Fan Choice. Noctua or Corsair ML range

xsimplyjosh

i'm thinking about two types of fans from extensive research, teardown of prices etc.

be it the entire noctua's brown/white standard range. OR the Corsair ML120/140 range. These are the two choices i have narrowed down after extensive readings for a few days.

essentially what happened is i spent more time on fan/cases than i actually did on PC components alone due to the fact that i am solely trying to "optimize" my system to have top notch cooling without any compromises [no i am not doing water cooling custom; i am intending to use a liquid cooler aio for the cpu//gpu uses the built in heatsink/fan header].

Essentially the priority is from top to bottom

1st being Thermal having top priority

2nd is being Noise. or in a way these could both be clumped together as they are directly correlated one way or another...

What i want to know is anyone who had experience with Noctua over Corsair is the Noctua's that much better over corsair for the price. in terms of thermal and noise/performance? kinda tearing my head over now as essentially ive spent way too much time researching/debating between these two :( [also the case is a dilemma since that + the fans correlate to each other one way or another] or is the corsair just as good that it is over the noctua?

tradeoff is noctua's got a funny color [which is looks primarily] but thats all i can see from a straight perspective whilst corsair's is very familiar and same time after time.

any recommendation would be great thanks...

sidenote: Budget wise it should be no issue given they are both priced so damn similarly. i had 6x generic cooler master fans before @ 10$ each with blue LED, but now kinda looking for future proofing in terms of fan performance as the cooler masters have died on me. [if i need LED its red primarily and thats just a personal choice but im trying to decipher performance capability between the two]

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

They're not in the same category. in that ML's are high performance fans that are relatively quiet whereas standard noctua fans have decent performance while being very quiet.

What are your specs?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

For case fans alone Noctua's are meh but Noctua's air coolers can't be beat. Buy a DH-15s and grab two more 140's for it for cooling. Depending on your graphics card you could also remove the shroud and fans and jury-rig it with several Noctua fans. Either 92mm's or 120mm's depending on card size. Looks janky as fuck but it apparently works really really well. For case fans your best bet in terms of CFM/dB would be Noiseblockers at least for the next year or so.

http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/products/noiseblocker-it-fans/nb-eloop-series/140x140x29mm.php?lang=EN#tab1

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

They're not in the same category. in that ML's are high performance fans that are relatively quiet whereas standard noctua fans have decent performance while being very quiet.

What are your specs?

im still building parts which im missing case and fans and the aio cooler but i have so far for my next setup:

i7 7700k, 16gb ram 3000MHz, asus 1080ti strix [not blower edition].

ssd/hdd = 256gb/1TB sata

psu: rm750x

this should... be the relevant info prior to case/fan choice dilemma.

so that makes my decision choice even harder :(

3 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

For case fans alone Noctua's are meh but Noctua's air coolers can't be beat. Buy a DH-15s and grab two more 140's for it for cooling. Depending on your graphics card you could also remove the shroud and fans and jury-rig it with several Noctua fans. Either 92mm's or 120mm's depending on card size. Looks janky as fuck but it apparently works really really well. For case fans your best bet in terms of CFM/dB would be Noiseblockers at least for the next year or so.

http://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/products/noiseblocker-it-fans/nb-eloop-series/140x140x29mm.php?lang=EN#tab1

hmm will be challenging to find these fans as im in Aus n crap stuff here is overpriced & limited [limited as in some wont ship usually because This/That]...  they do look nice and the specs look promising too! i will give to that.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

12 hours ago, xsimplyjosh said:

im still building parts which im missing case and fans and the aio cooler but i have so far for my next setup:

i7 7700k, 16gb ram 3000MHz, asus 1080ti strix [not blower edition].

ssd/hdd = 256gb/1TB sata

psu: rm750x

this should... be the relevant info prior to case/fan choice dilemma.

What cases do you have in mind? Do you have a preference for a particular aesthetic or are you just asking for practical solutions?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Im thinking cooler master mastercase pro5 as a fine balance between simplicity & decent air cooling price wise is around 179$ 

i would place practicality first then asthetics second if possible since asthetic is more of personal thing rather than a necessity*

---

On 7/12/2017 at 11:22 PM, xsimplyjosh said:

Im thinking cooler master mastercase pro5 as a fine balance between simplicity & decent air cooling price wise is around 179$ 

i would place practicality first then asthetics second if possible since asthetic is more of personal thing rather than a necessity*

It's a good case. It comes with 2 pre-installed fans which should be enough. You can see how they perform and what's unsatisfactory before deciding to add or replace fans.

You need to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.