Safely remove RX 580 backplate ?

Hi everyone !

This is my first post :)

I just finished my first build with a RX 580 in a small form factor and I'm having a few space problems.. The backplate of my GPU is preventing me from plugging the front panel plug correctly in the mobo, and I had to remove one of the clips of the case panel. I remember seeing on LTT channel that the backplate doesn't really help with cooling, but I'm still a but reluctant... Can I safely remove it ?

Thanks !

46 minutes ago, Guich said:

Hi everyone !

This is my first post :)

I just finished my first build with a RX 580 in a small form factor and I'm having a few space problems.. The backplate of my GPU is preventing me from plugging the front panel plug correctly in the mobo, and I had to remove one of the clips of the case panel. I remember seeing on LTT channel that the backplate doesn't really help with cooling, but I'm still a but reluctant... Can I safely remove it ?

Thanks !

It depends on the orientation of your case, the size of the GPU and what motherboard you have. The main purpose of the backplate is to add extra support to the card because as the heat sinks get larger, it puts more strain on the card and PCIe slot. If your case lays flat then it shouldn't be an issue as far as stress on the card/ PCIe slot are concerned. If the cooler is attached to the backplate which some are, you may not be able to use the card without it. Also the backplate doesn't typically extend very far past the PCB so removing it may not really work too well. If your case is vertical, your motherboard is budget without any added support to the PCIe slot or if you can't safely remove the backplate, I would recommend trying to exchange the card for a smaller one designed for a SFF case.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

Thanks Krillingt for this comprehensive answer. The support of the card is a very good point. Maybe I'll just dent the plate around  the problem and I'll be able to keep it !

Cheers,