Net Neutrality

yaseryaser
Go to solution Solved by Yoinkerman,

it probably already affects your country, because i'm sure your government blocks various things on the internet, chat services, social media, etc

well, I was introduced to the term Net Neutrality recently and have a question.

it's a concern only in the U.S or it is global and how do I know if it's affecting my country ???

I live in the middle east

it probably already affects your country, because i'm sure your government blocks various things on the internet, chat services, social media, etc

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

the current protest is for the US. however if it passes there's a chance other countries will think it's a good thing/they can do it. and then everything goes to shit

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, Jeffy said:

It is in the US only, but for now. it may come into affect around the globe in near future!

This is misleading. Net Neutrality is a concept. The FCC recently enshrined that concept into law, but the new FCC members (Along with lobbyists that stand to financially gain from unfair treatment) are trying to push to remove the Net Neutrality protections.

Many countries already have defacto net neutrality, as protected inherently by other - non related - laws.

However, a great large number of countries (NK, China, most - if not, all - of the middle east) are anti-net neutrality, and have laws directly contravening the concept.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

12 hours ago, Jeffy said:

It is in the US only, but for now. it may come into affect around the globe in near future!

What about the countries that are asociated with the US?

AFAIK the US lends the internet service to other countries, it doesn't matter if the ISP of the other countries call the service their own, it's always connected to a satellite which is US property.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | MB: Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16Gb 3200Mhz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | SSD: Crucial MX300 275Gb | HDD: WD Black 2Tb | Monitor: LG 27GL83A

12 hours ago, Jeffy said:

Net Neutrality being a concept is understandable and I agree with what dalekphalm is saying, but I was specifically talking about the protest and mayhem that has been going around for a while.

The satellites being the property of US doesn't impact of the throttling I suppose. 

I don't know what you're talking about, but a negligible amount of the global internet traffic flows through satellites at all. The accepted figure is ~95% of traffic goes through underwater sea cables.

So while a large amount of traffic will still flow through US Servers, much of global traffic doesn't even touch it.

It's certainly a bad thing that the US is attempting to abandon Net Neutrality, but satellites have pretty much nothing to do with it :)

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)