Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kenji the Uke

Looking for a piece of equipment for cycling to measure Distance

Posted · Original PosterOP

Can anyone help me with this? :v I saw on a video of some cyclists having this bit on their handlebars that measure speed and distance and all that. Can anyone recommend anything? Bit of a budget. I think this is an alright place to post this. 

Moist

6 minutes ago, Kenji the Uke said:

Can anyone help me with this? :v I saw on a video of some cyclists having this bit on their handlebars that measure speed and distance and all that. Can anyone recommend anything? Bit of a budget. I think this is an alright place to post this. 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/166370

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Waterproof-Multifunction-Speedometer-Functional/dp/B01KJ4SNIC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1499658410&sr=8-5&keywords=bicycle+distance+computer

Something like that. Just make sure it has something that goes on the wheel to measure the distance. Have you considered seeing if there's an app for your phone? GPS is usually pretty accurate as well.

12 minutes ago, Reglare said:

That's not helpful at all.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Or just use Strava. It's free, it's basic, and doesn't require any additional equipment that might get stolen.

https://www.strava.com/

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.strava&hl=en

App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/strava-running-and-cycling-gps/id426826309?mt=8

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | Asus Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Mojave Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | 250GB WD SATA | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 7 Ultimate | Kali Linux

Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 (8.0) | iPad Mini (iOS 8.4) 

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Beat me to it. If you have a smartphone, STRAVA is pretty much all you need. 

X58 Madlads: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion     X99 bois: General X99 Xeon/i7 Discussion 

Current Rig: 

i7 5820K on a Heatkiller IV Pro Acetal
EVGA X99 Classified
32GB (4x8) 3200Mhz CL16 HyperX Predator DDR4
Radeon VII on an EK Acetal block and black EK backplate 
250GB 960 Evo, 1TB 970 Evo
Corsair RM1000i

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG, Grey
EK D5 pump/res combo, EK-ZMT tubing, EK stubby barb fittings, 360 and 120mm GTS stealth rads, 4x Noctua iPPC NF-F12s

Old Star Wars Games:  Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, LGA1366 Xeons, and X chipsets: @WhisperingKnickers.

6 minutes ago, yathis said:

Get wired, always get wired, ALWAYS!

Pros over wireless? And can you possibly recommend one? 

7 minutes ago, dizmo said:

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Waterproof-Multifunction-Speedometer-Functional/dp/B01KJ4SNIC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1499658410&sr=8-5&keywords=bicycle+distance+computer

Something like that. Just make sure it has something that goes on the wheel to measure the distance. Have you considered seeing if there's an app for your phone? GPS is usually pretty accurate as well.

That's not helpful at all.

9 minutes ago, Hippeminecraft said:

9 minutes ago, yathis said:

$15 is all you need buddy, not a $300 GPS thang

We aint all as rich as you you know.

Thank you guys for the recommendations! Thats really what I was hoping. x-x; All of that is perfectly within my budget! 

5 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Just get an app

6 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Beat me to it. If you have a smartphone, STRAVA is pretty much all you need. 

7 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Or just use Strava. It's free, it's basic, and doesn't require any additional equipment that might get stolen.

https://www.strava.com/

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.strava&hl=en

App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/strava-running-and-cycling-gps/id426826309?mt=8

Thank you guys for your input! I am downloading strava now

Moist

Just now, Kenji the Uke said:

Pros over wireless? And can you possibly recommend one? 

Thank you guys for the recommendations! Thats really what I was hoping. x-x; All of that is perfectly within my budget! 

Thank you guys for your input! I am downloading strava now

Strava is not going to be as accurate as the physical solutions others have recommended because it relies on the GPS of your phone (doesn't require Data for that). But the difference isn't much and for basic recording of average speed, distance, and logging your routes, it works. I've logged over 800km of just recreational biking with Strava.

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | Asus Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Mojave Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | 250GB WD SATA | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 7 Ultimate | Kali Linux

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Strava is not going to be as accurate as the physical solutions others have recommended because it relies on the GPS of your phone (doesn't require Data for that). But the difference isn't much and for basic recording of average speed, distance, and logging your routes, it works. I've logged over 800km of just recreational biking with Strava.

What if used in tandem with physical?

Moist

or you could make your own

strong magnet on wheel

sensor (hall effect) fixed on bike

every time magnet goes near the sensor you know a full rotation happened

you know distance per rotation, time between pulses tells you the speed.

1h arduino project

Just now, mariushm said:

or you could make your own

strong magnet on wheel

sensor (hall effect) fixed on bike

every time magnet goes near the sensor you know a full rotation happened

you know distance per rotation, time between pulses tells you the speed.

1h arduino project

:v... wat

Moist

Just now, Kenji the Uke said:

What if used in tandem with physical?

You can pair Strava with certain physical bike computers like some Garmin ones. The functionality it adds certainly isn't game changing for casual bikers except for maybe Beacon. Beacon basically allows close ones to know exactly where you are in real time. So if something goes wrong, they know where to find you.

1 minute ago, Kenji the Uke said:

Basically build your own bike computer that measures speed based on the rotation of your bicycle wheel as it spins.

5 minutes ago, Kenji the Uke said:

That's how the speedometers on bikes work. There's a little sensor you put in the front fork, and you attach a magnet to the wheel, so it passes in front of the sensor. Every time the sensor "sees" the magnet, it knows the wheel has done 1 revolution. With Arduino, you could make it insanely accurate, because you could account for the exact dimensions of your car/wheel. 

X58 Madlads: General X58 Xeon/i7 discussion     X99 bois: General X99 Xeon/i7 Discussion 

Current Rig: 

i7 5820K on a Heatkiller IV Pro Acetal
EVGA X99 Classified
32GB (4x8) 3200Mhz CL16 HyperX Predator DDR4
Radeon VII on an EK Acetal block and black EK backplate 
250GB 960 Evo, 1TB 970 Evo
Corsair RM1000i

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG, Grey
EK D5 pump/res combo, EK-ZMT tubing, EK stubby barb fittings, 360 and 120mm GTS stealth rads, 4x Noctua iPPC NF-F12s

Old Star Wars Games:  Anyone still playing old Star Wars games? 

Long live his RGBness, @Damascus! And Fractal Design/SeaSonic dude, @Ordinarily_Greater is awesome as well! Also the man who introduced me to the glorious XCMR, LGA1366 Xeons, and X chipsets: @WhisperingKnickers.