CPU and CPU Cooler Question

Geekazoid

Hey guys,

Just got a bit of a question for you (or it may be several). Most CPU's, when you're intending to build a new PC, come with a standard cooler, right? But it's often recommended, whether you're intending to OC or not, to go for a 3rd party CPU cooler. But I'm starting to wonder if a 3rd part CPU cooler is even neccesary because my current 6+ year old PC uses a 775 socket Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 running @ 2.4GHz and uses the standard Intel CPU cooler and has been running fine for those 6+ years. So my question is:

Is it really neccesary to buy a 3rd party cooler considering that most CPUs today, I would imagine, would run a lot cooler than the Q6600 CPU that I have in my current system?

People on here tend to criticise anyone who goes for the standard stock CPU cooler because it's apparently "proper" to go with a 3rd part CPU cooler. But I think that, correct me if I'm wrong, that the standard stock CPU cooler should, in most cases, suffice.

What are your thoughts guys?

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

The stock cooler is designed to keep the CPU at 80 degrees. And due to it's small size, it can get loud during the summer or all year round if you live in topical regions. 

Although 80 degrees is perfectly fine, some may not be comfortable with that. If you want a quieter or cooler system, get a aftermarket cooler.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

u dont need one unless your overclocking or want your pc to be silent other than that it does the job

I think that if your not doing extensive overclocking, the stock CPU is great. But I just prefer an aftermarket cooler to overclock my CPU and make it looks more bad ass. You don't "need" a 3RD party cooler, but it's nice to have.

hey,

you can use the stock cooler, if you have no intention of overclocking. Generally speaking, using a third party cooler will improve lower temperatures and in most situations will also run quieter. Stock coolers are "that will do..." and I would recommend a third party heat sink just because they look better, more efficient and can run "silent" - a win win situation :D

Another aspect of having a third party cooler, also means later down the line (if you wished) you could overclock the CPU and you will have the heat sink capable to  do so  :D

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

Just to inform you guys, I will be using the Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 as my case which is built for silence as it uses several large pieces of sound-dampening material around the case.

If you're using a case optimised for silence, get a third party cooler that runs really quiet and enjoy the bliss of silence  :D

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

I see what you're saying guys but I would like to hear the difference in audible sound from an Intel standard CPU cooler vs an after market CPU cooler. This would help in my decision making.

If you're using a case optimised for silence, get a third party cooler that runs really quiet and enjoy the bliss of silence  :D

Elven

What CPU cooler do you use?

What CPU cooler do you use? 

I use the Corsair Pre-filled liquid cooler H100i.

Elven

Standard cooler is fine.

If you want to overclock, run cooler, quieter, then get an aftermarket. Also if in a hot environment, an aftermarket is probably recommended.

I see what you're saying guys but I would like to hear the difference in audible sound from an Intel standard CPU cooler vs an after market CPU cooler. This would help in my decision making.

sorry I don't have a sample but my friend has a PC with define r3, Asus gtx 560ti dcu, undervolted noctua fans and the Intel stock cooler. The stock cooler is very noticeably above all noise when it's under load. Not bothersome but still audible enough to annoy me if I were to get a silence case

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Okay

sorry I don't have a sample but my friend has a PC with define r3, Asus gtx 560ti dcu, undervolted noctua fans and the Intel stock cooler. The stock cooler is very noticeably above all noise when it's under load. Not bothersome but still audible enough to annoy me if I were to get a silence case

What?? You don't have a sample? This is unacceptable. I demand a sample NOW!

Hahaha...just kidding. Being stupid (as per usual). :)

Not every CPU come with stock cooler. There's option to buy then without one. With cooler are labelled as "BOX(ED)" and those without "TRAY". I've bought two cpus without stock cooler because I knew I was going to get aftermarket one anyway.

What temps are you getting with that stock on Q6600? My max with that cpu was around 60C. I had Noctuas NH-U9B with one fan.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If you don't intend to OC spend £25 and get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, if you are get a Corsair H100/80 i or a decent air cooler.

On another not I love the Q6600's, i've had 3.

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly
They go to the lake of fire and fry, Won't see them again 'till the fourth of July

Not every CPU come with stock cooler. There's option to buy then without one. With cooler are labelled as "BOX(ED)" and those without "TRAY". I've bought two cpus without stock cooler because I knew I was going to get aftermarket one anyway.

What temps are you getting with that stock on Q6600? My max with that cpu was around 60C. I had Noctuas NH-U9B with one fan.

Hmm, sorry mate, I wouldn't know without having some kind of software to tell me.

Hmm, sorry mate, I wouldn't know without having some kind of software to tell me.

Then you propably don't even need cooler. If it works and sound doesn't annoy you, there's nothing wrong with stock cooler. My brother even got some oc done with his i5 with stock.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv