Server software

Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

i wanna start this off by saying that if you have to ask that, you should probably consider prebuilt NAS options.

as for actually answering your question.. by "software" i guess you mean operating system? you dont really want to just slap software on top of a regular windows install to fullfill your nas needs.

a few options you could consider:

- before mentioned regular old windows install, toss in two extra drives as storage, share one with SMB, and use windows backup to make nightly backups to the other

- same as before, but with linux. advantage: its free, disadvantage: you need to know your way around linux.

- freenas

- any other nas-specific OSes

- windows server, bunch of drives, software raid, and potentially some backup solution as well.

what software should i use for a server that is being used as a nas?

CPU: i9-9900k
Motherboard: MSI Carbon Pro AC
Memory: GSkill Trident Z Royal Silver 32gb
Storage: SanDisk - Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital - Blue 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Hard Drive
Video Card: ASUS Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB
Case: Corsair - Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case 

i wanna start this off by saying that if you have to ask that, you should probably consider prebuilt NAS options.

as for actually answering your question.. by "software" i guess you mean operating system? you dont really want to just slap software on top of a regular windows install to fullfill your nas needs.

a few options you could consider:

- before mentioned regular old windows install, toss in two extra drives as storage, share one with SMB, and use windows backup to make nightly backups to the other

- same as before, but with linux. advantage: its free, disadvantage: you need to know your way around linux.

- freenas

- any other nas-specific OSes

- windows server, bunch of drives, software raid, and potentially some backup solution as well.

Mine runs Server 2012 R2 along with other software that I use. Literally just an SMB share

I'd run a Linux server distro with Samba and Webmin if you want a web management interface.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup: