Please Tell This Razer Tech Support Person that a Laptop Should Not Hit 100C Regardless of Task

Just now, Kx85 said:

I have a Razer Blade Stealth and it also runs at 100C under load. I personally don't think that is a problem. As other have said some CPUs are designed to safely run at those temps. That being said, the RBS (i7 6500U) quality control is not good. The CPU temp runs between 60 and 70 under light load. And yes I have opened the laptop to clean it but  it doesn't change anything. The laptop suffers from a lot of BSOD. The screws fall off by themselves. The charger is not well built. The first one I had died after 6 months and was constantly making a buzzing noise. They sent me a new one without asking for the old one back. The new one works better but sometimes if it is already plugged to the wall and I plug the laptop in it doesn't charge and I have to unplug it from the wall and plug it back in. It's a well-known problem that even Razer talks about on the support page. And sometimes when I touch the USB-C connector it stops charging and starts charging again but sometimes I have to unplug it and replug it for it to work. The battery life is also not very good. I usually get around 3 hours which is quite disappointing.

Since the laptop is out of warranty now, I have changed the thermal paste and the temps are a little bit better. I'm using a Noctua NT-H1.

I still like this laptop because it is lightweight and it works in general. But the problems I have had with it makes it that I am not buying a new device  from Razer in the near future and would not be recommending it to anyone. I hope they have fixed these issues with newer version and that other people got better units that mine. My laptop was one of the first they made since I had pre-ordered it. So hopefully things are better now. 

I literally have the exact same problems. Screws fall out, charger doesn't work, 100C under load, and 3-4 hours of battery life

2 hours ago, Kx85 said:

I have a Razer Blade Stealth and it also runs at 100C under load. I personally don't think that is a problem.

I disagree, at 100C you're at the TJUNCTION for the i7-6500U and that really isn't ideal. At a minimum you're going to be throttling like mad and in danger of emergency shut-offs, at worst you're damaging the chip if you run at that temperature for extended periods.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

13 hours ago, VinZie said:

Actually what came in my mind. This does happen but maybe a faulty sensor? I seen sensors that say the CPU is -2 Celsius.

Intel chips haven't had faulty sensors for a very long time. AMD is AMD and is almost guaranteed to have some program or other be incapable of reading the temps properly. But it isn't going to be a problem for his notebook. That's just Razer's shit cooling.

6 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

It's razer. They're not exactly known for their amazing customer service

I don't know what you're talking about, didn't you see this?

LOL.PNG

they have world-leading engineering and design! And now support! Enterprise-grade notebooks like Thinkpads and Precision Ms with next business day someone is at your home/workplace to FIX your problem, eat your heart out! Razer's so good they solve the issues on the phone in 35 minutes!

/s

3 hours ago, Kx85 said:

I have a Razer Blade Stealth and it also runs at 100C under load. I personally don't think that is a problem.

Since the laptop is out of warranty now, I have changed the thermal paste and the temps are a little bit better. I'm using a Noctua NT-H1.

I still like this laptop because it is lightweight and it works in general. But the problems I have had with it makes it that I am not buying a new device  from Razer in the near future and would not be recommending it to anyone. I hope they have fixed these issues with newer version and that other people got better units that mine. My laptop was one of the first they made since I had pre-ordered it. So hopefully things are better now. 

You should. That will rapidly hurt the life of the system, and Razer's cooling subsystem might as well not exist. The whole laptop is likely to die many years before it would have if Razer was not the creator. Thermal limits is not something any computer should be operating at out of the box, especially with, and let me stress this, LIGHT loads such as playing counter-strike. Thermal limits should be near synthetic tests designed to brutalize a CPU, such as prime95, or seriously heavy loads such as gaming + livestreaming using heavy-compression CPU-based encoding, or H.264/H.265-based video rendering, etc. Anything else and your OEM has produced shit. I implore people to not accept "shit" as a product they should keep and/or use. A reminder, that this is a 15W CPU, which includes the power the iGPU uses.

You should try Gelid GC Extreme, or if your contact is particularly flat, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

I don't understand you. You basically described a completely broken laptop above, but you stuck with it instead of finding an alternative, yet just calmly say you won't buy another in the near future. I'd be a lot more livid if my stuff didn't work properly out the box and there was no known way to fix it.

29 minutes ago, Amaranth said:

I disagree, at 100C you're at the TJUNCTION for the i7-6500U and that really isn't ideal. At a minimum you're going to be throttling like mad and in danger of emergency shut-offs, at worst you're damaging the chip if you run at that temperature for extended periods.

Correct, that "extended periods" bit is the important part. 

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

4 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

they have world-leading engineering and design! And now support! Enterprise-grade notebooks like Thinkpads and Precision Ms with next business day someone is at your home/workplace to FIX your problem, eat your heart out! Razer's so good they solve the issues on the phone in 35 minutes!

/s

holy shit, time to go out and buy me a new Razer everything They even got Min-Liang Tan to publicly state how good they are, he wouldn't lie to us. he clearly knows whats best for his company and definitely hasn't been known to cover up stuff in the past.

/s

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

On 10.7.2017 at 4:15 AM, Kx85 said:

runs at 100C under load.

The screws fall off by themselves.

One cannot help but to think that these two go hand in hand, thermal stress is a b****.

5 hours ago, AerobicOrganism said:

stress

That's not even the worse thing. If you close ur lid while it's still too hot, aluminum carries the heat well and discoloration the screen. Been a problem since the first blade 14.

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

100C wont damage the chip, but you will damage the surrounding components.

The silicon for CPUs and GPUs nowadays will work fine at 100C, thermal shutdown prevents any damage. Running at 100C for long however will damage other components as other electronic components are designed to run up to 85C at most.

Ofcourse with many components even the processors themselves, the lower the temperature the better. Only electrolytic caps work best around 60C but they heat themselves up regardless and are usually only used in PSUs and not in computing devices.

With processors, the higher the temperature the higher the power draw needed to operate at the same clocks and it'd end up needing more voltage too.

2 hours ago, System Error Message said:

100C wont damage the chip

No, this is incorrect.

Please review processor and graphics card fact sheets before posting information that could result in people damaging their equipment.

For example the maximum safe temperature for a GTX 1060 is around 92c. True, this is likely dictated by the VRAM and not the silicon itself but it is irresponsible to state that someone could run components at 100c and not risk their system.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

IT'S A FUCKING LAPTOP, IT'S SUPPOSED TO RUN AT 100*C ON FULL LOAD

and it's a thin laptop to add to that

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

IT'S A FUCKING LAPTOP, IT'S SUPPOSED TO RUN AT 100*C ON FULL LOAD

and it's a thin laptop to add to that

I hope you're joking?

Because I'm fairly sure that no laptops are *supposed* to run at 100c given the T-Max of the chips used.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

snip

Can't tell if /s or just /stupid 

/s

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

1 hour ago, Pendragon said:

Can't tell if /s or just /stupid 

/s

oh, you just wait for the Max-Q designed stuff from novideo

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

4 hours ago, Amaranth said:

No, this is incorrect.

Please review processor and graphics card fact sheets before posting information that could result in people damaging their equipment.

For example the maximum safe temperature for a GTX 1060 is around 92c. True, this is likely dictated by the VRAM and not the silicon itself but it is irresponsible to state that someone could run components at 100c and not risk their system.

I was talking about the silicon, and that the other components having 85C maximum. I actually do some EEE and i know the most common rated temperature limits are 65C and 85C.

• 2 weeks later...

Just undervolt.

Edited by TheRandomness
Please, no need to be so unnecessarily violent.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ (Undervolted -0.150mv)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

RAM: 16GB DDR4

MOBO: Alienware 17 R4

Storage (Boot): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB (M.2 NVME)

Storage (Games): Samsung 850 EVO 1TB (SATA III)

Storage (Backups): Sandisk X400 128GB (M.2 SATA)

Display: HP Omen 25” 144Hz 1080p

5 hours ago, ClaudioBravo said:

Just undervolt.

Those temps are with undervting

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Those temps are with undervting

I swear on my life, you could run that dual core without the heatsink on a lower temperature

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ (Undervolted -0.150mv)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

RAM: 16GB DDR4

MOBO: Alienware 17 R4

Storage (Boot): Samsung 960 EVO 250GB (M.2 NVME)

Storage (Games): Samsung 850 EVO 1TB (SATA III)

Storage (Backups): Sandisk X400 128GB (M.2 SATA)

Display: HP Omen 25” 144Hz 1080p

1 hour ago, ClaudioBravo said:

I swear on my life, you could run that dual core without the heatsink on a lower temperature

Well unfortunately you are wrong