Vega FE Hybrid Mod - Passing the 1080 but 400W+ Power Draw

Hunter259
5 minutes ago, Humbug said:

to get great yields and not have to throw away the few crappy dies which will not do 1600Mhz @ 1.075v

In short they do not want to waste money.

but yes it makes the majority good quality dies suck more power than they actually need.

Considering the price of the FE cards, one would expect them to be binned exceptionally well.

Hopefully with the Vega XTX and XT they'll have better binning; although I suspect Apple will be getting the very best binned chips again.

A year before the 560 was out, Apple got fully unlocked, and exceptionally binned Radeon Pro 460s that had nearly 50% lower TDP for full unlocked shaders.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

5 hours ago, bomerr said:

When we compare Vega to the Pascal, Vega uses more watts, has a larger die size and gives less FPS. That's complete fail. This card is targeted to fanboys that want AMD branding. To truly compete with Nvidia, AMD needs to completely redevelop their architecture.

Yes Gamers Nexus showed that when you compare clock for clock Vega FE is as slow as Fury X in gaming. While being a lot faster in pro apps.

So either the gaming drivers are not ready yet, or the Vega architecture just sucks for gaming meaning the architectural improvements have no impact on this kind of workload.

7 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Because there is tiled based rasterizer  in the silicon they can probably reduce the power with a dance in the drivers/firmware

Said rasterizer isn't enabled yet either, and it's still running modified Fiji drivers. Once they get those two things sorted out, I'd expect performance to go up and power draw to go down.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

11 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

2 of these in CF would give me AX1200i a reason to exist. 

It already has one, 980ti + LN2. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

It already has one, 980ti + LN2. 

Furys on ln2 are worse

14 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Said rasterizer isn't enabled yet either, and it's still running modified Fiji drivers. Once they get those two things sorted out, I'd expect performance to go up and power draw to go down.

Enabled all the *goodies*, bin the darn chips correctly, and fix the driver; then Vega might be one hell of a card.

It's disheartening to know AMD's Frontier Editions at stock run 1440Mhz at 1.2V, using 300W.

When people are already managing to run the same cards at 1.075V, 1600Mhz and using roughly the same power as the *Stock* card; well before some major features and drivers are sorted.

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

Enabled all the *goodies*, bin the darn chips correctly, and fix the driver; then Vega might be one hell of a card.

It's disheartening to know AMD's Frontier Editions at stock run 1440Mhz at 1.2V, using 300W.

When people are already managing to run the same cards at 1.075V, 1600Mhz and using roughly the same power as the *Stock* card; well before some major features and drivers are sorted.

Ah well. Hopefully, we'll see decent drivers coming out on launch day, followed by a news post on the performance increase.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Everyone who has reviewed this has had to buy it, Linus has said his in in the mail. expect a review soon. 

Good to know that they're gonna review it.

5 hours ago, bomerr said:

Can't tell if you are being serious. Performance is measured as FPS per Watt. It's bad to increase FPS if It means increasing watts because that is easily achieved by adding extra transistors to the die. The problem is this makes the die larger which means it's more expensive to manufacture. 

When we compare Vega to the Pascal, Vega uses more watts, has a larger die size and gives less FPS. That's complete fail. This card is targeted to fanboys that want AMD branding. To truly compete with Nvidia, AMD needs to completely redevelop their architecture.

Maxwell put AMD's GPUs in the same position Sandy Bridge put their CPUs. They are in a very bad position right now. 

No FX put AMD in the sitter, not sandy. It was their own fuck up. Vega can still bring a good product, performance is how much FPS you crank out, not fps/watt. If your product costs less and preforms better, even with massively more power draw you still have a good product. 

5 hours ago, mariushm said:

My guess is that the RX Vega gaming cards will have a cheaper VRM, maybe with maximum 8 phases.

We will definitely see 12+ phase VRMs if it's a 350+ watt card, under LN2 it's going to probably be crazy power hungry. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

AMD always have shitty launch drivers. I don't understand how people expect anything else from them tbh. There is always a major preference boost after a bit and the card becomes great

Builds:

Spoiler

Well the first AIO Vega FE cards have started showing up. Now to see how well they hold their boost clocks, and what overclocking is like with the "reference" cooling.

The chap already managed to get the HBM2 running at 1100Mhz, and says he found something interesting that hasn't been discussed yet.

I love how "just wait for future updates" is the default answer whenever an AMD product doesn't perform as well as expected.

Vega uses a ton of power and doesn't perform that well? Just wait for a driver update and it will totally be fine. Trust me, because nobody can disprove me. 

Ryzen doesn't perform well in certain applications, and has a ton of issues? Just wait for future updates. 

Keeping the stereotype of amd causing global warming alive. Lol

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

37 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

AMD always have shitty launch drivers. I don't understand how people expect anything else from them tbh. There is always a major preference boost after a bit and the card becomes great

Yeah but why bother with a card that underperforms then when drivers become good Nvidia releases their new cards and their xx70 turns it into a potato and and have to play catch up again

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

2 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Keeping the stereotype of amd causing global warming alive. Lol

Who need to pay for gas of fuel in winter; just get an overclocked 7980XE and Quad overclocked Frontier Editions :D

Just now, MadyTehWolfie said:

Yeah but why bother with a card that underperforms then when drivers become good Nvidia releases their new cards and their xx70 turns it into a potato and and have to play catch up again

The Fury preforms close to the 1070, how is that potato? 

Builds:

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I love how "just wait for future updates" is the default answer whenever an AMD product doesn't perform as well as expected.

Vega uses a ton of power and doesn't perform that well? Just wait for a driver update and it will totally be fine. Trust me, because nobody can disprove me. 

Ryzen doesn't perform well in certain applications, and has a ton of issues? Just wait for future updates. 

Has AMD launched anything with acceptable launch drivers in the last 10 years? Not as far as I know. Yes it's not good now but we KNOW there are shit drivers on it so it will probably get better. Ryzen had known RAM issues at launch, the Fury preformed like shit at launch and so on... That response is just because we know AMD dosent launch with good drivers. That dosent make it worth it to buy the product now though. 

Builds:

Spoiler

I can't get behind this. EVEN IF RX Vega performs on par with the 1080ti - it will consume twice as much power (maybe more). 

The future is power efficient, quiet, small, etc. Not big, loud and hot. While they may be fine for gaming rigs, you won't be able to cram these into laptops, etc.

This is Fury 2.0 and we needed more than that. 

1 hour ago, Valentyn said:

The AMD & Voltage thing is still a weird topic. I've yet to hear of someone that hasn't been able to undervolt Polaris at least a fairly good chunk. Obviously, some will undervolt better (I've heard of 40% down while still getting a 15% OC, which is nuts). 

Though it's not like the Vega is lining up to be that much thirstier of a card than the comparable Nvidia products. Probably around 20-30% more power draw at the same Gaming performance.  Which is about right with current Polaris offerings. If you stuff a massive OC on a 1080 Ti, you'll get some nutty numbers as well. Give Nvidia credit for the brilliant uArch they have.

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Has AMD launched anything with acceptable launch drivers in the last 10 years?

most of their recent GPU launches did have acceptable launch drivers. Hawai, Fiji, Polaris...

They just got faster later.

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Because it'll likely be the x60 when Volta lands, if not an x50Ti or x50.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Re-read my post and you'll realize what I said. Not going to explain it for you when I made it perfectly clear what I was saying.

15 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Re-read my post and you'll realize what I said. Not going to explain it for you when I made it perfectly clear what I was saying.

yah i have a few times, i dont understand what you are getting at. the 1070 didnt turn the R9 Fury into a potato so what are you baseing this off because this hasnt happaned yet AFAIK.  drivers for the Fury have been good for quite a while now, since way before we knew about 10 series even. you cant just claim that the 1170 will blow away Vega just like that either when we have litteraly 0 info on it either so i really dont understand what your point is.

maybe refrase it for me because im really not getting your point here. is it that AMD will never be preformance king?

Builds:

Spoiler