Is 82 degrees Safe for Ryzen 7 1700?

Go to solution Solved by He_162,
21 hours ago, Mohak Arora said:

Hey guys, Thanks for answering my previous question. It's best to operate at stock. Now I have another query, Is it normal to see CPU Temp of about 75 C at stock (on full aida64 stress)?

If you are using the stock paste, and your ambient room temperature is 69 - 70 degrees Fahrenheit, then no. It should max at 65 - 66C with the Wraith Spire cooler, however, if your room is hot and you are seeing 75C, not much can be helped, at stock settings it's safe up to around 83C (based on when electro-migration happens) I'm not going to go in-depth with it here, but basically the heat can stretch the silicon in the CPU and damage the CPU DIE (the cores) by creating pockets that expand in the silicon due to the heat over time.

That happens on the stock settings at around 83C on full load (At 1.4v+ it can happen after extended use at 65C, and at 1.5v it can happen as low as 57 - 60C, although 1.5v has the potential to damage your CPU DIE outright, let alone on load, or at high temps.)

So generally you want your CPU below 60C, and below 1.3625v or so, it boosts higher than that for short periods of time to allow one core to boost higher than the rest, and that's fine, but running it like that 24/7 across all cores under load is dangerous, and will lessen the life of your processor.

If you want it to last a while, leave it at stock and run it as intended, the more expensive processors aren't just expensive to soak in money, they are hand picked from the bunch and tested, and very few meet the standards for running at those speeds at such low voltages, all Ryzen 7 1800x chips won the silicon lottery, and were lucky to do so, and since they don't have a humongous stock of silicon lottery winning chips, they sell them at a higher price to prevent from selling out of those chips all the time.

That being said, you seem to have a decent chip, but it's still lessening the life, or outright threatening it's lifespan if you run it at anything higher than stock, to keep it cooler, do the following:

Reapply a better thermal paste to the CPU.
Keep room temperature at or below 26C (for best performance keep it around 21C (69F)
Turn off "AMD Cool N' Quiet"
Set a custom fan curve to go to 100% fan usage at 63C, and 90% at 60C, etc, steep curve, but don't go below 60% fan usage at 40C, etc. Find a setup that works for you.

I know this is a lot of information, but it's a good read, and it will help you greatly, don't skip anything.

56 minutes ago, He_162 said:

I didn't go into it very deeply, I know the OP is new to this, but I was just referencing the fact that higher temperatures and voltages will increase the speed at which Electro-migration happens, occurs, and how fast it will end your processors life, but the thermal stress of heat is not so much a worry on these chips as it is some others due to the solder.

With solder on top of the CPU, you'll see it suffer sooner from electro-migration than with paste, but again, I was simply making it simple for the OP to understand this:

Higher voltage = higher temps, higher voltage also = higher chance of electro-migration at lower temperatues, and electro-migration isn't caused by the temps, it is however accelerated by higher temperatures, hence my referencing that.

I shouldn't have said per say "It starts at 83C" or something like that, but that's where it really kicks in hard on my chip (the one I broke) after testing at several temperatures below that, it finally killed itself slowly, but I understand why you'd come by and explain this.

*Just trying to keep things simply for the OP, but a more in depth explanation is alright by me, if you'd like to explain to him when and how it works, and how to prevent it (should he want to know) then that's fine, and yes before you reply again, I understand it happens 24/7 but at less of a rate than when it's overclocked, or seeing higher than recommended voltages, etc.

It's cool, was just puzzled by what was at first glance the initial point of the post. I just understood a very clear connection between heat and electromigration(a discreet phenomenon) from what I read. Therefore someone who doesn't know may feel the same way, and perpetuate the idea. Keeping it to "maintain low temps for longevity" for simplicity is totally cool. High temps beyond a point would definitely cause damage, but again, as I've understood and read, by way of semiconductors becoming conductive when they shouldn't be, shedding electrons and damaging circuits. Which again, as I understand is a different mechanism and is differentiated from electromigration.

I'm really not trying to lecture anyone, heat kills, was just the semantics that puzzled me a bit, seeing that you took time and effort to provide information.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

2 hours ago, He_162 said:

I didn't go into it very deeply, I know the OP is new to this, but I was just referencing the fact that higher temperatures and voltages will increase the speed at which Electro-migration happens, occurs, and how fast it will end your processors life, but the thermal stress of heat is not so much a worry on these chips as it is some others due to the solder.

With solder on top of the CPU, you'll see it suffer sooner from electro-migration than with paste, but again, I was simply making it simple for the OP to understand this:

Higher voltage = higher temps, higher voltage also = higher chance of electro-migration at lower temperatues, and electro-migration isn't caused by the temps, it is however accelerated by higher temperatures, hence my referencing that.

I shouldn't have said per say "It starts at 83C" or something like that, but that's where it really kicks in hard on my chip (the one I broke) after testing at several temperatures below that, it finally killed itself slowly, but I understand why you'd come by and explain this.

*Just trying to keep things simply for the OP, but a more in depth explanation is alright by me, if you'd like to explain to him when and how it works, and how to prevent it (should he want to know) then that's fine, and yes before you reply again, I understand it happens 24/7 but at less of a rate than when it's overclocked, or seeing higher than recommended voltages, etc.

Yes you are right, the reasoning is also very important. And i gave it an attentive read, but right now I wanna focus on ensuring that I am not using a faulty component in my system. I like the way how overclockers like you guys conduct tests.By OCing not only performance is increased but in a way component is also tested & that too at its limits that is why I wanted a baseline number for temperature instead of going into too much depth.

8 hours ago, Mohak Arora said:

Yes you are right, the reasoning is also very important. And i gave it an attentive read, but right now I wanna focus on ensuring that I am not using a faulty component in my system. I like the way how overclockers like you guys conduct tests.By OCing not only performance is increased but in a way component is also tested & that too at its limits that is why I wanted a baseline number for temperature instead of going into too much depth.

My recommendation for Ryzen for various voltages: (full load is a 24 hour Prime-95 stress test)

1.3 or less : 65C max temp *for longevity or 75C for 2 - 3 years use (only under full load)

1.3 - 1.4v : 60C max temp *for longevity, or 65C for 2 - 3 years of use (full load around 70C)

1.45v+     : 60C max temp *for longevity, or 60C for 2 - 3 years of use (full load around 65C)

Don't go above 1.425v though, it's gonna kill it eventually and if your chip can't max out at that voltage, it's probably it's max speed before it hits the "voltage wall".

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

8 hours ago, He_162 said:

My recommendation for Ryzen for various voltages: (full load is a 24 hour Prime-95 stress test)

1.3 or less : 65C max temp *for longevity or 75C for 2 - 3 years use (only under full load)

1.3 - 1.4v : 60C max temp *for longevity, or 65C for 2 - 3 years of use (full load around 70C)

1.45v+     : 60C max temp *for longevity, or 60C for 2 - 3 years of use (full load around 65C)

Don't go above 1.425v though, it's gonna kill it eventually and if your chip can't max out at that voltage, it's probably it's max speed before it hits the "voltage wall".

Thanks a lot, once again. Another thing, can we somehow get an an equivalent of Prime-95 in Aida64? i.e. What are the settings to do the same in Aida64?

13 hours ago, Mohak Arora said:

Thanks a lot, once again. Another thing, can we somehow get an an equivalent of Prime-95 in Aida64? i.e. What are the settings to do the same in Aida64?

I don't own it, but I'm sure someone can help you if you ask around. I'm sure some of the better overclockers would know.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

On 7/7/2017 at 8:31 PM, He_162 said:

WOAH. This is not okay, I've already killed a Ryzen CPU using 1.4v Vcore, and letting it sit at 79C (max temp) during a 24 hour stress test. Eventually, it will kill itself.

You sure that wasn't over terrible VRM? B350 boards can't handle high voltage as it makes the VRM go above 80C and if the VRM blows so does the CPU. 

Amd's max temp for these CPU's is 95C and then it will throttle itself down. 

58 minutes ago, jdwii said:

You sure that wasn't over terrible VRM? B350 boards can't handle high voltage as it makes the VRM go above 80C and if the VRM blows so does the CPU. 

Amd's max temp for these CPU's is 95C and then it will throttle itself down. 

VRM temps when the CPU died was 42C.

Maximum temp does not equate to safe temps, 95C will kill a CPU, it throttles down to prevent itself from out-right dying. Still harmful.

B350 boards have gotten a bad reputation from inexperienced youtubers, who don't understand that the "heatsinks" on those boards don't actually do anything, I removed mine, got an actual heatsink, and a small fan from an old AMD K6-2 chip, and put it on the heatsink to keep it under wraps, and that was perfectly fine for my board.

Granted, the power delivery was less stable than on a X370 chipset motherboard, it was still more than plenty for my purposes, and I am almost certain that no X370 board will allow me to clock my CPU higher because of it, but rather that the X370 boards will allow you more options like base clock multiplier, and a few other things that will allow you to tweak your CPU until it is more stable at a higher speed, but I bet it will only be within 0,0125v of what you can get it stable at on a B350 board (the b350 boards needing 0.0125v more to keep it stable) and that's only if you have a crappy PSU as well (bronze or worse 80+ rated).

That being said, I have sent in the CPU and AMD has confirmed that it was indeed electro-migration that caused it to die, so I was right. They have also said I no longer am covered under warranty, which I expected, so don't go blowing your chips the same way.

2 hours ago, He_162 said:

VRM temps when the CPU died was 42C.

Maximum temp does not equate to safe temps, 95C will kill a CPU, it throttles down to prevent itself from out-right dying. Still harmful.

B350 boards have gotten a bad reputation from inexperienced youtubers, who don't understand that the "heatsinks" on those boards don't actually do anything, I removed mine, got an actual heatsink, and a small fan from an old AMD K6-2 chip, and put it on the heatsink to keep it under wraps, and that was perfectly fine for my board.

Granted, the power delivery was less stable than on a X370 chipset motherboard, it was still more than plenty for my purposes, and I am almost certain that no X370 board will allow me to clock my CPU higher because of it, but rather that the X370 boards will allow you more options like base clock multiplier, and a few other things that will allow you to tweak your CPU until it is more stable at a higher speed, but I bet it will only be within 0,0125v of what you can get it stable at on a B350 board (the b350 boards needing 0.0125v more to keep it stable) and that's only if you have a crappy PSU as well (bronze or worse 80+ rated).

That being said, I have sent in the CPU and AMD has confirmed that it was indeed electro-migration that caused it to die, so I was right. They have also said I no longer am covered under warranty, which I expected, so don't go blowing your chips the same way.

That is quite amazing that you got those VRM temps on that board almost unbelievable but i'll take your word on it key note my board's heat-sink gets very hot and i have the stock fan from the wraith cooler over the heat-sink. 

Still see 68-72C max load on VRM(1.2V 3.6Ghz) without the fan we are talking much higher. 

On the overclock.net thread no one has B350 boards running that cool even with fans over the heat-sink. 4 phase VRM solution simply isn't enough to handle 8 core at 1.4V unless someone does something adventurous to their board. 

Interesting that these CPU's can't handle excessive heat as Haswell ran MUCH hotter then this CPU hell i was at 80C with a 30$ 212+ at stock settings with my old 4790K still works today.

Some good info basically 4 core ryzen CPU's the VRM on these boards are fine 6 core should be fine at 1.3V and the 8 core at 1.2V max. 

Unless of course someone fixes the heat issue. Gigabyte B350 boards seem to be the worst i read threads that had 100C at stock settings. 

10 hours ago, jdwii said:

That is quite amazing that you got those VRM temps on that board almost unbelievable but i'll take your word on it key note my board's heat-sink gets very hot and i have the stock fan from the wraith cooler over the heat-sink. 

Still see 68-72C max load on VRM(1.2V 3.6Ghz) without the fan we are talking much higher. 

On the overclock.net thread no one has B350 boards running that cool even with fans over the heat-sink. 4 phase VRM solution simply isn't enough to handle 8 core at 1.4V unless someone does something adventurous to their board. 

Interesting that these CPU's can't handle excessive heat as Haswell ran MUCH hotter then this CPU hell i was at 80C with a 30$ 212+ at stock settings with my old 4790K still works today.

Some good info basically 4 core ryzen CPU's the VRM on these boards are fine 6 core should be fine at 1.3V and the 8 core at 1.2V max. 

Unless of course someone fixes the heat issue. Gigabyte B350 boards seem to be the worst i read threads that had 100C at stock settings. 

Just get a decent heatsink on your board, and it should be golden dude, the heatsinks are not that hard to cool, just apply some quality TIM, and a good heatsink, and have some airflow over it. Seems like a lot of exaggeration on those boards to me.

Keep in mind I am not using the gaming pro, and I do not suggest you use it, it's a terrible motherboard, I am using the B350m mortar, and I also am going to be ordering a X370 board soon to test on there, we will see how that goes.

The gaming pro motherboard has no heatsink, that thing over the VRM's is for looks only, and it hinders your cooling of the VRM by a fair amount.

Oh, and yeah, it is a 3 phase design, I have a 4+2 design on my board, which is a lot better, obviously, but You can expect the 3 phase to work for some basic over clocking on the 4 cores, I.E. Ryzen 5 1500x or anything below that on the spectrum, perhaps a 3.7ghz overclock at 1.25v if it's possible.

-PS. I checked my temps on full load 3.8ghz, 4.25v, and I was getting 55C on the VRM, which isn't bad still, but higher than I was expecting after a 24 hour load test (second system undergoing one right now, on hour 19.)
That's the stock VRM, too, which means it's doing pretty will with the Ryzen 5 1600 on it.