1080 giving me horrible performance in my new custom rig

Hi, I built my new pc on thursday. Given the nature of the market, i decided to go with an evga 1080. Based on research and benchmark reviews, i decided this card would be plenty for what i wanted, which was mainly Overwatch at 144fps @ 2160p. My friend said this was easy to achieve based on his 1080s performance. When i first loaded up overwatch, i got 40-55 fps on medium settings, even at 1080p. So, i went through the basic troublshooting process. ddu then reinstall drivers, afterburner to make sure the card was in use(it was), giving games max performance in nvidia control panel, the full scope. Finally, Last night I performed a clean install of windows, and only had my drivers, chrome, and a copy of overwatch on the computer. same result. I should also mention i have tried PLAYER UNKNOWN's BATTLEGROUNDS and i get around 10-15 fps. In my friend's tower,the card works beautifully. He has an i7-4790 cpu and a MSI Z97 Gaming 7 mobo. At this point, I'm not sure how it could be a software issue, but when i look at my hardware, everything should be fine! Here is my build:

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, 8GB of VRAM, no overclock

CPU: i5 6500 no overclock

Motherboard: Asus strix RGB H170

RAM: 2x8gb Gskill Trident 2133 Mhz

PSU: Corsair CX 750

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 build Clean install home edition 64bit

GPU Drivers: Geforce Game Ready Driver version 384.76

My 3dMark firestrike results: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/20938391

I am out of ideas on what could be wrong. I tried a new i5-7600 in my rig just in case i had a bad chip, but the problem persisted.

Anyone who had a similar problem or knows of a fix ive been working at this for 3 days straight and no one has been able to give me the right answer. One thing is that i've npticed the GPU gets VERY hot under load. Obviously that typical in any scenario, but it seems almost burning hot, which i dont belive is normal. I have 2 case plus the gpu fans themselves which i thought would be enough.

Any help is appreciated

How hot is very hot and do you have evga oc precision installed 

Have you tried another power supply 

Just now, Colin Donoghue said:

How hot is very hot and do you have evga oc precision installed 

Have you tried another power supply 

I don't have a tool for measuring the temps, is there a way i can measure with software?

I dont have evga oc precision installed, should I?

I have tried a different power supply but only for booting up, not with gaming. It was a corsair rm750i. Do you really think it could be the power supply? the card did come with a 12-8 pin adapter, but i thought i didnt need that.

Grab GPUz, run it, get a screenshot and post it please.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Grab GPUz, run it, get a screenshot and post it please.

Capture.PNG

How high does your cpu clock go ? That Physics Score of 1641 is extremely low. might be your cpu ... all though you did test another one

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question but dother you have your monitor plugged into your gpu and not your motherboard? Because it almost seems like you are running off of the integrated gpu that's apart of the cpu.

2 minutes ago, Premchand said:

How high does your cpu clock go ? That Physics Score of 1641 is extremely low. might be your cpu ... all though you did test another one

My thoughts exactly, plus GPUz shows no PhysX support.

OP could you grab CPUz and post another screenshot pls.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

I know this is going to sound like a stupid question but dother you have your monitor plugged into your gpu and not your motherboard? Because it almost seems like you are running off of the integrated gpu that's apart of the cpu.

No, it isnt plugged in to the motherboard lol. I know, it almost seems like its running off dedicated graphics. The weird thing is in overwatch i get like 130fps in the title screen and then it immeditaely drops down into 30s-50s when i go into a game

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

on it

Just now, griffin1680 said:

No, it isnt plugged in to the motherboard lol. I know, it almost seems like its running off dedicated graphics. The weird thing is in overwatch i get like 130fps in the title screen and then it immeditaely drops down into 30s-50s when i go into a game

How hot is it getting, you can check by running HWMonitor under load.

Also what PSU are you using? If it's lower spec then it might not be giving the 1080 enough power.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Capturecpu.PNG

Download HWmonitor and see what the max boost clock is during a benchmark. Maybe it is stuck at 800mhz ?

2 minutes ago, griffin1680 said:

Capturecpu.PNG

Hmmm, nothing wrong there either.

As suggested above, grab HWMonitor or Afterburner and re run Firestrike, when its done check what the max reported temps and clocks are.

8 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

How hot is it getting, you can check by running HWMonitor under load.

Also what PSU are you using? If it's lower spec then it might not be giving the 1080 enough power.

I dragged a fan in front of the case so the temps are better now. HWmonitor is attached. My power supply is a cx 750 from corsair. fairly old, about 6 months of just sitting on a shelf. 

Capturehwmonitor.PNG

This was after a game of overwatch

We need to attempt to single out the source of the problem in the pc, and that firestrike score combined with the card working in your friends pc tends to indicate that your graphics card works fine but is being held back by something else.

Some runs in a few gpu and cpu benchmarks/stress tests with temperature and clock speed reporting would be the next best step.

HWMonitor would be an excellent first step to give us both CPU and GPU temp and clockspeed readouts under stress

Download Here

a Free GPU benchmark like Ungine Valley found Here

a Free CPU stress tester like ROG Real Bench found Here

run these programs individually with HWMonitor open and reporting and take some screenshots immediately after finishing each, then reset the HWmonitor values and run the next.

1 minute ago, griffin1680 said:

I dragged a fan in front of the case so the temps are better now. HWmonitor is attached. My power supply is a cx 750 from corsair. fairly old, about 6 months of just sitting on a shelf.

How hot does it get under load though, as in while you're gaming.

Also what is the GPU utilization while gaming?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

1 minute ago, griffin1680 said:

Capturehwmonitor.PNG

Woah hang on, CPU 0, 2, 4 & 6? That isn't right. It also seems your CPU is stuck @ 800Mhz even at full load.

3 minutes ago, griffin1680 said:

Definately Not your GPU causing a problem

It's temperatures are fine (max of 40C, the fans arent even kicking on)

and its maximum utilization is only 60%

Please take another screenshot of the CPU numbers, I'm seeing a max cpu speed of 800Mhz poking out from the top there

2 minutes ago, griffin1680 said:

Capturehwmonitor.PNG

This was after a game of overwatch

looking at the top the max clock was 800mhz that is your problem

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

How hot does it get under load though, as in while you're gaming.

Also what is the GPU utilization while gaming?

this screenshot was from after overwatch gaming: 

I am going to run hwmonitor during a firestrike benchmark now

Capturehwmonitor.PNG

2 minutes ago, Maxxtraxx said:

Definately Not your GPU causing a problem

It's temperatures are fine (max of 40C, the fans arent even kicking on)

and its maximum utilization is only 60%

Please take another screenshot of the CPU numbers, I'm seeing a max cpu speed of 800Mhz poking out from the top there

Capturehwcpu.PNG

this screenshot was from after overwatch gaming: 

I am going to run hwmonitor during a firestrike benchmark now

Okay do that.

Was HWMonitor open while you were gaming in overwatch or did you open it after? Because if it was open during overwatch it seems like it wasn't fully utilizing your GPU.

✨PC Specs✨

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

Okay do that.

Was HWMonitor open while you were gaming in overwatch or did you open it after? Because if it was open during overwatch it seems like it wasn't fully utilizing your GPU.

yes it was open while in ow

You've got a CPU problem, It's only hitting 800Mhz of it's total 3.2 Ghz maximum