Pixel 2 design "leaked" by android police.

Apparently, according to android police, this is what next generation google pixel looks like. 

1111.png.5a8cb93f80cc1bd2dc9eac6667197a14.png

And it features a low-belzel AMOLED display and squeezable frame. 

Confidence Rating: 

We rate this rumor a 8 out of 10 on our confidence scale. The reason we are subtracting two points is due to the fact that we are not confident our source material reflects a fully finalized design. As such, there is a possibility that small changes may still occur before the phone makes it into production, as we don't expect Google to announce this device before October. Still, we are exceptionally confident that this image represents the overall look and feel of Google's new smartphone, even if some small elements may not end up being representative of the final product.

Note that this is the larger Pixel device. We do not have any information about the smaller phone for 2017.

About the design of the phone:

The rear of the new XL is curved like last year's phone, though perhaps with sharper corners this time around. The fingerprint scanner now sits below the glass  "window" at the top of the phone, as opposed to inside it, likely because the window itself seems substantially smaller than the one on the 2016 XL.

It's unclear based on our imagery if the new XL's camera is perfectly flush with the glass window as on last year's phone, but the silvered ring around the lens cover suggests to me that it may stick out ever-so-slightly, which isn't the best, but far from a deal breaker visually. Gone is the lower body antenna band (perhaps blended to match the body color?), and the phone doesn't appear to have any noticeable antenna bands anywhere that I can see. It's possible they're just cleverly hidden - I wouldn't hold my breath on a completely "bandless" phone.

Moving to the front, we see the star of the show: an LG-made AMOLED display 6" across at a 2:1 aspect ratio with minimal bezel and rounded corners. It gives the next-generation XL a much more modern look, putting it firmly alongside phones like the LG G6 and Galaxy S8 that have sought to increase display size without sacrificing on ergonomics, by lengthening the panel and dramatically reducing the amount of bezel on the front of the device. Google doesn't quite take it to the full-on Samsung level here, but I still think this is going to ensure the new XL doesn't look behind the curve on smartphone design in 2017. The "3D" glass effect is also much more pronounced on this phone, though don't go confusing that for a curved display - the screen itself is flat.

We can see a very wide speaker grille at the top, as well as the front-facing camera. It's unclear to me if this speaker will be used in tandem with a bottom-firing driver, HTC-style, to create a "stereo" effect, but it wouldn't surprise me. As to the headphone jack, we're not really sure what the status of that is, unfortunately.

In regard to the smaller Pixel, I tend to think it'll be largely unchanged versus the current Pixel, with the new "XL" representing the cutting edge of Google's engineering and design efforts, while the smaller device will act as a sort of entry-level option.

Note that they also stated this is the larger variant of the 2 models, namely the Pixel XL. 

I personally think that this gen's google pixel has a more refined and matured design than the last gen. They kept some of the design language of their 1st gen pixel and did some changes based on that. 

What do you guys think? 

Source: http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07/11/exclusive-this-is-the-2017-google-pixel-xl-with-low-bezel-amoled-display-and-squeezable-frame/

Edited by GoodBytes
Format fixed for forum dark theme

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

7 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Meh

Just another smartphone

They just mashed HTC and Samsung together.We still haven't seen anything really exciting from google.It still looks ugly AF though

My life

I like Google's own phones as they have stock Android with fast updates. I've yet to see a flagship phone I actually want to pay for though, and this doesn't change that. Bring on the 2B before they stop supporting my 5X.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I wonder how long it'll be supported for when it releases.

Right now the support cycle is 2 years, due to Qualcomm only supporting their SoCs for two years, but Google's working on changing that.

24 minutes ago, Daring said:

Right now the support cycle is 2 years, due to Qualcomm only supporting their SoCs for two years, but Google's working on changing that.

2 years LUL

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

2 years LUL

Yup, blame Qualcomm. I really hope Google fixes at least that problem with Project Treble, which aims to skip the problematic "silicon manufacturers" (e.g. Qualcomm, Mediatek, Samsung) step that limits how long they can support a phone.

31 minutes ago, Daring said:

2 minutes ago, Daring said:

Yup, blame Qualcomm. I really hope Google fixes at least that problem with Project Treble, which aims to skip the problematic "silicon manufacturers" (e.g. Qualcomm, Mediatek, Samsung) step that limits how long they can support a phone.

Jesus fuck, that's quite a short period of time because companies are quite stupid.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

so the chip manufacturer controlled how long a chip is supported? I didn't know that... I thought it was the OEM (samsung, sony, xiaomi,huawei) that do not want to support their hardware cos you know, they want people to buy new hardware more frequently...

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Jesus fuck, that's quite a short period of time because companies are quite stupid.

Yup. It's dumb.

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

so the chip manufacturer controlled how long a chip is supported? I didn't know that... I thought it was the OEM (samsung, sony, xiaomi,huawei) that do not want to support their hardware cos you know, they want people to buy new hardware more frequently...

Oh, they still have to incentivize OEMs to push out updates, but this is being done so they don't get mocked for supporting their own flagship phones for only 2 years. They're just skipping the "send the source code to the silicon manufacturer" step and taking that part of the process in-house.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yeah... that was my point too.. 

I would love if they made a flagship with slim bezels and a 16:9 aspect ratio. I still give us a 5.7 inch screen, but just make the phone smaller.

It would have been cool if they introduced the Sub-Pixel phones, where you have lower end phones, but still very capable and powerful, and offer it with shades of red, green and blue. That would have been a pretty cool marketing move in my opinion.

I don't understand why people are so excited when an OEM is using AMOLED for their phones? 

1. AMOLED has a shorter lifespan than LCD 
  2. As AMOLED display ages, whites become yellow. 
  3. AMOLED displays are more prone to screen burn in
  4. LCDs are often true to life colors. AMOLED displays tend to oversaturate. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I don't understand why people are so excited when an OEM is using AMOLED for their phones? 

1. AMOLED has a shorter lifespan than LCD 
  2. As AMOLED display ages, whites become yellow. 
  3. AMOLED displays are more prone to screen burn in
  4. LCDs are often true to life colors. AMOLED displays tend to oversaturate. 

All true however. OLED screen technology have moved forward a lot over the years. They last a lot longer. Plus phone displays have the luxury of using none-standard sub pixel layout, and keep a sharp image due to the super high DPI (300%+). This allows to have larger blue sub pixel, for instant, to allow Blue channel to last longer matching the green and red.

For example of one of the many sub pixels layouts:

oledpent.jpg

To extend the life further of OLED displays, their display processor calculates color offset of the sub-pixels and adjust the colors to compensates and bring accurate colors.

The over-saturation of the OLED screen is because they output wide gamut, but this is more phone manufacturers having fun, because it looks nicer in stores. I don't know about all Android based phones, but on my phone, I can adjust the colors. And the color switching is at a hardware level (actually communicating with the panel to adjust the colors, and not software driven, where you start lacking colors due to the algorithm and panel limitation)

LCD can be or not wide gamut all depending on the backlight and the panel itself. Unless you spent the big bucks for a true 8-bit or more panel and fancy backlight, your monitor is "standard gamut". And that is not life like at all.. it is washed out or over saturated to try and compensate but doing so you lose on the details on none vivid colors. Go a day at the park on a sunny days, and pay close attention to what you see on trees, grass, flowers, and so on... you'll see that the color space and gamut is huge comparatively to your monitor.

55 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It would have been cool if they introduced the Sub-Pixel phones, where you have lower end phones, but still very capable and powerful, and offer it with shades of red, green and blue. That would have been a pretty cool marketing move in my opinion.

What you described is just the good old nexus line up. 

I think the whole point of previous gen nexus line up was to make more people use stock android. 

Then google can make their own high end hardware to make more profit out of it. 

The whole thing was designed to be this way, I don't think google will make any middle end cellphone with stock android on it. 

52 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

What you described is just the good old nexus line up. 

I think the whole point of previous gen nexus line up was to make more people use stock android. 

Then google can make their own high end hardware to make more profit out of it. 

The whole thing was designed to be this way, I don't think google will make any middle end cellphone with stock android on it. 

Yea, I know :/ But would be cool, in a marketing point of view.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Hey if the red phone takes off I'm sure Samsung and Apple will up their prices to 1500 bucks and this will basically be the sub-pixel

-------

Current Rig

-------

I, for one, like the design.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Hmphf. Hopefully it will be available in Norway for a change.

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

All in all the design is rather nice apart from maybe the overly large camera.

Can't tell from the render fully but the phone seems thicker than most, maybe a larger battery?. It would be a good step to have a 4000mAh battery in this size of a phone.