What Happened To Laser Mice?

Go to solution Solved by woll3,
1 hour ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

So optical did indeed surpasses the laser ones?

First things first, both are optical, and image correlation sensors, the difference is just simply the illumination source, the PTE is an exception to that though as it uses two VCSEL's(one for x, one for y) and the "doppler shift" to determine travelled distance.

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

AFAIK laser sensors have a lot of acceleration, this is why optical sensors are usually better. Laser sensors usually have higher DPI, but they aren't as precise. It comes down to personal preference TBH

I just quote myself:

On 9.7.2017 at 11:05 AM, woll3 said:

It might seem kinda pedantic but it bugs me, it doesnt have "acceleration built in" its CPI are fluctuating and in most cases leaning overall more towards an increase with speed, it simply is dubbed as resolution accuracy(or error if you go "from the other side"), which obv. isnt perfect on any product(which includes LED illuminated sensors[optical]), just to varying degrees. It also is only partially caused by the laser illumination, its just simply harder to achieve a good resolution accuracy with it while keeping the pricepoint in check.

Which would be the case with the A9500, A9800 and all of its offsprings, A6010 and A6090 on the other hand have lower resolution errors, though they have other problems.

Edit: Oh, and ofc the surface also plays a part in that regard.

So I haven't bought a mouse in years, over 5 years I've been using the same mouse that I bought. It's some Gigabyte extreme laser mouse.

It's really worn out and I want to replace it, but to my surprise I can't find laser mice anymore. I mean I can, but they're very rare.

What happened? Years ago laser mice were the best, the most accurate, the highest dpi, dpi changing on the fly, etc.

Now I can only find optical mice which back in the day where decent at best, most were barely any better than the ball mice.

Did the optical technology caught up to the laser one and even surpassed it or lasers are just to expensive so everyone just went back to optical because it's cheaper to produce?

Lets just say... some desktops weren't happy with all dat lazerz burning the surfaces... overclockingz teh Lazerz Mouze lolz =) 

And to be honest, I think the new optical sensors have just gotten so much better, that there is not a real difference anymore but the price... 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

Optical is the best option for a sensor now as far as I know. Laser has died off 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Optical is the best option for a sensor now as far as I know. Laser has died off 

44 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

As far as I know, yes. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

49 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

AFAIK laser sensors have a lot of acceleration, this is why optical sensors are usually better. Laser sensors usually have higher DPI, but they aren't as precise. It comes down to personal preference TBH

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 hour ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

First things first, both are optical, and image correlation sensors, the difference is just simply the illumination source, the PTE is an exception to that though as it uses two VCSEL's(one for x, one for y) and the "doppler shift" to determine travelled distance.

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I just quote myself:

On 9.7.2017 at 11:05 AM, woll3 said:

It might seem kinda pedantic but it bugs me, it doesnt have "acceleration built in" its CPI are fluctuating and in most cases leaning overall more towards an increase with speed, it simply is dubbed as resolution accuracy(or error if you go "from the other side"), which obv. isnt perfect on any product(which includes LED illuminated sensors[optical]), just to varying degrees. It also is only partially caused by the laser illumination, its just simply harder to achieve a good resolution accuracy with it while keeping the pricepoint in check.

Which would be the case with the A9500, A9800 and all of its offsprings, A6010 and A6090 on the other hand have lower resolution errors, though they have other problems.

Edit: Oh, and ofc the surface also plays a part in that regard.