a lower level card disguised as one.  The one time I've ever tested a gpu before buying seems to have saved my bacon...

4 minutes ago, Igor Perrotta said:

I would go for the 6gb version, my 280x is 3gb and just like you said it is suffering with 1080p.

The good part is that the 6gb version is on sale and is  just r$ 200 more then 3gb version 

If it makes sense to you, I'd say go for it. If you can even think about it, maybe even look at a 1070, but if a 1060 6GB is what you can afford, then by all means.

The only reason I'm mentioning the 1070 is for obsolescence. Generally speaking if you get to splurge every 3-4 years, you go for the highest you can go and forget about it for the next few years again. Generally ends up costing the same, or sometimes even less over time than going through multiple lower-end GPUs. It all depends on local pricing of course and what makes sense to you.

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

JESUS WTF. Glad I didn't buy the damn thing, probably a lower level card disguised as one.  The one time I've ever tested a gpu before buying seems to have saved my bacon...

Sorry, which one are you talking about?

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

3 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

Sorry, which one are you talking about?

R9 290

Just now, Damascus said:

R9 290

Oh I get it, you meant the specific sample you tested, yes?

In that case, yes, it definitely saved your bacon, because a 390 is merely an overclocked 290, and admittedly wasn't a terrible buy regardless of the rebrand/refresh "outrage".

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

A 1050ti is on par/a little faster than a 280. My brother just replaced his dead 280 with a 1050ti and noticed basically no difference.

Youd need at least a 1060 6gb to beat a 280x to a meaningful extent, and I dont know how people could think a 1050ti could come close to a 290

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

a used gtx 970

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

A 290 has always been better than a 770... a 770 is an overclocked 680. 

290/290x was around 970/980 region.

15 hours ago, Damascus said:

Far from it. 1050ti is on par with the 280x. The 290 and 290x beat the 780ti now and are fairly close to the 480 and 1060. 

1060 or 480 would still be a nice upgrade over the 280x though

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case