PC startup issues. HELP!

ermu

Good day guys. I hope someone can help me.

I have built a PC and it seems to work fine after using it for the first time but the next day I can't turn it on using the case switch. I played with the PSU switches and unplugged then plugged it from the main power line. It turned on but it turned off after a few minutes. Sometimes I'm able to use it for hours but after shutting it down, the same problem occurs the next time I use it. Basically, I just rely on playing with the switches and luck to see if I can use it for hours.

I made a thread about this issue months ago but haven't really resolved it because I was working away from my hometown for these past months. I just got home last weekend so I got the chance to try new things to troubleshoot this.

Here are the additional things that I already did to troubleshoot this. I unplugged the case POWER and RESET switches from the front panel and checked the continuity using a multimeter and they both work fine (pressing it creates a momentary contact). Next, I tried the screwdriver trick (shorting the power pins with a screwdriver) to start the motherboard but it won't boot. Then finally I checked the continuity of the power pins and found out that they are connected, I don't really know if it should really be that way but after I checked the pin outs of the motherboard it seems that one of the two power/reset pins is connected to ground so does that mean that the other pin is grounded? Is my motherboard already dead?

Thanks in advance for your response.

3 minutes ago, ermu said:

Good day guys. I hope someone can help me.

I have built a PC and it seems to work fine after using it for the first time but the next day I can't turn it on using the case switch. I played with the PSU switches and unplugged then plugged it from the main power line. It turned on but it turned off after a few minutes. Sometimes I'm able to use it for hours but after shutting it down, the same problem occurs the next time I use it. Basically, I just rely on playing with the switches and luck to see if I can use it for hours.

I made a thread about this issue months ago but haven't really resolved it because I was working away from my hometown for these past months. I just got home last weekend so I got the chance to try new things to troubleshoot this.

Here are the additional things that I already did to troubleshoot this. I unplugged the case POWER and RESET switches from the front panel and checked the continuity using a multimeter and they both work fine (pressing it creates a momentary contact). Next, I tried the screwdriver trick (shorting the power pins with a screwdriver) to start the motherboard but it won't boot. Then finally I checked the continuity of the power pins and found out that they are connected, I don't really know if it should really be that way but after I checked the pin outs of the motherboard it seems that one of the two power/reset pins is connected to ground so does that mean that the other pin is grounded? Is my motherboard already dead?

Thanks in advance for your response.

night theme fixed.

check your CPU temps (bios/windows) and your gpu temps, and if you feel adventerous feel the motherboard heatsinks and see if they're warm. the ones near the cpu should be warm/hot to touch and the ones near the bottom left should be warm aswell

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

night theme fixed.

check your CPU temps (bios/windows) and your gpu temps, and if you feel adventerous feel the motherboard heatsinks and see if they're warm. the ones near the cpu should be warm/hot to touch and the ones near the bottom left should be warm aswell

Actually I already checked that. CPU Temperatures seem to be stable when I'm able to use it for hours (~30-35C idle and ~50-60C when playing). Heatsinks are warm to touch as well.

Just now, ermu said:

Actually I already checked that. CPU Temperatures seem to be stable when I'm able to use it for hours (~30-35C idle and ~50-60C when playing). Heatsinks are warm to touch as well.

rma motherboard

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

as themctipers mentioned, sounds like it could be the motherboard.  Do you have a spare PSU laying around, though?  If you do, I would try plugging it in, or see if a friend has a spare you can borrow for that purpose.

Your psu might be shot. If you have an extra psu laying around swap it out and see if it still shuts down.