Vega FE Hybrid Mod - Passing the 1080 but 400W+ Power Draw

Hunter259
Just now, mr moose said:

I subscribe to your rule.  e.g no point in spending money on 32G of ram if by the time you actually need that much you discover you have to upgrade the CPU/mobo, thus making that 32G non transferable  and needing to be replaced anyway.   It's like taking future proofing ( a term I hate) too far.   If this ramble actually makes sense.

I agree, except I always believe in ram capacity being useful, because I use all my extra ram as a block level cache, lol. Got 32GB of it, barely use 10GB for my day to day gaming, so I created a 20GB block level cache to defer writing to my SSD's (prolonging their lifespan) and helping applications that are storage dependent, load faster. That, and I figured I would invest in 32GB since I use an ITX motherboard. Would rather have 32GB and not need it, over 16GB that I can't upgrade without completely invalidating the older kit. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

8 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Having more than what you need is pointless for "the now". It may stave off needing to upgrade in the future, but eventually, that day will still come.

And we all know that buying slightly lower end parts and upgrading more often is actually more beneficial and gives you a higher performance average over time, but we generally ignore that because sometimes it's just nice to have nice things even if we don't need it.

A PC brought to last 6 years will be far worse off than a cheaper one upgraded one or two times during that time span.

Of course there are the people that upgrade to the best of the best as soon as it comes out every time, some of us can only dream or can't overcome that feeling of wasted money.

Just now, leadeater said:

And we all know that buying slightly lower end parts and upgrading more often is actually more beneficial and gives you a higher performance average over time, but we generally ignore that because sometimes it's just nice to have nice things even if we don't need it.

A PC brought to last 6 years will be far worse off than a cheaper one upgraded one or two times during that time span.

Of course there are the people that upgrade to the best of the best as soon as it comes out every time, some of us can only dream or can't overcome that feeling of wasted money.

I also simplify that process. I put back a set amount of money, that i refer to as "toy funds", and when I reach a point in which I feel like I need new hardware, I use those funds to buy the best that I can afford, not the best on the market, or "the parts I want". What I want can often be out of reach. I subscribe to the mentality that anything can be made to run faster if you try hard enough, it's why I got into memory overclocking in the first place :P 

8 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Pretty much me... z170 board with a locked i5 lol CPU will probably be upgraded to a 6700k by year end if my gf gets her funds sorted for her first gaming rig (still not decided on what gpu I wanna give her)

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

7 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Pretty much me... z170 board with a locked i5 lol CPU will probably be upgraded to a 6700k by year end if my gf gets her funds sorted for her first gaming rig (still not decided on what gpu I wanna give her)

Then there is me, who ends up upgrading the entire family to the point in which I end up with too much hardware. Got a 6700k and like 2 Skylake i5's sitting on my desk doing absolutely nothing, lol. Then there is the "MageTank wall of ram", since I kinda needed Micron and SK Hynix ram to conduct random tests. Should go to Microcenter and buy some of those cheap H110 motherboards for $25 a piece. At the very least, these CPU's would have somewhere to sit. 

Just now, MageTank said:

Then there is me, who ends up upgrading the entire family to the point in which I end up with too much hardware. Got a 6700k and like 2 Skylake i5's sitting on my desk doing absolutely nothing, lol. Then there is the "MageTank wall of ram", since I kinda needed Micron and SK Hynix ram to conduct random tests. Should go to Microcenter and buy some of those cheap H110 motherboards for $25 a piece. At the very least, these CPU's would have somewhere to sit. 

I'll gladly take that 6700k off your hands and make use of it :ph34r:

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, XenosTech said:

I'll gladly take that 6700k off your hands and make use of it :ph34r:

What a noble suggestion my good sir, but I couldn't possibly burden you with my responsibility. 

Just now, MageTank said:

What a noble suggestion my good sir, but I couldn't possibly burden you with my responsibility. 

lol the only burden would be me asking you how to over clock the dang thing as stable as possible :P

Just now, XenosTech said:

lol the only burden would be me asking you how to over clock the dang thing as stable as possible :P

I know it can do 4.7ghz, I just can't remember the volts needed to do that. If it helps any, i know for a fact it was under 1.4, lol. It's IMC is also quite decent, as it was the one that allowed my ram to run at 3600 C14-14-14-28-2. The funny thing is, I kept that thing at stock clocks for over a year. It wasn't until last month when I got this ATX tower and 280mm CLC that I actually started to OC it. 

Poor 6700k never really got to stretch it's legs before I did away with it. I blame done12many though. He put a 7700k in my hands that has a golden IMC. He is also the reason why I am seriously considering buying a motherboard I don't even need (Z270 Apex) just to run 4000 C15 as my everyday 24/7 memory overclock, lol. 

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I know it can do 4.7ghz, I just can't remember the volts needed to do that. If it helps any, i know for a fact it was under 1.4, lol. It's IMC is also quite decent, as it was the one that allowed my ram to run at 3600 C14-14-14-28-2. The funny thing is, I kept that thing at stock clocks for over a year. It wasn't until last month when I got this ATX tower and 280mm CLC that I actually started to OC it. 

Poor 6700k never really got to stretch it's legs before I did away with it. I blame done12many though. He put a 7700k in my hands that has a golden IMC. He is also the reason why I am seriously considering buying a motherboard I don't even need (Z270 Apex) just to run 4000 C15 as my everyday 24/7 memory overclock, lol. 

That 6700k my be wishing you step on a lego every day since you casted it to the way side lol (check your pms)

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

I've often said that enthusiasts get too picky when it comes to performance that is so close.  I've said that for 5 fps no one would be able to tell whether the GPU was an AMD or Nvidia job and for CPU's I Imagine the difference is even less noticeable.   I think we just get hung up on numbers too much and we sometimes just get to pedantic about what is "needed"  

We also get hung up on "ideal playing situation" numbers. TechDeals (on YouTube) mentions he plays on his Ryzen system most of the time because it's generally smoother than the 7700k. Once you add background tasks on a non-clean install, little things crop up. Those extra cores suddenly become handy as they should prevent non-gaming load from entering the picture. 

All of the top-tier CPUs are really good for gaming. If you have a very specific Use Case, there are reasons for the all-out Single Core performance choices.  Otherwise, more cores & threads is just better for general use.  (Until we hit some rough thread limit for normal-use, which we'll find out with up to 18c desktop CPUs available by Christmas.)

21 hours ago, Jito463 said:

tenor.gif

Ehm... Look at my posts again.

The first quote of me saying:

"Our gaming branded card will perform better in games than this card does"

was me quoting you, not AMD. Here is how the conversation went:

You: AMD have said that Vega isn't their gaming card.

Me: Yes, but just because it isn't a gaming card doesn't mean it performs worse than a gaming card for gaming.

I was not quoting AMD. I was quoting AMD in the "this isn't our gaming card" quote, and then I made up a quote for how people interpreter the first quote. Again, read my post carefully.

On 2017-07-17 at 2:26 AM, LAwLz said:

"This isn't out gaming card" 

And

Are two completely different statements. 

AMD said the first quote and I am saying people are interpreting it as the second quote even though they are not the same thing at all.

Hopefully that clears things up.

52 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

AMD said the first quote and I am saying people are interpreting it as the second quote even though they are not the same thing at all.

Except AMD has said the second one. The quote @Jito463 supplied was from a Reddit AMA carried out by AMD RTG and Raja Koduri's Reddit account is 'gfxchiptweeter'.

WCbGAF.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6bklro/we_are_radeon_technologies_group_at_amd_and_were/

You don't have to believe it but that was actually what has been said, how much credence you take from a Reddit AMA and if you consider that an offical statement by AMD RTG is also up to you, just remember that is Raja saying it.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Except AMD has said the second one. The quote @Jito463 supplied was from a Reddit AMA carried out by AMD RTG and Raja Koduri's Reddit account is 'gfxchiptweeter'.

WCbGAF.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6bklro/we_are_radeon_technologies_group_at_amd_and_were/

You don't have to believe it but that was actually what as been said, how much credence you take form a Reddit AMA and if you consider that an offical statement by AMD RTG is also up to you just remember that is Raja saying it.

Yeah, but I'd never take the word of someone with something to sell as being gospel.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

WCbGAF.jpg

You don't have to believe it but that was actually what as been said, how much credence you take form a Reddit AMA and if you consider that an offical statement by AMD RTG is also up to you just remember that is Raja saying it.

I see. I was not aware of that.

@Jito463 do you understand things from my perspective now?

This is what you said:

On 2017-07-17 at 2:18 AM, Jito463 said:

AMD themselves have stated that Vega isn't their gaming card.

and my response was essentially:

"Just because it isn't a gaming card doesn't mean it performs worse than the gaming version for gaming".

That's why I said:

On 2017-07-17 at 2:26 AM, LAwLz said:

"This isn't out gaming card" 

And

Are two completely different statements. 

I completely agree and trust AMD when they say FE is not their gaming card. What I don't agree with is that their gaming branded card is guaranteed to perform better in games. 

I was assuming that people were making that "gaming card will perform better in games!" part up just from AMD saying "this isn't our gaming card". I did not know that AMD themselves had made the claim that it will perform better.

I am extremely skeptical over that claim by the way. The reason why I am skeptical is because there is no evidence, historical or current, to support that claim.

Edit:

The fact that it comes from AMD is quote disturbing if you ask me. I assume that it was AMD fanboys parroting each other to to build hype. The fact that they are just parroting a PR statement and treating it like gospel really says something about their blind trust for a company that just want their money.

26 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Yeah, but I'd never take the word of someone with something to sell as being gospel.   

True, just useful to know where the sources of some of the hype is coming from, the community or the company. Personally I really dislike the use of Reddit like that to communicate to the public about upcoming products and information around it. Maybe it's just me but I feel like potentially less care is taken in how they might word responses versus say an official press release sent out to technology publications.

Just has an air of unprofessionalism to it.

Edit:

Also I just really dislike Reddit in general so that does sway my opinion on it a lot.

True, just useful to know where the sources of some of the hype is coming from, the community or the company. Personally I really dislike the use of Reddit like that to communicate to the public about upcoming products and information around it. Maybe it's just me but I feel like potentially less care is taken in how they might word responses versus say an official press release sent out to technology publications.

Just as a air of unprofessionalism to it.

To me it's just selling to the younger generations who don't know how to get their information any other way.  Call me ageist if you want.  But it's true.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

To me it's just selling to the younger generations who don't know how to get their information any other way.  Call me ageist if you want.  But it's true.

I'd say maybe I'm out of touch but I know I am, I avoid almost every form of social media platform. I also have a much stronger appreciation for written articles over videos, which is weird since I don't like reading books at all and listen to audio books or just watch the movie if there is one instead.

I'd say maybe I'm out of touch but I know I am, I avoid almost every form of social media platform. I also have a much stronger appreciation for written articles over videos, which is weird since I don't like reading books at all and listen to audio books or just watch the movie if there is one instead.

from a time when companies actually put the effort into a press release rather than a shiny video pretending to be a review/public service with a million catch phrases. .

Has someone posted this?

undervolting helps power without hurting clocks

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I was assuming that people were making that "gaming card will perform better in games!" part up just from AMD saying "this isn't our gaming card". I did not know that AMD themselves had made the claim that it will perform better.

I am extremely skeptical over that claim by the way. The reason why I am skeptical is because there is no evidence, historical or current, to support that claim.

The fact that you worded it so closely to the actual quote is what confused me.  That's why I assumed you were actually quoting what Raja said.

You can be as skeptical as you like, I'm simply saying that I'll wait for RX Vega to decide for certain.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Edit:

Also I just really dislike Reddit in general so that does sway my opinion on it a lot.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

This is pretty much me in a nutshell.  I abhor pretty much all forms of social media, always have.  Forums like this are the closest thing to "social media" that I will ever come.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

I prefer written articles as well, since I can easily skip to the parts I'm interested in (though in my case, I do like reading books).  Videos require you to sit and listen through the drivel, to get to the parts you need.  It's the same reason I'd much rather get a text on my phone than receive a call.  I'm a very impatient person, LOL.

5 minutes ago, hobobobo said:
quite sad

Any more information on what the event was etc? The link doesn't provide much detail.

Just what they guys said, 1080 setup(pr guys words) with gsync vs rx vega with freesync bf1, no fps counters or anything of the sorts. the guy says they feel similar, neither system dips. pr guy using "$300 less cuz freesync" quite alot.

edit:

10 hours ago, leadeater said:

Honestly that really is only true mattering on what you got. If someone bought a 2600k back in 2011 then they would still be find today. You can even go back to the i7 860 and you would still be GPU limited at higher resolutions (I had only 4-5fps increases in minimums going from a 4.1GHz x3470 to my 4.5Ghz 2600k). Unless you really need 100+ FPS capability in every game then even Intel CPU's from 7 years ago can do that.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.