Longevity of the AM4 socket.

Hello people,

I'm going to be asking two questions about the AM4 socket:

1. Did AMD say they will be using the AM4 socket for many generations of CPUs? So, I have this notion floating around in my head that answer to the question was yes. However, I've been prone to being wrong or missing some small detail that adds a "but..." after the "yes".
  2. If the above is true, is this statement still true? I haven't been keeping track of things on the AM4 socket and things may of changed over the period starting from the announcement of the above statement (if it was made) to now. I just wan't to make sure that AMD hasn't backed off that statement. That being said, I'm not going to shutdown the idea that AMD might back off on the statement in the future but I believe it would be unlikely that it would be soon because I think AMD is basking in the glory of their boosted sales.

I could probably do the research myself but it's easier to ask someone else.

Much gratitude.

Update: Apologies, question 2 makes no sense. If it was unclear, what I'm trying to say is: Has AMD changed their mind on the above statement? For those that I have commented before this update, there is no need to re-comment.

Edited by Melonize
Question 2 made no sense.
  • Intel Core i5-6400
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (Nightmare to install).
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-HD3
  • 2x8GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black
  • 6GB MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Armor
  • 2x250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
  • Some cheap Seagate HDD
  • A cheaper WD HDD
  • 650W Corsair RM650X (only for show. My PC is powered by a room full of hamsters in hamster wheels.)

I guess they are making things simple all the time because so far they only got AM and FM (for APU) naming to 4 and 3, they have to be different than intel because intel is being complicated

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

If you look on all the AM4 motherboards, you can see that they all have video outputs despite no Ryzen CPU having integrated graphics, which indicates that yes, there are going to be more CPUs that will be on that same socket.

i believe AMD is wanting to make use of AM4 for the next few iterations of CPUs, but from what i heard, it sounds more like what FM2+ has been the past 4-5 years than what for example socket 775 has been for intel (socket 775 having its specific downsides as well offcourse, pairing compatible boards and cpus is a mess)