The ULTIMATE DIY Arcade Machine Guide

Gaming PC getting old? What if we told you that instead of trashing it, you could make it into a BALLER home arcade setup?

Buy the buttons and controls provided by Ultimarc: https://www.ultimarc.com/

Order the cabinet and mounting hardware provided by Northcoast Custom Arcades: https://www.mameroom.com/

Buy an arcade machine hit by a shrink ray:
Amazon: http://geni.us/GyEeFN
Newegg: http://geni.us/8H9O4

Buy the Raspberry Pi to go with it:
Amazon: http://geni.us/LWhWG
Newegg: http://geni.us/J55B7X

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

@floppy disk mayhem, here's the arcade cabinet. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

get a raspberry pi 2 or 3 if you want something cheap, you can easily build something like this under 100$( if you drop things like RGB). 

That's pretty cool, you should donate that to a local arcade game room. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Genuine question, is there any 100% legal emulation options? We regularly talk about having an arcade machine in the break out area at work, but always park the idea as it's illegal.

There, I finally know why @GabenJr was asking me months about about Guncon 2's and otherwise pimping me for my light gun knowledge.

I was like "YOU HAVE TO TELL ME WHAT LTT IS DOING WITH LIGHT GUNS" and he wouldn't say.  ...Okay, it kinda became obvious when the cab turned up on The WAN Show a few weeks ago, but still.

So why are the scripting needed?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

2 hours ago, Skeeter said:

Genuine question, is there any 100% legal emulation options? We regularly talk about having an arcade machine in the break out area at work, but always park the idea as it's illegal.

emulators are legal, roms of existing games(people do often make new and original roms for games) are a legal grey area in a lot of countries.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

50 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

So why are the scripting needed?

For game-based ServoStik restrictor changing and support for lighting the buttons on a per-game basis.

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

Man that is a fucking sweet project. Any reason you guys used such a powerful system though? A 2500k and a 4870 seems like some serious overkill. I remember when I built a system in 2006 with a $60 Athlon64x2 and used the GeForce 6150 graphics on my budget board that thing could easily play MAME in Linux.

58 minutes ago, CrazyByDefault said:

Could we get a more detailed description of how the software had to be configured?

This is LTT, you're lucky that they covered as much as they did.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Shout out to RetroArch's perplexingly bad input setup.

You know something is wrong when you can easily screw up your control of the software itself while trying to set up input for the games and you have to frequently re-install or delete settings files just to be able to navigate menus again.

A massively less sarcastic shout out for finding what looks like a great CRT unit.

Great, now even Linus is doing the stupid overly dramatic facial expression YouTube thumbnails :(

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

im going to be upgrading my dad's old I3 machine to a Ryzen 5 system here soon. I've been toying with the idea of using the leftovers for a mame cabinet.

22 hours ago, Skeeter said:

As mentioned earlier emulators are legal in the U.S, but downloading Roms of games you do not own is not legal at all.

Dumping roms from games you own, or downloading roms from the internet for games you already own is in a legal grey area.  

That being said there are a lot of unlicensed & home brew games that have been developed by independent developers that are legal.  

It would be nice to know where LTT got their 100% legal roms.

16 hours ago, ltguy said:

Great, now even Linus is doing the stupid overly dramatic facial expression YouTube thumbnails :(

Where have you been? This has been a foregone conclusion for a while now....

Does this mean that it's ok to talk about Emulators/roms/etc as long as we all put in the "100% LEGALLY OBTAINED" qualifier in the beginning like you guys did? Or is this going to go down the same road as your double standard towards Hackintoshes xD

37 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Where have you been? This has been a foregone conclusion for a while now....

Does this mean that it's ok to talk about Emulators/roms/etc as long as we all put in the "100% LEGALLY OBTAINED" qualifier in the beginning like you guys did? Or is this going to go down the same road as your double standard towards Hackintoshes xD

Same road :P

23 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Man that is a fucking sweet project. Any reason you guys used such a powerful system though? A 2500k and a 4870 seems like some serious overkill. I remember when I built a system in 2006 with a $60 Athlon64x2 and used the GeForce 6150 graphics on my budget board that thing could easily play MAME in Linux.

To show people who have a soon to be obsolete PC what they can do with it when they buy a new one.

3 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Same road :P

Touche sir....touche...

On 7/10/2017 at 1:11 PM, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

That's pretty cool, you should donate that to a local arcade game room. 

There are non local to World Domination HQ

Arcade rooms have long since gone, rent is too high. Computers in homes.

Is the one even still open on Cambie.

On 7/13/2017 at 8:42 PM, yathis said:

There are non local to World Domination HQ

Arcade rooms have long since gone, rent is too high. Computers in homes.

Is the one even still open on Cambie.

You sure about that?  Because this just opened a few weeks ago in Toronto.  Me and friends checked it out last Friday. :D

19942789_10213626489199709_8170130113832125888_o.thumb.jpg.7ed5dbab66192299ea2b08a3325b2ac5.jpg

Im on the other side of the universe brutha.

Movie Theaters have some arcades, but to be called a true "Arcade" I'd say that picture defines that.

How much are games now? Twoonies and Loonies