Can I repair this Nintendo DS Lite?

Okjoek
Go to solution Solved by minibois,

You need a triwing tip, it looks a bit like the Mercedes logo. It's really only used by Nintendo and sometimes Apple. There are different sized tips for triwing, but most of them fit the DS Lite.

But what the problem could be, is a lot of things. Could be just the video (do you have any sound in it?), could be the motherboard, etc. It can even be just a broken on/off switch

There is really almost no telling and buying a 2nd hand DS Lite or 3DS might be a cheaper alternative.

Okay so nothing happens when I try to turn it on, even when charging (which it can still do). Any idea what the problem may be? I'm not sure exactly how to get inside the thing either. None of the bits in my electronic repair screwdriver kit seem to fit.

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

Okay so nothing happens when I try to turn it on, even when charging (which it can still do). Any idea what the problem may be? I'm not sure exactly how to get inside the thing either. None of the bits in my electronic repair screwdriver kit seem to fit.

It would be cheaper just to buy another one one ebay

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

You need a triwing tip, it looks a bit like the Mercedes logo. It's really only used by Nintendo and sometimes Apple. There are different sized tips for triwing, but most of them fit the DS Lite.

But what the problem could be, is a lot of things. Could be just the video (do you have any sound in it?), could be the motherboard, etc. It can even be just a broken on/off switch

There is really almost no telling and buying a 2nd hand DS Lite or 3DS might be a cheaper alternative.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

2dsxl is really cheap right now.It's at 100 I belive

My life

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

Not really necessary. I have two other systems capable of running the DS titles as well as my GBA. I'm kinda interested in solving the mystery though as to why it won't work.

5 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Not really necessary. I have two other systems capable of running the DS titles as well as my GBA. I'm kinda interested in solving the mystery though as to why it won't work.

Then take it apart using a triwing screwdriver bit (you can buy them on eBay) and check the motherboard for obvious signs of burn marks. Or call Louis Rossmann. :) 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

13 minutes ago, Minibois said:

6 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Then take it apart using a triwing screwdriver bit (you can buy them on eBay) and check the motherboard for obvious signs of burn marks. Or call Louis Rossmann. :) 

Figures... My single Tri-wing bit is the wrong size.

I found that even sometimes if you have a small enough flat-head, you could fit that into the tri-wing and unscrew, but at a higher chance of stripping the head if you rush the job.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

6 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

What I have seen in the past work for some people, is when they put a thick rubber band over the screw and with that they can sometimes unscrew it..

But with the recessed screws of the DS Lite, you will likely be.. screwed.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

It's possible to get a small flathead screwdriver and attempt to get it between two of those wings, and turn. That's what I did on my DS lite :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

14 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

It's possible to get a small flathead screwdriver and attempt to get it between two of those wings, and turn. That's what I did on my DS lite :P

14 minutes ago, Minibois said:

What I have seen in the past work for some people, is when they put a thick rubber band over the screw and with that they can sometimes unscrew it..

20 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

I found that even sometimes if you have a small enough flat-head, you could fit that into the tri-wing and unscrew, but at a higher chance of stripping the head if you rush the job.

22 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

C'mon man get an ifixit kit!

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Just now, RGProductions said:

Cue Linus saying ifixit every 15 seconds until it's embedded in your head...

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

3 hours ago, Okjoek said:

3 hours ago, Hiitchy said:

3 hours ago, Minibois said:

3 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

That's what she / he said jokes inbound.

3 hours ago, RGProductions said:

Hmm... sounds a bit like Plan B.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

• 9 months later...

no but you can buy "dollar in the woods" on the google play store for .99 Moneysmaxresdefault.jpg.97d448f4913d91c4b2c9b224cd054f26.jpg

Y u revive dead thread? I don't even own that DS anymore.