Ryzen 1700 will not overclock past 3.6 ghz

Go to solution Solved by done12many2,
9 minutes ago, Protongog said:

I finally did it, I have it stable at 3.8 ghz. I re- seated the cooler (which was fitted by some one else) and pulled all the power cables, then increased low line calibration and it seems to  have worked.

I will test 3.9 and 4.0 but i am happy at 3.8.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Congrats man.  

Help please. I have followed every forum post and Youtube guide i can get my hands on and i just cant get this processor past 3.6 ghz. The moment i get above it seems to change its self to 1549.00 Mhz (please see picture). Its been two days and it has me up the wall. i have changed the core voltage hundreds of time, i have no heat problems at all it never goes above 41 degrees c 

P.S Not sure why the ram is reading 1066 Mhz

Asus Cross-hair VI

Corsair 2133 32Gb ram

H100i

Corsair 750w power supply  

980ti

3.7ghz.PNG

I don't know sh*t about overclocking, but maybe there's something wrong with the mobo, assuming you've already installed the latest updates and stuff. The voltage seems high for 3.6Ghz doesn't it? 

Ryzen is pretty cool I guess

6 minutes ago, Protongog said:

Help please. I have followed every forum post and Youtube guide i can get my hands on and i just cant get this processor past 3.6 ghz. The moment i get above it seems to change its self to 1549.00 Mhz (please see picture). Its been two days and it has me up the wall. i have changed the core voltage hundreds of time, i have no heat problems at all it never goes above 41 degrees c 

P.S Not sure why the ram is reading 1066 Mhz

Asus Cross-hair VI

Corsair 2133 32Gb ram

H100i

Corsair 750w power supply  

980ti

3.7ghz.PNG

RAM IS DOUBLE DATA RATE SO 1066X2 IS 2133 ish

ALSO ENABLE HIGH PERFORMANCE MODE

enable the 4ghz profile in the bios, it should work, it how ive oced my 1800x and my friends 1600x

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

The voltage shown was one of many high and low that i have tested 

6 minutes ago, lFaust said:

I don't know sh*t about overclocking, but maybe there's something wrong with the mobo, assuming you've already installed the latest updates and stuff. The voltage seems high for 3.6Ghz doesn't it? 

The voltage was one of many high and low that i have tested, that was just an example.

@Protongog

Put this on a USB stick and flash the latest BIOS http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-1403.zip?_ga=2.72862995.1224194098.1499673007-1221100323.1486467713

This should be on a clean install of windows yes? If no do a clean install.

Turn power profile in windows to "Ryzen Balanced" or "High performance".

Load optimised defaults in the BIOS.

Try 3.8 1st. I've never seen a 1700 not do 3.9 so 3.8 should be easy. Set multiplier to 38 and Vcore to manual mode 1.3V.

Report back.

6 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

RAM IS DOUBLE DATA RATE SO 1066X2 IS 2133 ish

ALSO ENABLE HIGH PERFORMANCE MODE

enable the 4ghz profile in the bios, it should work, it how ive oced my 1800x and my friends 1600x

I have tried the 4.0 ghz profile with no luck it just crashes

Just now, Protongog said:

I have tried the 4.0 ghz profile with no luck it just crashes

hjmm

load the 4ghz profile and lower the mulitplier 39, 38, 37, 36 till its stable

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Just now, KOMTechAndGaming said:

hjmm

He needs to do some previous steps before this. Based on his screenshot windows is misbehaving with the p states. 1.5GHz... I suggested lastest BIOS/Chipset Driver, load optimised defaults in the new bios and change windows power plan.

2 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

hjmm

In other news that BIOS I linked above is 1403 and is the stable release of AGESA 1006. It has helped some people I know on this forum get their RAM  up to their rated speeds (3000, 3200, 3600 etc) I can even exceed my rated speed on this BIOS. Currently at 3066 :P Just mentioning in case you are still having memory issues.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

In other news that BIOS I linked above is 1403 and is the stable release of AGESA 1006. It has helped some people I know on this forum get their RAM  up to their rated speeds (3000, 3200, 3600 etc) I can even exceed my rated speed on this BIOS. Currently at 3066 :P Just mentioning in case you are still having memory issues.

still stuck at 2666, but im still on the 1403 beta, going to flash the 1403 from the website

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

still stuck at 2666, but im still on the 1403 beta, going to flash the 1403 from the website

:/ Weird considering mine is a Hynix kit but has worked at its rated speed for ages... How many sticks are you using? 4? I think 4 is still limited to 2666.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

:/ Weird considering mine is a Hynix kit but has worked at its rated speed for ages... How many sticks are you using? 4? I think 4 is still limited to 2666.

4, with 2 i can get 2993

3 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

4, with 2 i can get 2993

Yeah that will be why. 2133 -> 2666 is where you see the largest % gain in performance anyway, diminishing returns kick in afterward. So if you want to use 4 sticks 2666 is plenty good enough.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Yeah that will be why. 2133 -> 2666 is where you see the largest % gain in performance anyway, diminishing returns kick in afterward. So if you want to use 4 sticks 2666 is plenty good enough.

yeah, i got a pretty good score in CB aswell, and as posibly the 4th highest 1080ti score in superposition on the ltt spreadsheet

its not stable, voltage up if you think the chip will handle it else you're as high as it can go. 

my 8350 does this when my vrms overheat :D 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I have loaded the default profile and i am no longer displaying the voltage in CPU-Z and my motherboard is posting a q code 24

stock.PNG

5 minutes ago, Protongog said:

I have loaded the default profile and i am no longer displaying the voltage in CPU-Z and my motherboard is posting a q code 24

stock.PNG

QCODE 24 Is normal

45 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

@Protongog

Put this on a USB stick and flash the latest BIOS http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO-ASUS-1403.zip?_ga=2.72862995.1224194098.1499673007-1221100323.1486467713

This should be on a clean install of windows yes? If no do a clean install.

Turn power profile in windows to "Ryzen Balanced" or "High performance".

Load optimised defaults in the BIOS.

Try 3.8 1st. I've never seen a 1700 not do 3.9 so 3.8 should be easy. Set multiplier to 38 and Vcore to manual mode 1.3V.

Report back.

i have completed all this but the pc fails to boot and a q code of 8 appears on the motherboard.

43 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

He needs to do some previous steps before this. Based on his screenshot windows is misbehaving with the p states. 1.5GHz... I suggested lastest BIOS/Chipset Driver, load optimised defaults in the new bios and change windows power plan.

All completed bios was updated yesterday. I have loaded the default profile

51 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

hjmm

I have been doing this for two days, the instability occurs if i ether increase voltage or processor speed above 3.6 ghz 

2 minutes ago, Protongog said:

I have been doing this for two days, the instability occurs if i ether increase voltage or processor speed above 3.6 ghz 

what happens if you clear cmos and leave it?

1 minute ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

what happens if you clear cmos and leave it?

Do you mean if i leave it at default clock. It always runs fine on default clock and manual up to 3.6 ghz however i have not tried to reset the bios, i will do this now.

17 minutes ago, Protongog said:

i have completed all this but the pc fails to boot and a q code of 8 appears on the motherboard.

8 = RAM error is your RAM at 2133? (aka default). How many sticks are you using? You could have a faulty stick of RAM.

5 minutes ago, Protongog said:

Do you mean if i leave it at default clock. It always runs fine on default clock and manual up to 3.6 ghz however i have not tried to reset the bios, i will do this now.

Try this too. But flashing the latest BIOS should have done this already.

15 minutes ago, Protongog said:

yes do not enable any profiles

i have done all of this now and still nothing past 3.6 ghz