Anyone still playing old Star Wars games?

Zando_

Do you still play Battlefront II (2005)  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you?

• Yes! It's awesome!
    • Nope, too old.
    • Never heard of it.
    • Not yet, but imma check it out.
  2. 2. What's your favorite Star Wars game?

• Battlefront II
    • TOR, KOTOR, etc.
    • Republic Commando
    • Star Wars Galaxies
    • X-Wing (+ Special Edition)
    • TIE Fighter (+ Special Edition)
    • X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
    • X-Wing Alliance
    • Jedi Knight Series (Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast)
    • Other (Post below and I'll add them)
    • Empire at War

Just now, LooneyJuice said:

I remember that too, and I seem to recall Disney giving it a tentative "okay" on legal grounds for now.

here: 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

@LooneyJuice, added a new question to the poll. Any other games I should add? I think there's X Wing, TIE Fighter, etc, but I forget the proper names. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

here: 

Yep, that's the one. I sure hope it makes it through.

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

@LooneyJuice, added a new question to the poll. Any other games I should add? I think there's X Wing, TIE Fighter, etc, but I forget the proper names. 

Also, if you just want to make a bit of a repository page for SW games, you can just list them as "Other SW" games. There's RC, X-Wing(+Special Edition), TIE Fighter (+ Special Edition), XW vs TF, X-Wing Alliance, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, KOTOR I / II, and that's pretty much all I can think of off the top of my head when it comes to the ones that mattered.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

7 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

Yep, that's the one. I sure hope it makes it through.

Also, if you just want to make a bit of a repository page for SW games, you can just list them as "Other SW" games. There's RC, X-Wing(+Special Edition), TIE Fighter (+ Special Edition), XW vs TF, X-Wing Alliance, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast, KOTOR I / II, and that's pretty much all I can think of off the top of my head when it comes to the ones that mattered.

Yup, those are all the good ones, I just couldn't remember what they were called. I think I'll change the thread title as well, since we're discussing all the good early 2000s games. Seems all the best games content wise came from that era. Now they've got the epic graphics the designers back then would have dreamed of, but have lost the art of crafting a good storyline and lots of authentic content. Though I have high hopes for the new Battlefront 2. 

EDIT: Updated the poll and title and such. 

Main PC 

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yup, those are all the good ones, I just couldn't remember what they were called. I think I'll change the thread title as well, since we're discussing all the good early 2000s games. Seems all the best games content wise came from that era. Now they've got the epic graphics the designers back then would have dreamed of, but have lost the art of crafting a good storyline and lots of authentic content. Though I have high hopes for the new Battlefront 2. 

Well, I mean, I don't like being the guy who says "bah, games aren't what they used to be". I mean, sure, there were lots of great games released in the early/mid 2000s, lots of great games. On the other hand, the technical ability of a lot of dev teams has gone up to the point where it's really hard to bring something that groundbreaking to the table (coupled with corporate policy, sure). But when it comes to Star Wars specifically, yeah, I have to agree, I do feel that it has simply turned into a skin to clothe all of the cookie-cutter modern mechanics in the arsenal. 

Battlefront 2 is going to have a proper singleplayer campaign at least, so yes, I'm anxiously waiting for it. MP is cool and all, but MP isn't everything. And MP only lasts as long as you can take the same choke points, the same killing zones, the same plays and the same mechanics ad infinitum.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

Well, I mean, I don't like being the guy who says "bah, games aren't what they used to be". I mean, sure, there were lots of great games released in the early/mid 2000s, lots of great games. On the other hand, the technical ability of a lot of dev teams has gone up to the point where it's really hard to bring something that groundbreaking to the table. But when it comes to Star Wars specifically, yeah, I have to agree, I do feel that it has simply turned into a skin to clothe all of the cookie-cutter modern mechanics in the arsenal. 

Battlefront 2 is going to have a proper singleplayer campaign at least, so yes, I'm anxiously waiting for it. MP is cool and all, but MP isn't everything. And MP only lasts as long as you can take the same choke points, the same killing zones, the same plays and the same mechanics ad infinitum.

I'm also exited for the campaign. It looks like it'll be a great story, and the acting is top notch. And EA seems to have learned of gamer's hate for paid DLCs (Who would have thought people would complain about expensive adding to an already $60+ game?), and is promising free DLCs. And as usual, the graphics are jaw-droppingly good. 

Main PC 

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I'm also exited for the campaign. It looks like it'll be a great story, and the acting is top notch. And EA seems to have learned of gamer's hate for paid DLCs (Who would have thought people would complain about expensive adding to an already $60+ game?), and is promising free DLCs. And as usual, the graphics are jaw-droppingly good. 

Yeah EA has copped enough shit to the point where they're treading very lightly. They will eventually make a mistake again out of complacency, I'm almost 100% sure. But hopefully, outraged social media hordes will react violently enough again to keep them in check. It's the ebb and flow of Publishers prodding consumer cash cows, seeing how far they can go until the eventual outrage and apology. Rinse and repeat. It's I guess a weird form of consumer protection, but it works. 

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

1 minute ago, LooneyJuice said:

Yeah EA has copped enough shit to the point where they're treading very lightly. They will eventually make a mistake again out of complacency, I'm almost 100% sure. But hopefully, outraged social media hordes will react violently enough again to keep them in check. It's the ebb and flow of Publishers prodding consumer cash cows, seeing how far they can go until the eventual outrage and apology. Rinse and repeat. It's I guess a weird form of consumer protection, but it works. 

Yup. I personally don't see why they need to charge for DLCs, since they should be part of the game anyways. that's the cool part about games like Star Citizen. Everyone complains they're taking ages, but they're making sure they've got it all finished and done right and the community is happy with it, before they package it up and officially release it. If only 13:13 hadn't been nuked... 

Main PC 

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yup. I personally don't see why they need to charge for DLCs, since they should be part of the game anyways. that's the cool part about games like Star Citizen. Everyone complains they're taking ages, but they're making sure they've got it all finished and done right and the community is happy with it, before they package it up and officially release it. If only 13:13 hadn't been nuked... 

Well, I have no issue with DLC as a whole. The way I see it, DLC mainly has bad connotations on account of the metaphorical and literal "horse armor". When DLC is minor cosmetic trinkets or major slabs of gameplay cut from the final product, it drives me nuts, indeed. But when DLC is just a more modern name for something like an Expansion Pack, I'm all for it. It's Developer-grade content, it extends a game I really enjoy, and if it's reasonably priced, even better.

I am a bit biased as to the game, but an example of this is Witcher 3 with Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine. Not to mention all the stupid amounts of free DLC that came before that. Stuff like added quests, armor, alternate appearances. You give some, you get some, it's how it goes. It's a symbiotic relationship between developers and consumers the way I see it.

But golden AKs and animal print knives can suck it.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

Well, I have no issue with DLC as a whole. The way I see it, DLC mainly has bad connotations on account of the metaphorical and literal "horse armor". When DLC is minor cosmetic trinkets or major slabs of gameplay cut from the final product, it drives me nuts, indeed. But when DLC is just a more modern name for something like an Expansion Pack, I'm all for it. It's Developer-grade content, it extends a game I really enjoy, and if it's reasonably priced, even better.

I am a bit biased as to the game, but an example of this is Witcher 3 with Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine. Not to mention all the stupid amounts of free DLC that came before that. Stuff like added quests, armor, alternate appearances. You give some, you get some, it's how it goes. It's a symbiotic relationship between developers and consumers the way I see it.

But golden AKs and animal print knives can suck it.

Good point. As long as it adds more content, and is priced accordingly, it's not too bad. Though if I were a developer, I'd just let peeps develop mods, and focus on making a great game at first. Like Battlefront II, it's awesome, and fun, and when you get bored there's a massive amount of mods you can install to keep it fresh. I don't see why devs would be against modding, since it'll just make more people buy your game so they can mod it. 

Main PC 

Good point. As long as it adds more content, and is priced accordingly, it's not too bad. Though if I were a developer, I'd just let peeps develop mods, and focus on making a great game at first. Like Battlefront II, it's awesome, and fun, and when you get bored there's a massive amount of mods you can install to keep it fresh. I don't see why devs would be against modding, since it'll just make more people buy your game so they can mod it. 

Well, the way I see it is that an ideal situation is a middle ground between something like Bethesda and CD Projekt to put it extremely broadly. That is, to have a very open policy regarding modding your game (which involves an SDK, some rudimentary tools and free reign), but also be able to produce a complete and functional experience without the mods (I'm looking at you Bethesda...). It is a matter of fact, a rich modding ecosystem drives sales, whether you augment it with official DLC or not. So, the only reasons why Devs or Publishers wouldn't want mods, or wouldn't endorse mods are: 

1. Inability to supply guidelines or tools to decompile/compile game files (due to time constraints or company policy)

2. Fervent protection of intellectual property or code for no reason other than "Muh IP"

3. Maintaining strict control over content in order to drip-feed paid content in the future according to a Publisher's or Developer's pre-described timeline/milestones.

It's sad considering that a lot of developers could have their cake and eat it. But for a multitude of reasons decide not to, and mostly due to antiquated business practices regarding control of property or stockholder pandering. Again, this is strictly what I've gathered, not the rule of law.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

1 minute ago, LooneyJuice said:

Well, the way I see it is that an ideal situation is a middle ground between something like Bethesda and CD Projekt to put it extremely broadly. That is, to have a very open policy regarding modding your game (which involves an SDK, some rudimentary tools and free reign), but also be able to produce a complete and functional experience without the mods (I'm looking at you Bethesda...). It is a matter of fact, a rich modding ecosystem drives sales, whether you augment it with official DLC or not. So, the only reasons why Devs or Publishers wouldn't want mods, or wouldn't endorse mods are: 

1. Inability to supply guidelines or tools to decompile/compile game files (due to time constraints or company policy)

2. Fervent protection of intellectual property or code for no reason other than "Muh IP"

3. Maintaining strict control over content in order to drip-feed paid content in the future according to a Publisher's or Developer's pre-described timeline/milestones.

It's sad considering that a lot of developers could have their cake and eat it. But for a multitude of reasons decide not to, and mostly due to antiquated business practices regarding control of property or stockholder pandering. Again, this is strictly what I've gathered, not the rule of law.

Yup. I'd love to build game, but I gotta learn a lot first. If I did eventually, I'd release everything anyone needs to make mods, since it's not going to hurt me if they do. Like you said, it'll just drive sales, and there's no problem with happy customers squeezing every ounce of enjoyment out of their games. Speaking of mods, I saw somewhere you can mod Battlefront (the new EA one)? 

Main PC 

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Speaking of mods, I saw somewhere you can mod Battlefront (the new EA one)? 

Hmmm, I haven't heard anything to that extent. I sure wish it's true. I'd kill for some more modded spaceflight-oriented content.

Also, yeah, if you do eventually one day get to design your own little game, there's plenty of moddable successful indie projects out there.

First one which comes to mind is The Binding of Isaac. Modding really can't hurt if you're open about it and you're not being a penis.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

On 7/18/2017 at 8:15 AM, Zando Bob said:

here: 

THEY ARE REMASTERING THIS?!

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

Also if anyone wants to get a group together to play any of these games I have battlefront 2, republic commando and the kotor games but I don't know if the old ones are multiplayer

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

14 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

THEY ARE REMASTERING THIS?!

It's a remake in UE4. Though like a ton of people said in the comments on that vid, they were stupid to announce it before it was done, since EA will probs shut them down "because it takes attention away from our Battlefront games", to which I would say, make a better game! 

Main PC 

16 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

Also if anyone wants to get a group together to play any of these games I have battlefront 2, republic commando and the kotor games but I don't know if the old ones are multiplayer

You can do multiplayer on BF2 (I'll have to hook my PC up to the internet to join in though). You use GameRanger, and then set up a LAN match on Battlefront II. It catches the LAN signal and puts it online, so you can join in. And there's a couple servers running 24/7 for Battlefront 2, and I think they have matches for KOTOR as well. 

EDIT: And if anyone can help me figure out how to run a modded server, I'd get one up and running and leave it online 24/7, if my dad gives me the A-OK. 

Main PC 

You can do multiplayer on BF2 (I'll have to hook my PC up to the internet to join in though). You use GameRanger, and then set up a LAN match on Battlefront II. It catches the LAN signal and puts it online, so you can join in. And there's a couple servers running 24/7 for Battlefront 2, and I think they have matches for KOTOR as well. 

Okay cool thanks for the info I will be looking into this

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

Just now, WhisperingKnickers said:

Okay cool thanks for the info I will be looking into this

I'm ZandoBob1, 2, and 3 (so I can play with my sibs) on GameRanger, but I forget if my profile is public. 

Main PC 

Just now, Zando Bob said:

I'm ZandoBob1, 2, and 3 (so I can play with my sibs) on GameRanger, but I forget if my profile is public. 

I am at work now but when I get home I will get gameranger set up and I will add you

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

Just now, WhisperingKnickers said:

I am at work now but when I get home I will get gameranger set up and I will add you

Same here. I'll try and make sure my profile is set up so you can. Won't be able to play too much till I get my gaming PC hooked up to the 'Net. I can run it in Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro though. What time zone are you in?

Main PC 

On 7/16/2017 at 6:14 PM, fpo said:

I did the entire campaign. The one with the short movies with voice over between missions. I think I've played almost every map and there were at least a few graphical bugs per map. The tutorial level, and naboo were the most broken graphically. The entire floor black, or yellow  and red. The game still worked 100%, just the textures showed up oddly for me. 

Is your GPU an AMD one?

Main PC 

@LooneyJuice, other awesome mods are the GCW-1035 mod (I think by Delta), and his TFA mod. They make the stormtrooper skins look amazing, and bring in the guns and such from the new Battlefront. Basically EA's Battlefront (especially once you have HarrisonFog's maps installed -the Death Star is especially good - and Evolved and the graphic mod running), without star cards and it's all offline if you want it to be. 

EDIT: Also, do you know any good free gameplay capture software? Nvidia has one, right? It'd be cool to upload some vids, just to show people how cool the mods are. 

Main PC 

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Is your GPU an AMD one?

aye!

I mean yes... I just wanted to be a pirate for a second. desktop I played on is an R9 390. I don't think I played on my laptop; My laptop's gpu is an R9 m275-also an AMD GPU.