Teen got electrocuted and died for using her phone in the shower while charging it...

GoodBytes

:sigh: Well... what can I say...

Apparently some people don't know that using a phone, even if it is water roof, while charging in the shower [update: some news source says she was bathing], will electrocute you. Yes, tap water conduct electricity, and using your electrical device in your shower will electrocute you, as water will go in the USB charging port, and conduct the high current to you as you are a great conductor especially in the shower, wet, next to metal pipes that are also grounded to earth.

A 14-years old girl from Lubbock, Texas died in the shower (or bathing) on Sunday while using her cellphone in the shower while being charging or about to plug it for charging while in the shower.

Madison Coe’s family says they aren’t sure whether she was plugging it in at the time or using it plugged in. “There was a burn mark on her hand,” Coe’s grandmother, Donna O’Guinn, told CBS affiliate WAFB. “The hand that would have grabbed the phone. That was just very obvious that that’s what had happened.”

Coe had just graduated from the eighth grade and was at her father’s home in Lovington, New Mexico, when she died. The basketball and tuba player was planning to attend high school in Houston in the fall.

Source: https://www.dailydot.com/irl/teen-dies-using-phone-bathtub/

If you have kids or plan to, be sure to teach them about the dangers of electricity, especially with those fancier phone with fancier charger which deliver higher current for faster charging. Also, be sure that your bathroom features GFCI Outlets. These are electrical outlet cost a bit more than normal one, but can save lives. They are designed to trip faster and easier than the main breaker, limiting exposure if you get shocked (few milliseconds reaction time when it trips). Also, it is recommended that GFCI outlets should be tested monthly to ensure the trip mechanism is in working order. To do this, simply hit the Test button, and the plug should trip. Hit the Reset button after for the outlet to make it work again. And be sure that the model you pick matches the Amps of your main circuit breaker. Best to ask a certified electrician to install it. And of course, don't use any electrical devices, including electric razors in the shower or while wet. Battery powered or not.

I saw that. While I will admit to using my phone in the shower (for music or watching something on YouTube), I would NEVER try to charge something while in the shower. So it seems that those large labels on hair dryer power cables that say "DON"T USE WHILE IN THE SHOWER" or something of the sort should be put on cell phone chargers.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

This is why a ceramic flat iron or a blow dryer should be used outside of the bathroom. 

I do sometimes listen to music while in the shower (and sing with it) but I haven't charged my phone. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I saw that. While I will admit to using my phone in the shower (for music or watching something on YouTube), I would NEVER try to charge something while in the shower. So it seems that those large labels on hair dryer power cables that say "DON"T USE WHILE IN THE SHOWER" or something of the sort should be put on cell phone chargers.

For your music shower enjoyment, you can use Bluetooth waterproof speakers/radio. You'll also get better sound. Batteries in smartphones really pack a punch. Even if your phone is waterproof, you never know. Manufacture error can occur and you might be unlucky. or seals might wear out from temperature changes over time, and water can sweep inside.

its sad that this happens, probably didnt pay attention in physics class(atleast here in Sweden electrical circuts and so on are done in Physics class untill Highschool)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

This seems more like a perfect storm of 3 items.

1: The girl was not informed enough to know not to use a phone while its charging in water.

2. A fast charger must have been used. Your typical charger is 5v 1A, which will hurt a lot but is unlikely to kill you, even when wet.

3. The outlets were not gfci. The power would have cut immediately to the outlet. Where I live every outlet within a certain distance from water is required to be this sort of outlet.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Just now, GoodBytes said:

For you musics shower enjoyments, you can use Bluetooth water proof radios. You'll also get better sound. Batteries in smartphones really pack a punch. Even if your phone is water proof, you never know. Manufacture can occur and you might be unlucky. or seals might wear out from temperature changes over time, and water can sweep inside.

I do usually do that, but for those times where I can't be bothered, I'll just lay my phone on the window ledge that is in my shower. I don't recommend it though.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

For you musics shower enjoyments, you can use Bluetooth water proof radios. You'll also get better sound. Batteries in smartphones really pack a punch. Even if your phone is water proof, you never know. Manufacture can occur and you might be unlucky. or seals might wear out from temperature changes over time, and water can sweep inside.

yah just look at people stabbing lipo batteries with a knife or even the Samsung "handgranade" note 7

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

3. The outlets were not gfci. The power would have cut immediately to the outlet. Where I live every outlet within a certain distance from water is required to be this sort of outlet.

In my house, all three bathrooms have their outlets on one GFCI outlet located in the first floor half-bath. The outlets in the kitchen are on two different GFCI circuits.

I dont understand how this makes sense. The transformer is only putting out 5 volts. Period. 5 volts is not enough to over come resistance to penetrate skin. Even it the water made it down the cable to the power brick and managed to get into the outlet it would of most likely shorted in the outlet and kicked the breaker. Also in a shower the water is flowing around you and will most likely go around your body instead of through your heart. It just doesnt seem right.

Aw man. I mean, I don't want to go dancing on anyone's grave here, but holy shit. I know, law of averages, yada yada, and that silly things will always happen to some of the 7+ billion on this planet, but really? She had a smartphone, she had graduated from 8th grade which means some kind of schooling (I hope), but no basic knowledge of "Water + Electricity = The Electron Shake"?

Also, not an electrician, but how could a device like that be potent enough to kill you, was there something else involved here? The article states that they found her the way they did, not necessarily how it happened.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

This is an interesting and unexpected result - combining electricity and water resulting in electrocution. This is a remarkably fascinating discovery. /s

I think physics needs to be taught at a younger age.

Why do people need to always have their phone? I would never even think of bringing my phone in the shower, it's never even crossed my mind. I mean, is 5-10 minutes without your smartphone just too much to bear? I have put my phone by the sink to play music while I was in the shower before, but I usually don't even bother.

I hate that the girl died, but I'm sorry, it was stupid, for more than one reason.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

the bathrooms in my home don't have any outlets in them.

The half-bath and the smaller full bathroom both have one pair of outlets, and the master has two pairs.

6 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I do usually do that, but for those times where I can't be bothered, I'll just lay my phone on the window ledge that is in my shower. I don't recommend it though.

Why not leave the Bluetooth speaker in the bathroom. Like this you just come in to the bath room, his the power button, and your phone should auto-connect to it, and you just hit the play button. If it is because you only have 1, you can get a cheap'ish one for the bathroom, I mean you don't care about sound quality per se.. the heavy echo from the bathroom ruins it all to start with.

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I dont understand how this makes sense. The transformer is only putting out 5 volts. Period. 5 volts is not enough to over come resistance to penetrate skin. Even it the water made it down the cable to the power brick and managed to get into the outlet it would of most likely shorted in the outlet and kicked the breaker.

i assume the charger cable wasn't long enough so she used an extension cord bringing dangerous AC voltage right into the shower cabin

@GoodBytes dude, the title, I thought for a second that was a punishment lol. Naw but really, this was a very dumb thing to do and now a young girl is dead, this is why kids need to be thought about power phases, unity power factor and how mains earth works from a young age.

Yours faithfully

Dun naturally select herself...

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

The half-bath and the smaller full bathroom both have one pair of outlets, and the master has two pairs.

Where I live it's illegal and against code to have ANY power sockets or switches in the backroom, only the pull cord type, but we have 240v 33A power here so that's like 8KW which is not just instant death land, it's fried instant death.  

Yours faithfully

11 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

its sad that this happens, probably didnt pay attention in physics class(atleast here in Sweden electrical circuts and so on are done in Physics class untill Highschool)

Doesn't take physics class, this was the parents job imo. I was taught that anything plugged in the wall should never be anywhere near the tub at a very young age, we're talking 4 or 5. Kids need to be taught about the dangers around them, and early.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Why not leave the Bluetooth speaker in the bathroom. Like this you just come in to the bath room, his the power button, and your phone should auto-connect to it, and you just hit the play button. If it is because you only have 1, you can get a cheap'ish one for the bathroom, I mean you don't care about sound quality per se.. the heavy echo from the bathroom ruins it all to start with.

I have never really had a good experience with Bluetooth, and I'm careful for what I do.