I'm lost looking for budget PSU

maxicosi
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,
6 hours ago, TheNamesDoge said:

I have never used a corsair psu

That's fine, you've probably used PSUs made by the OEMs that make Corsair PSUs.

The aforementioned CX series (or CXM series) would suit your system well.

So I want to upgrade my case to a Masterbox lite 5 (from a cheap Sharkoon case), and I think I'll upgrade my psu as well, to get rid of the ugly red and yellow cables. My specs are as follows:

Spoiler

Intel Pentium G4560 psu

MSI RX 470 gaming x 4g gpu

Crucial Ballistix sport lt 1x8gb ram

Asus Prime b250m-k mobo

Western Digital W10EZEX 1tb hdd

Crucial mx100 128gb ssd

Corsair vs450 psu

I'm kinda lost when searching for a new PSU, because one is said to make a weird noise, the other has lower than recommended wattage and another one has no bronze certification. I've looked at the PSU tier list too but it's still not clear to me. Any recommendations? My budget is around €50 (with a margin of around €10).

Thanks in advance :)

1 minute ago, maxicosi said:

So I want to upgrade my case to a Masterbox lite 5 (from a cheap Sharkoon case), and I think I'll upgrade my psu as well, to get rid of the ugly red and yellow cables. My specs are as follows:

Reveal hidden contents

Intel Pentium G4560 psu

MSI RX 470 gaming x 4g gpu

Crucial Ballistix sport lt 1x8gb ram

Asus Prime b250m-k mobo

Western Digital W10EZEX 1tb hdd

Crucial mx100 128gb ssd

Corsair vs450 psu

I'm kinda lost when searching for a new PSU, because one is said to make a weird noise, the other has lower than recommended wattage and another one has no bronze certification. I've looked at the PSU tier list too but it's still not clear to me. Any recommendations? My budget is around €50 (with a margin of around €10).

Thanks in advance :)

EVGA PSU Are Good If You Don't Want An EVGA one then get a ThermalTake psu

Corsair CXM-Series maybe?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

PSU's can kill all your other components so it's important that they are good. Corsairs CX series is as cheap as I would go. they have all black cables, bronze certification and are available as modular and non modular

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

Just now, GER_T4IGA said:

I would only buy from tiers 1-3 

Remember, if you spend a bit more now, you can keep the PSU for many years and you'll be better off in the long term.

I edit my posts a lot.

I've always used an EVGA PSU, just go with them whether bronze or gold. They have pretty good quality.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

13 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Heard that they make a lot of noise, but have no experience with them.

10 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

What country? If you're in/around Germany, I would suggest an XFX Core Edition 450W.

Netherlands actually. I'll look into it.

what country are you in and what sites can we purchase from? 

16 minutes ago, TheNamesDoge said:

EVGA PSU Are Good If You Don't Want An EVGA one then get a ThermalTake psu

Most of EVGA's low end units, such as B (not b2/b3) and W series are shit. 

Same as thermaltake, but all of their low end units are total garbage. 

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

what country are you in and what sites can we purchase from? 

Most of EVGA's low end units, such as B (not b2/b3) and W series are shit. 

Same as thermaltake, but all of their low end units are total garbage. 

Have u ever tried thermaltake

As @MrDrWho13 said, Tiers 1-3 are a safe bet. And most Tier 3's are very reasonably priced.

Looking back at that PSU list...I've just realised I'm still using my old Cooler Master Elite 700W which came with my Storm Scout case from nearly 7 years ago...:|

59689c9d11034_tier7.png.d258c6309eedcf3709e634c9bf02dcc1.png

Never had any issues with it, and it's still going strong!!! (Touch wood! xD)

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

7 minutes ago, maxicosi said:

Netherlands actually. I'll look into it.

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/422238/seasonic-eco-series-430w.html

Black cables. This would be the lowest I'd go. 

Or this: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/745437/corsair-cx450.html

5 minutes ago, TheNamesDoge said:

Have u ever tried thermaltake

I don't need to try it to know how good it is. 

There are PSU reviews for a good reason. 

idk

Nothing wrong with bronze certification. On a budget around $50 you should expect to be getting a bronze certified PSU.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3OAFHD/?tag=pcpapi-20

Something like this is what you're looking for - EVGA is a very reputable brand for PSUs and having owned one myself I can personally recommend them.

The cx450 and cx450m are around the same price. Now I can't find many reviews on the non-modular one but I heard the 450m is quite noisy. Can anyone confirm?

2 hours ago, maxicosi said:

The cx450 and cx450m are around the same price. Now I can't find many reviews on the non-modular one but I heard the 450m is quite noisy. Can anyone confirm?

The Corsair CX450M has a sleeve-bearing fan (and I believe that's the same case with the CX450) so it's naturally not the quietest unit in the world but it's not the loudest thing either. Anyway, both are good units but if they're both the same price, I'd just get the Corsair CX450M since it's semi-modular.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

6 hours ago, TheNamesDoge said:

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

The Corsair CX450M has a sleeve-bearing fan (and I believe that's the same case with the CX450) so it's naturally not the quietest unit in the world but it's not the loudest thing either. Anyway, both are good units but if they're both the same price, I'd just get the Corsair CX450M since it's semi-modular.

The CX450M has a rifle bearing actually. The fan used has the same model number of another fan that's a sleeve bearing, but Corsair and Jonnyguru's words both confirm it's a rifle bearing.

8 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

The CX450M has a rifle bearing actually.

Is it a rifle bearing fan? Tom's/Aris is saying that it's a sleeve bearing fan.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

6 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

Hmm I thought it was but now I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure I recall Jonnyguru saying it. Also this thing here http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13511 says "new ones should have a rifle bearing."

"It's a sleeve bearing on the regular CX-M. Vengeance has rifle bearing fan, Jap caps and multiple +12V rails. These are the upgrades that make a CX-M a Vengeance. 

I never said (I don't think) any of the CX-M had a rifle bearing fan."

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13770&page=2

Confusing :S

Spoiler

1 hour ago, HKZeroFive said:

"It's a sleeve bearing on the regular CX-M. Vengeance has rifle bearing fan, Jap caps and multiple +12V rails. These are the upgrades that make a CX-M a Vengeance. 

I never said (I don't think) any of the CX-M had a rifle bearing fan."

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13770&page=2

Confusing :S

Oh well according to that Jonny said it was rifle once but was mistaken so that's what got me confused. Guess it is indeed sleeve!

9 hours ago, Hiitchy said:

I've always used an EVGA PSU, just go with them whether bronze or gold. They have pretty good quality.

EVGA just badges the PSU, it's components are assembled by other companies. The B and B2s are decent (I don't about the BQ series though), the G series are excellent, but the ones that are called "430 watt" or something along those lines just skimp by with an ok mark in my opinion. I would not suggest getting one of those for long term use fi you plan on using your computer a fair amount.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

3 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Wow it's the legend himself! ;)

Thanks for the help!