How to update Dual BIOS?

Go to solution Solved by AshleyAshes,
14 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

Dual Bios motherboards usually have a small button/lever/jumper to switch between the two bioses, I recommend you consult your motherboard manual.

10 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

Yes it's a physical switch/jumper, much like the clear cmos jumper.

The point of having a dual bios is to remove the risk of the bios corrupting or experiencing similar issues. With a dual bios you are pretty much just able to overwrite the corrupt bios with the other working bios.

This is all wrong.  Gigabyte DualBIOS is not selectable and can not be updated.  It's basically a BACKUP BIOS.  If the board can't POST it stops trying and instead initializes the secondary BIOS that it is certain works and that BIOS is used purely for recovery of the 'real' BIOS.  The secondary BIOS is not writable to prevent end users from screwing it up.

OP: Nothing is wrong, the secondary BIOS can't be updated by normal means, it's not supposed to, don't try.

Hello!

Some time ago I purchased my first motherboard (GA-Z270X-Gaming K5) with dual BIOS. I am actually a little inexperienced in this topic, but I have successfully updated BIOS from version F2 to F6. What I have heard though is that you are supposed to upgrade both BIOS you have, but I have no idea how to switch BIOS or how to upgrade the other one. I did Google but did not help my case. 

I would be very thankful for any help!

Just now, Tibbles said:

Dual Bios motherboards usually have a small button/lever/jumper to switch between the two bioses, I recommend you consult your motherboard manual.

You mean a physical switch on the motherboard?

Also, is that true that it is important to update both BIOS? It seems to me if only one is being used then the other, unused BIOS would not affect the work of my computer running on updated BIOS.

11 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

The point of having a dual bios is to remove the risk of the bios corrupting or experiencing similar issues. With a dual bios you are pretty much just able to overwrite the corrupt bios with the other working bios.

I get the idea and I really like it and thank for your answer. But I am still not sure if in current situation (not corrupted main bios just working) a not updated secondary BIOS would have any influence on the machine behaviour/performance.

14 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

10 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

This is all wrong.  Gigabyte DualBIOS is not selectable and can not be updated.  It's basically a BACKUP BIOS.  If the board can't POST it stops trying and instead initializes the secondary BIOS that it is certain works and that BIOS is used purely for recovery of the 'real' BIOS.  The secondary BIOS is not writable to prevent end users from screwing it up.

OP: Nothing is wrong, the secondary BIOS can't be updated by normal means, it's not supposed to, don't try.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Thank you very much, that explains why I was unable to find a way to switch to another BIOS. 

I believe the topic can be archived.

I hope you guys have a great day!