Ryzen 1700 will not overclock past 3.6 ghz

Go to solution Solved by done12many2,
9 minutes ago, Protongog said:

I finally did it, I have it stable at 3.8 ghz. I re- seated the cooler (which was fitted by some one else) and pulled all the power cables, then increased low line calibration and it seems to  have worked.

I will test 3.9 and 4.0 but i am happy at 3.8.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Congrats man.  

41 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

8 = RAM error is your RAM at 2133? (aka default). How many sticks are you using? You could have a faulty stick of RAM.

Try this too. But flashing the latest BIOS should have done this already.

I ran memtest all night with no issues. the ram is 2133 

1 minute ago, Protongog said:

I ran memtest all night with no issues. the ram is 2133 

Its potential that you have the worst 1700 I have ever seen. But I don't want to believe that yet as seeing things like 1.5GHz speeds is just wrong...

Is this a clean install of windows?

Load optimised defaults and stress test at stock. what speeds does your processor run at under load when you try that?

29 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Its potential that you have the worst 1700 I have ever seen. But I don't want to believe that yet as seeing things like 1.5GHz speeds is just wrong...

Is this a clean install of windows?

Load optimised defaults and stress test at stock. what speeds does your processor run at under load when you try that?

1 hour ago, tom_w141 said:

8 = RAM error is your RAM at 2133? (aka default). How many sticks are you using? You could have a faulty stick of RAM.

Try this too. But flashing the latest BIOS should have done this already.

it never goes above 3.2 ghz in prime 95 

prime95 test.PNG

I hope this info is

26 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Can you download HWinfo64 and run sensor only mode? CPU-Z is so basic I can't help much. HWinfo64 will show far more detail.

I hope this info helps.

Prime 95 at stock.CSV

2 minutes ago, Protongog said:

I hope this info is

I hope this info helps.

Prime 95 at stock.CSV

Look at Hwinfo again when doing cinebench single core mode. 1 of your cores should boost to 3.7 at stock. btw a screenshot of hwinfo64 showing your core speeds will do you don't need to export to spreadsheet xD 

Too lazy to read everything lol

1,55GHz is some sort of bug ... it's usually fixed after clearing CMOS or BIOS update.

Just for your info, my R7 1700 hit the wall at 3,8GHz.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

5 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Look at Hwinfo again when doing cinebench single core mode. 1 of your cores should boost to 3.7 at stock. btw a screenshot of hwinfo64 showing your core speeds will do you don't need to export to spreadsheet xD 

I cant see anything boosting to 3.7. i am at stock and running cine bench single core. If its helpful the stock single core score on cinebench was only 127 that seems low.

Single core.PNG

Tried a different install of windows 10 and single core in cinebench does shoe 3.7ghz on one core 

Edited by Protongog

36 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

I have tried a different windows 10 install and one core has boosted to 3.7 ghz 

5963645561f2e_singlecore.PNG.c285e7044df3ebbba77a95955534d018.PNG

20 minutes ago, Protongog said:

I have tried a different windows 10 install and one core has boosted to 3.7 ghz 

5963645561f2e_singlecore.PNG.c285e7044df3ebbba77a95955534d018.PNG

By different Install do you mean a clean install? Was the old install not a clean install?

Now that the CPU seems to be operating correctly at stock try overclocking again.

23 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

By different Install do you mean a clean install? Was the old install not a clean install?

Now that the CPU seems to be operating correctly at stock try overclocking again.

The original figures are from a fresh install the last one was the SSD from my 4790k build which, the 1700 is to replace it but I still have the old SSD. I will try an overclock on it. 

5 minutes ago, Protongog said:

last one was the SSD from my 4790k build

Wait so your issues were with a clean windows install but using an old one it works better? It should definitely be the other way around lol! A hardware change at this level should always follow up with a clean install.

Maybe try another clean install with everything at optimised defaults in the BIOS. Let windows update and do whatever it wants to do. Then reboot and try OC.

41 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Wait so your issues were with a clean windows install but using an old one it works better? It should definitely be the other way around lol! A hardware change at this level should always follow up with a clean install.

Maybe try another clean install with everything at optimised defaults in the BIOS. Let windows update and do whatever it wants to do. Then reboot and try OC.

I think i will have to. FYI the overclock at 3.7 on the old windows failed, it went back to 1.5 ghz. i will re install and report back,

Thanks for the help  

59637c19bc4ab_3.7onoldinstallwindows10.PNG.208e5bc1df62c3e2090614fc19f1a516.PNG

6 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

@done12many2 I know you aren't on AM4 but the issue seems p state related as when he OCs he can only set 3.6GHz but windows is showing 1.5. Got any advice on something that may be set wrong in windows?

I would think this is a Windows power savings issues considering that performance changes between two different copies of Windows.

With the fresh copy of Windows originally tested, I'd reset defaults and all profiles within Windows Power Options.  Then I'd set it to "High Performance" and retest.

Truthfully, reinstalling windows takes a few minutes so a fresh install as you've recommended is a great idea.  

There are several threads out there about different boards (read about MSI, AsRock, Asus and Gigabyte so far). All of them had issues when trying to oc and setting Vcore manually. For some it worked with it on auto, for others it just wouldn't work at all. 

It's weird since all the issues are similar but not quite the same. And op's 1700 DID work fine with an older Win10 system. So maybe it's a weird combination of buggy BIOS (or maybe even faulty boards/silicon) and some power saving settings in Win10?

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

I now have a motherboard q code 8 when I am at 3.6ghz it was working fine.

On 7/10/2017 at 11:52 AM, Simon771 said:

Too lazy to read everything lol

1,55GHz is some sort of bug ... it's usually fixed after clearing CMOS or BIOS update.

Just for your info, my R7 1700 hit the wall at 3,8GHz.

I finally did it, I have it stable at 3.8 ghz. I re- seated the cooler (which was fitted by some one else) and pulled all the power cables, then increased low line calibration and it seems to  have worked.

59656cad12cb2_3_8ghz.PNG.f8aade46da7801123c3ed692025195c4.PNG

9 minutes ago, Protongog said:

Congrats man.