Custom watercooling at AIO prices?

Yeah, this is pretty awesome. I've recently installed one of their performance kits and buyers should be aware that installing these kits is not nearly as simple as installing an AIO. Very different experience in fact. That said, it's an awesome kit and opportunity for folks who want to take the time but can't do the cost. 

Note: I've not been able to watch the video yet. I'm sure they cover what I've written to one degree or another. 

2 minutes ago, FrankV said:

Yeah, this is pretty awesome. I've recently installed one of their performance kits and buyers should be aware that installing these kits is not nearly as simple as installing an AIO. Very different experience in fact. That said, it's an awesome kit and opportunity for folks who want to take the time but can't do the cost. 

Note: I've not been able to watch the video yet. I'm sure they cover what I've written to one degree or another. 

Yep we mention in the video that install takes an hour + some time for GPUs (if you have WC for them) and isn't the easiest thing ever.

IMO this is actually a stupid product, here's why.

1. For the CPU only models it is WAY too expensive compared to an AIO. $140 for a 120mm RAD, while an AIO would cost you $60. And $150 for the 240mm, while an AIO would cost you $100. And they only have a tiny performance improvement.

2. No option for aftermarket cards, considering that most people buy aftermarket cards that kills that market.

3. As Linus mentioned, there really isn't any upgradablitly here. EK as far as I can tell does not sell their aluminum blocks separately, nor do they sell any other aluminum parts, so the benefits of an AIO are gone unless you want to mix metals.

to me this is in some ways not quite like custom watercooling seeing as its a kit and you just assemble it, you dont get to pick your parts much and buy all the shit and spend all the money and so on. is it a great product for a lot of people, hell yah, is it what i would call a custom loop, nope.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

2. No option for aftermarket cards, considering that most people buy aftermarket cards that kills that market.

the block is machined so it should fit most cards with PCBs that are atleast somewhat similar to the founders one, im sure quite a few ones will fit.

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I3. As Linus mentioned, there really isn't any upgradablitly here. EK as far as I can tell does not sell their aluminum blocks separately, nor do they sell any other aluminum parts, so the benefits of an AIO are gone unless you want to mix metals.

there are aluminum rads on the market and im sure they are going to supply the blocks in a few months

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

the block is machined so it should fit most cards with PCBs that are atleast somewhat similar to the founders one, im sure quite a few ones will fit.

You cannot say this for sure

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

You cannot say this for sure

Jays2Cent made a video a while back on this kit where im pretty sure he mentioned that it would fit more then the founders card

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Jays2Cent made a video a while back on this kit where im pretty sure he mentioned that it would fit more then the founders card

I watched his video, I don't recall him saying that

5 minutes ago, Dietrichw said:

Swiftech H220X is still a better value with copper and $20 less or even the H240x with a 280mm rad for only $10 more than the H220x.

I agree completely 

4 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

It was reference PCB cards that weren't "founders".  I believe EVGA has a few cards that are the same PCB as founders just without a blower cooler

4 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

yah my bad, was thinking of an aftermarker block i saw recently :) 

1 minute ago, Dietrichw said:

It was reference PCB cards that weren't "founders".  I believe EVGA has a few cards that are the same as founders just without a blower cooler

we are talking aboiut the PCB, whatever cooler is on there makes no diffrence when watercooling, what the PCB looks like does

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Dietrichw said:

It was reference PCB cards that weren't "founders".  I believe EVGA has a few cards that are the same as founders just without a blower cooler

Yes I am aware of that, I was referring to cards that do not have a reference PCB. EK makes copper blocks for all the popular cards that have non standard PCBs as well

The pump is bad, the fittings are bad, the tubing is bad, the material of the waterblocks and radiators is bad.

People, please don't buy this.

Save up more money and buy GOOD QUALITY watercooling components.

Custom watercooling is not something to cheap out on like this, so if you can't afford it stick to AIOs until you've saved up enough.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

20 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

IMO this is actually a stupid product, here's why.

1. For the CPU only models it is WAY too expensive compared to an AIO. $140 for a 120mm RAD, while an AIO would cost you $60. And $150 for the 240mm, while an AIO would cost you $100. And they only have a tiny performance improvement.

3. As Linus mentioned, there really isn't any upgradablitly here. EK as far as I can tell does not sell their aluminum blocks separately, nor do they sell any other aluminum parts, so the benefits of an AIO are gone unless you want to mix metals.

the idea is that they are supposed to start making expansion parts but i'm guessing they are waiting to see how sales are before producing other products, also if you are building NEW and not upgrading an old PC then you PLAN to use this you can save yourself some money and specifically choose a founders edition card vs an AIB card thereby offsetting the cost vs AIO's, but yeah unless you are doing the GPU kit it really isn't worth it, AIO's are just far to much easier to use for CPU only tasks.

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The pump is bad, the fittings are bad, the tubing is bad, the material of the waterblocks and radiators is bad.

Custom watercooling is not something to cheap out on like this, so if you can't afford it stick to AIOs until you've saved up enough.

how exactly is it bad? most AIO's are aluminum parts with the only copper being the cold plate.

2 minutes ago, Moderateshadow said:

so what if I use SLI lol.

buy a second kit, have 2 rads and 2 pumps to use them to push all that water through the added restriction of a second gpu block and second rad, then just have a spare cpu block, still cheaper then a copper kit with 2 full coverage GPU blocks

5 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

how exactly is it bad? most AIO's are aluminum parts with the only copper being the cold plate.

1) the pump sucks, DDCs are notorious for being loud, and they also heat up a ton which causes them to fail easily. Any custom loop should spend a few extra bucks for the best pump available, the D5. Quieter, better flow rate, more reliable.

2) EK fittings are bad, you can see tons of people have them leak. This is probably because their o-rings aren't very tight, or their QC is bad. Either way, if you're buying a custom loop, you should buy the best parts possible, so get Bitspower fittings. Yes they are expensive. Not as expensive as replacing a dead GPU though.

3) The tubing is bad, thin wall and easy kinking. Not sure how well it resists discoloration or plasticizer, but Mayhems makes much better tubing for sure. Again, it's only a few dollars more but 100% worth it.

4) AIOs aren't meant to be expanded, so it's not really a problem to use aluminum there. The EK kit is supposed to be a way to expand into a custom loop, but all it does is limit you to their own crappy parts which are all aluminum. If you ever want to build a proper loop with higher quality components you need to basically throw everything out and replace the whole thing. It ends up costing you more than just saving up a bit longer and buying good components from the start.

5) Don't cheap out on a custom loop. This full aluminum kit forces you to buy mediocre/bad parts, and forces you to cheap out unless you replace everything when you decide you want a good loop. It's simply a waste of money.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

How and where can you mount the reservoir to your case? Might shortlist this for my next build...whenever that is. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

EK really could have done a RX water block, and well that's the only reason i haven't bought one, as i'd want to do my GPU as well instead of just CPU.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

Is this still a good value if I use hard tube ?

Im assuming i would need new fittings to achieve this 

Could I get an approximate price of the copper set ups used as well?

13 hours ago, Enderman said:

*Citation Needed*