Jump to content
DocShay

Nano Graphene Water Cooling Coolant In Development

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

From OverClock.Net forum in the Mayhems thread.

Mayhem said:

Mayhems is proud to announce a new partnership with CPI UK (centre for process and innovation) in relation to producing one of the most advance Nano Graphene based non conductive coolant ever seen to date. Up 😀to 20% more thermally conductive than water alone from 20c upto 90c also its one of the most chemically stable coolants compered to any other the market brands with less additives. Best of all non toxic! once again only from Mayhems fully IP protected.

Every thing is going though Development atm so it will take some time before every thing is ready. We will be keeping an eye out for possible testers once were ready.

 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1286896/mayhems-users-club/15020#post_26175840

Update: Mick from Mayhems posted this below, updating original post to reflect new information.

Quote

 

Hello All.

 

Yes we have been working with CPI for a very long time so the message starter on OCN is a little deceiving and ill correct that. We have worked with CPI in the past to make several coolants more stable and the knowledge we have gained from that is allowing us to produce a new coolant from the ground up. The new coolant is a Graphene based type product (cannot go into much detail about it).


What are its advantages so far  and why make it?

 

1) Its is Chemically inert to PH imbalances.

2) Uses a very limited amount of chemicals.

3) Possibly up to 20 to 30% better cooling than water alone (tested in lab environment not real world as of yet).

4) 1 nm thick (pastel is 40nm and aurora 40 to 100nm)

5) Completely new tech never been done before.

6) Uses tech that lubricates pumps and o-rings on the fly with out wetting them.

7) Will prolong the life of your equipment.

8) Should out last the life of your PC. (TBC)

9) Initially will cost a little more to start with but should come down in price as and if we do go into full production, 

 

Why do it ... why not :). 

 

Initially it will not be coloured as this effects its raw performance.

 

Mick

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad Mayhem's isn't on LTT (don't think so anyways).  I'd be first in line to dumping money on a new fluid.  Really they just need to buy the top 5 CPU blocks and have fluid circulating through some 90 degree fittings at a few flow rates for months to make sure the particles don't eventually settle in to corners or get caught by microfins.  It wouldn't be the first "nano" fluid where the particles end up separating out over a few months.


Workstation: E5-1650v3 || ASRock X99 WS-E || EVGA Titan X SLI || Crucial DDR4-2133 ECC 4x8GB || Corsair AX1500i || 25 gallon loop.

HTPC: Optoma HD142X 1080p Projector || 5820K @ Stock || EVGA X99 micro2 || EVGA GTX 680 || Corsair RM650x || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only.

Server VM/Plex/HTTPS/FTP: E5-2699v4 (22 core!) || Asus X99m WS || Zotac GTX 780 || Corsair RM650x || CPU + GPU watercooled 480 rad push pull.

Server Storage: Pent. G3220 || Z87 Gryphon mATX || || LSI 9280i + Adaptec + Intel Expander || 4x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 2x8TB Seagate Archive Backup, Corsair AX1200i || Corsair RM450 || CPU watercooled 

On the Shelf:  7700K @ 5.3, Gigabyte Z270 Gaming 9, Zotac GTX 560Ti AMP custom BIOS, 740 GT, 630, 210 w/ DVI port unsoldered (Hint: it can be done but it ain't easy). 

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Too bad Mayhem's isn't on LTT (don't think so anyways).  I'd be first in line to dumping money on a new fluid.  Really they just need to buy the top 5 CPU blocks and have fluid circulating through some 90 degree fittings at a few flow rates for months to make sure the particles don't eventually settle in to corners or get caught by microfins.  It wouldn't be the first "nano" fluid where the particles end up separating out over a few months.

True enough - Although I find Mayhems really does their RND well - I follow them a lot on OCN and have to say, they are very communicative with the community and go leaps and bounds (at least publicly) with results they find working with different products on theirs.

 

I'm hoping Luke comes across this - I know he's quite keen (Myself as well) on Graphene technology.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

 

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

 

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
17 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The problem i'm having with wanting to cite that is they mention nothing regarding using graphene - The only mention something regarding heat removal, which could have been from early Pastel / Aurora mixes. Since their partnership goes back a long way, it really could be referring to a lot of things as they even mention helping them with their soft tubing.

 

Further more since the product has not been released, I find it hard to believe CPI would post information publicly about what they are working on, until it has been released.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello All.

 

Yes we have been working with CPI for a very long time so the message starter on OCN is a little deceiving and ill correct that. We have worked with CPI in the past to make several coolants more stable and the knowledge we have gained from that is allowing us to produce a new coolant from the ground up. The new coolant is a Graphene based type product (cannot go into much detail about it).


What are its advantages so far  and why make it?

 

1) Its is Chemically inert to PH imbalances.

2) Uses a very limited amount of chemicals.

3) Possibly up to 20 to 30% better cooling than water alone (tested in lab environment not real world as of yet).

4) 1 nm thick (pastel is 40nm and aurora 40 to 100nm)

5) Completely new tech never been done before.

6) Uses tech that lubricates pumps and o-rings on the fly with out wetting them.

7) Will prolong the life of your equipment.

8) Should out last the life of your PC. (TBC)

9) Initially will cost a little more to start with but should come down in price as and if we do go into full production, 

 

Why do it ... why not :). 

 

Initially it will not be coloured as this effects its raw performance.

 

Mick

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm happy you stopped by Mick, thanks for giving out some more information - Looking forward to trying this out. Graphene is such an amazing material with so much potential - I'm always following energy related graphene news (Batteries, solar panels, etc), it never even occurred to me that it could be (In simple terms) "mixed" with water to aid in heat dissipation. It's really cool that you guys utilizing this new technology.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, DocShay said:

I'm happy you stopped by Mick, thanks for giving out some more information - Looking forward to trying this out. Graphene is such an amazing material with so much potential - I'm always following energy related graphene news (Batteries, solar panels, etc), it never even occurred to me that it could be (In simple terms) "mixed" with water to aid in heat dissipation. It's really cool that you guys utilizing this new technology.

You might want to quote what he said in the OP for people who don't read the entire thread.


Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

 

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah

13 hours ago, DocShay said:

I'm happy you stopped by Mick, thanks for giving out some more information - Looking forward to trying this out. Graphene is such an amazing material with so much potential - I'm always following energy related graphene news (Batteries, solar panels, etc), it never even occurred to me that it could be (In simple terms) "mixed" with water to aid in heat dissipation. It's really cool that you guys utilizing this new technology.

Its cannot just be mixed with water. What we are doing is removing atoms from the side of the graphine product and replacing them with some thing else. If we just mixed in water it would fall out instantly. If we use chemicals to suspend it, it would impede its performance. I cannot go into detail again about how we are doing it or what we are doing but its pretty amazing when you see it happening. One of the biggest problems is making sure its none conductive and this opened up a whole realm of issues! but again we have fixed that (in simple terms). This fluid could be used in direct electronics cooling in a closed loop system.... PC cooling is not the only sector we are aiming at with this new product.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, mayhems said:

Ah

Its cannot just be mixed with water. What we are doing is removing atoms from the side of the graphine product and replacing them with some thing else. If we just mixed in water it would fall out instantly. If we use chemicals to suspend it, it would impede its performance. I cannot go into detail again about how we are doing it or what we are doing but its pretty amazing when you see it happening. One of the biggest problems is making sure its none conductive and this opened up a whole realm of issues! but again we have fixed that (in simple terms). This fluid could be used in direct electronics cooling in a closed loop system.... PC cooling is not the only sector we are aiming at with this new product.

Thats really cool. So theoretically speaking - those "mineral oil" pc's - You could use this fluid?

 

Also in terms of other sectors - Could this be used as a "safe" way to extinguish electronics that were on fire? (Like for instance when Linus's server room goes up in flames ;) )

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, NLD1st said:

Sounds cool but I'm guessing it will be expensive compared to water lol. 

Yes but if this means i never or extremely rarely have to change the coolant than it might still be worth it in the long run.


I build my systems reasonably but if i could i would get this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Ashaira said:

Yes but if this means i never or extremely rarely have to change the coolant than it might still be worth it in the long run.

Hmm true but water is super cheap so we will see. Besides I think you should up date your signature with perhaps dual 1080ti's :P or quadros

Link to post
Share on other sites

It needs to be UV reactive and somewhat Translucent.

 

The whole "pastel" phase really needs to pass. It's gotten old and you might as well just use solid color tubing.

 

unpopular opinion is going to be unpopular


Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose. By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy, otherwise known as The Beast.

 

You just be careful. Computers have already beaten the Communists at chess. Next thing you know, they'll be beating humans.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

It needs to be UV reactive and somewhat Translucent.

 

The whole "pastel" phase really needs to pass. It's gotten old and you might as well just use solid color tubing.

 

unpopular opinion is going to be unpopular

Eh, you can't get the same colors in tubing as you can when you mix your own pastel color. Also if you want to change colors, you have to rebuild your loop. Not a fan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2017 at 8:11 AM, DocShay said:

Nano Graphene based non conductive coolant ever seen to date

what a load of crap!

Graphene is one of the most conductive form of Carbon, specifically because the form contains free electrons

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 hours ago, zMeul said:

what a load of crap!

Graphene is one of the most conductive form of Carbon, specifically because the form contains free electrons

It probably has something to do with...

 

Ah

Its cannot just be mixed with water. What we are doing is removing atoms from the side of the graphine product and replacing them with some thing else. If we just mixed in water it would fall out instantly. If we use chemicals to suspend it, it would impede its performance. I cannot go into detail again about how we are doing it or what we are doing but its pretty amazing when you see it happening. One of the biggest problems is making sure its none conductive and this opened up a whole realm of issues! but again we have fixed that (in simple terms). This fluid could be used in direct electronics cooling in a closed loop system.... PC cooling is not the only sector we are aiming at with this new product.

 

 

They have some sort of voodoo going on to make it work...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DocShay said:

Eh, you can't get the same colors in tubing as you can when you mix your own pastel color. Also if you want to change colors, you have to rebuild your loop. Not a fan.

You just paint the tubing and put them back in. If you end up just using metal tubing of some kind, you can actually just strip the paint (which will also clean and de-grease the entire surface for you as well) and then go to town.

 

Also worth pointing out that you can do amazing things with paint when it comes to mixing colors or overlays and whatnot. Pearlescent paint jobs, etc.

 

I just think it looks dumb to put that much effort into building something, and then put red, blue, yellow, or white pastel coolant in there. But of course aesthetics are subjective.


Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose. By now your name and particulars have been fed into every laptop, desktop, mainframe and supermarket scanner that collectively make up the global information conspiracy, otherwise known as The Beast.

 

You just be careful. Computers have already beaten the Communists at chess. Next thing you know, they'll be beating humans.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×