More math help

AniJan

I can't understand these simple math questions. Its because of the grammar. Grammar is the only weakness that's holding me back from understanding.

Anyway, I can't understand what it's trying to tell me on both problems.

Here's my thought process on the problems:

18)"the larger exceeds 7 times the smaller by 4 degrees. Wait what the he'll does that mean? Its 7 times bigger than the smaller by 4 degrees..? Does x equal 4? I dont get it"

19) "one of the two complementary angles added to one half the other yields 72 degrees.. So x + 1/2y=72 degrees? Wait wtf? That doesnt make sense.." (answer is 27)

15000592534711687962823.jpg

18. You start by defining the terms. What is a supplementary angle? So it's 2 angles that add up to 180. Then translate it in math. So X + Y = 180. Then larger of 2 means X > Y (or Y > X, however you want to define the larger one). 7 times by the smaller is X = 7Y, and lastly by 4 means +4 so X = 7Y+4. Then combine the 2 equations. 7Y+4+Y=180. Y=22. 180-22= 158. So X is 158.

1 hour ago, bomerr said:

18. You start by defining the terms. What is a supplementary angle? So it's 2 angles that add up to 180. Then translate it in math. So X + Y = 180. Then larger of 2 means X > Y (or Y > X, however you want to define the larger one). 7 times by the smaller is X = 7Y, and lastly by 4 means +4 so X = 7Y+4. Then combine the 2 equations. 7Y+4+Y=180. Y=22. 180-22= 158. So X is 158.

By 4 means plus 4? Oh..

Thank you so much.

4 hours ago, AniJan said:

By 4 means plus 4? Oh..

Thank you so much.

Where are you from? Just curious

6 hours ago, AniJan said:

By 4 means plus 4? Oh..

Thank you so much.

not as such, but in the context "the larger of two supplementary angles exceeds 7 times the smaller by 4 degrees." which is saying X is bigger than 7 times Y by four degrees. or X= 7Y + 4.

If they had left out the 'degrees' after the four then you could say that X is bigger than 7 times Y four times, or X=4 * 7Y. It's a nuance of how the sentence is written.

These are my comments on question 19: Complementary angles mean that the sum of two angles is 90 degrees, yes? So, x + y = 90. Then, if x + 1/2y = 72, you can then determine the value of y, either by elimination, or just by thinking about it. And, from there, you can determine the angle of x and then divide it by two. If you need more help, you can ask, but I want you to do some of the work and get the processes needed to solve such things in your head, which will hopefully help you in the future.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

I'm late, but I'll go ahead and reword them.

18: Given a pair of supplementary angles, the larger angle is 4° greater than 7 times the smaller angle. Find the larger angle.

19: Given a pair of complementary angles, the sum of the first angle and half of the second angle is 72°. Find the larger angle and divide it by two. (Why divide it by two, I haven't the foggiest.)

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.