Is 82 degrees Safe for Ryzen 7 1700?

Go to solution Solved by He_162,
21 hours ago, Mohak Arora said:

Hey guys, Thanks for answering my previous question. It's best to operate at stock. Now I have another query, Is it normal to see CPU Temp of about 75 C at stock (on full aida64 stress)?

If you are using the stock paste, and your ambient room temperature is 69 - 70 degrees Fahrenheit, then no. It should max at 65 - 66C with the Wraith Spire cooler, however, if your room is hot and you are seeing 75C, not much can be helped, at stock settings it's safe up to around 83C (based on when electro-migration happens) I'm not going to go in-depth with it here, but basically the heat can stretch the silicon in the CPU and damage the CPU DIE (the cores) by creating pockets that expand in the silicon due to the heat over time.

That happens on the stock settings at around 83C on full load (At 1.4v+ it can happen after extended use at 65C, and at 1.5v it can happen as low as 57 - 60C, although 1.5v has the potential to damage your CPU DIE outright, let alone on load, or at high temps.)

So generally you want your CPU below 60C, and below 1.3625v or so, it boosts higher than that for short periods of time to allow one core to boost higher than the rest, and that's fine, but running it like that 24/7 across all cores under load is dangerous, and will lessen the life of your processor.

If you want it to last a while, leave it at stock and run it as intended, the more expensive processors aren't just expensive to soak in money, they are hand picked from the bunch and tested, and very few meet the standards for running at those speeds at such low voltages, all Ryzen 7 1800x chips won the silicon lottery, and were lucky to do so, and since they don't have a humongous stock of silicon lottery winning chips, they sell them at a higher price to prevent from selling out of those chips all the time.

That being said, you seem to have a decent chip, but it's still lessening the life, or outright threatening it's lifespan if you run it at anything higher than stock, to keep it cooler, do the following:

Reapply a better thermal paste to the CPU.
Keep room temperature at or below 26C (for best performance keep it around 21C (69F)
Turn off "AMD Cool N' Quiet"
Set a custom fan curve to go to 100% fan usage at 63C, and 90% at 60C, etc, steep curve, but don't go below 60% fan usage at 40C, etc. Find a setup that works for you.

I know this is a lot of information, but it's a good read, and it will help you greatly, don't skip anything.

Hi guys

With some help from everyone here, at crucial points, I have finished my Ryzen build:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Planning to overclock to 3.7 GHz with Wraith Spire cooler)

RAM: G Skill Flare X 3200MHz
Graphics Card: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming 3.
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
Hard Drive: WD Black 4TB.
Power Supply: CoolerMaster V650 80+ Gold Fully Modular
Case: CoolerMaster MasterCase 5 (windowed) & using only 2 fans that are pre-included.

Initially I hadn't planned to overclock my Ryzen 7 1700 but seeing everyone talk about the awesome stock cooler, I wanted to give it a shot:

AMBIENT TEMPERATURE: 32 to 37 C in India (not kidding!)

EVERYTHING AT STOCK:

Ran Aida64 Stress Test for about 10 minutes.

CPU Temperature at 69 C - - - correction: today was really hot day now the temperature is at 75 - - - - 

Speed in Task Manager: 3.15 GHz

STABLE OVERCLOCK TO 3.5 GHz

I couldn't achieve any sort of stable overclock at higher frequency than 3.5 GHz (temps were issue)

Couldn't even increase the voltage as it led to increase in temps.

VCore Voltage: Auto

Speed: 3.5 GHz

Temperature: 82 C Max, averaging at 81 C.

Ran Aida64 Stress test for 40 minutes & no stability issues

----edit: already answered---- So now my question, Is it safe to run Ryzen 7 1700 at this 82 C temperature?

Temps were observed using HW Monitor & Ryzen Master (both showed same readings).

EDIT: Thanks to the community for answering my question, but now I have another query. Is it normal to see CPU Temp of about 75 C at stock (on full aida64 stress)?

EDIT 2: On searching more, I think problem could even be on the Thermal Paste. So due to some variables, I will mark the best answer now, since my original query was resolved anyways.

EDIT 3: Thanks to the people here, all my questions were awesomely answered.

Thank you.

Try setting your Vcore manually. The board might be setting it higher which in turn increases temps. You might be able to get a stable OC at a lower voltage.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

Its a little high, but I think in general it runs hot. Plus its a 1700 so it may just run hotter then usual, then say a 1600.

3 minutes ago, Mohak Arora said:

VCore Voltage: Auto

how much?

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

2 minutes ago, Krillingt75961 said:

Try setting your Vcore manually. The board might be setting it higher which in turn increases temps. You might be able to get a stable OC at a lower voltage.

is right. Your mo-bo probably gives more voltage than cpu needs to oc. Set it manually and perhaps you'll have a cooler oc.

I will definitely give it a try. What program will you recommend to check actual V Core voltage? In BIOS, it just shows Offset.

1 minute ago, Mohak Arora said:

I will definitely give it a try. What program will you recommend to check actual V Core voltage? In BIOS, it just shows Offset.

CPU-Z

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

1 minute ago, Mohak Arora said:

Something like CPU-Z. Aida64 also shows it.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

You should be able to get to 3.7 pretty easily. I have a vcore of 1.25v and have all cores at 3.7

Yeah, I planned on doing the same, maybe I'll find some success in manual mode.

Something like CPU-Z. Aida64 also shows it.

2 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

CPU-Z

Okay, I'm gonna try it. Thank you

13 minutes ago, yathis said:

Its a little high, but I think in general it runs hot. Plus its a 1700 so it may just run hotter then usual, then say a 1600.

nah, well not mine, mine idles 20 - 29C (depends if its been loaded as I'm on water) and loads 51C max - like I said I'm on a custom loop, but loads temps are lower then the 4790k it replaced

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

CPU-Z sucks with Ryzen. Shows my voltage at 2.7, which is laughable. Super unreliable for an accurate reading. I use HWiNFO64 to see something less insane.

21 minutes ago, Krillingt75961 said:

23 minutes ago, MaestroOCZ said:

is right. Your mo-bo probably gives more voltage than cpu needs to oc. Set it manually and perhaps you'll have a cooler oc.

25 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

how much?

I tried this just now:

VCore Voltage: +0V (CPU Z shows 1.175 V max)

CPU Speed: 3.5 GHz

CPU temps cranked up till 80 C and suddenly AIda64 stability test stopped with error (Warning: Hardware failure detected).

WOAH. This is not okay, I've already killed a Ryzen CPU using 1.4v Vcore, and letting it sit at 79C (max temp) during a 24 hour stress test. Eventually, it will kill itself.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

1 minute ago, He_162 said:

WOAH. This is not okay, I've already killed a Ryzen CPU using 1.4v Vcore, and letting it sit at 79C (max temp) during a 24 hour stress test. Eventually, it will kill itself.

Oh! Damn! I wouldn't conduct an overnight test, not after seeing this reply. Thanks.

Hey guys, Thanks for answering my previous question. It's best to operate at stock. Now I have another query, Is it normal to see CPU Temp of about 75 C at stock (on full aida64 stress)?

21 hours ago, Mohak Arora said:

If you are using the stock paste, and your ambient room temperature is 69 - 70 degrees Fahrenheit, then no. It should max at 65 - 66C with the Wraith Spire cooler, however, if your room is hot and you are seeing 75C, not much can be helped, at stock settings it's safe up to around 83C (based on when electro-migration happens) I'm not going to go in-depth with it here, but basically the heat can stretch the silicon in the CPU and damage the CPU DIE (the cores) by creating pockets that expand in the silicon due to the heat over time.

That happens on the stock settings at around 83C on full load (At 1.4v+ it can happen after extended use at 65C, and at 1.5v it can happen as low as 57 - 60C, although 1.5v has the potential to damage your CPU DIE outright, let alone on load, or at high temps.)

So generally you want your CPU below 60C, and below 1.3625v or so, it boosts higher than that for short periods of time to allow one core to boost higher than the rest, and that's fine, but running it like that 24/7 across all cores under load is dangerous, and will lessen the life of your processor.

If you want it to last a while, leave it at stock and run it as intended, the more expensive processors aren't just expensive to soak in money, they are hand picked from the bunch and tested, and very few meet the standards for running at those speeds at such low voltages, all Ryzen 7 1800x chips won the silicon lottery, and were lucky to do so, and since they don't have a humongous stock of silicon lottery winning chips, they sell them at a higher price to prevent from selling out of those chips all the time.

That being said, you seem to have a decent chip, but it's still lessening the life, or outright threatening it's lifespan if you run it at anything higher than stock, to keep it cooler, do the following:

Keep room temperature at or below 26C (for best performance keep it around 21C (69F)
Set a custom fan curve to go to 100% fan usage at 63C, and 90% at 60C, etc, steep curve, but don't go below 60% fan usage at 40C, etc. Find a setup that works for you.

I know this is a lot of information, but it's a good read, and it will help you greatly, don't skip anything.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

Nice was gonna try stock but got my h115i laying around so i used it on my ryzen 1700

stock cooler will be fine if you have a decent air intake system and a AC unit in your room.

event set at 100% the sound will not be issue compared to my 1080ti stock blower :P so try manual fan curve also check my latest post about manual voltages you can use and experiences and fails i had with my system here.

if you want better cooling get a Hyper T4 or Deepcool Gammax 400 they will be fine cooling up to 3.8-3.9 with decent voltage.

never buy a 120mm aio kit in that hot country it will be useless and try to get as much as possitive pressure in your case do not open side covers you dont want hell air from outside.

Welcome to ryzen and good luck with heat and cooling - i live in cyprus so its kinda hell hot in here too.

5 hours ago, He_162 said:

Yep this was definitely a good read, not long at all when you see the information contained in it. Solved one of the problems that were bugging me like anything. Actually I'm having all sorts of issues with my system, so I have to do a lot of analysis of each component. Anyhow, one of my issues was if the CPU is working correctly or not? Was the thermal paste applied correctly? (as it was not done by me but the vendor - long story). Getting good CPU parts, here in India, is both tough and costly (even the thermal paste it's just too much waiting & hassle), so I'm gonna try & give current system full chance, even if it runs stable only at stock. Running 30 minutes AIDA64 stress test with all check-boxes marked (at stock) gave me 77 C max with ambient of 32 C. I saw a video demonstration where they show that ambient temperature affects CPU temps a lot (like seriously a lot!). So now I know, it is normal. I will do some more testing though. Basically this thread has got me into the right direction now.

I'm now gonna analyse each component individually again, make a list of RMAs or further component buying, if needed and get the stuff so that I'm saved from the hassle of trying to get things again and again.

I did keep the fans running at full above 60 C, but have to apply curve settings like you mentioned. I didn't know about the AMD Cool N' Quiet. Thanks a lot for that too.

I'll definitely not hesitate to ask a question again, here, if I get bad results after analyzing xD

3 hours ago, MCCOPRA said:

Nice was gonna try stock but got my h115i laying around so i used it on my ryzen 1700

stock cooler will be fine if you have a decent air intake system and a AC unit in your room.

event set at 100% the sound will not be issue compared to my 1080ti stock blower :P so try manual fan curve also check my latest post about manual voltages you can use and experiences and fails i had with my system here.

if you want better cooling get a Hyper T4 or Deepcool Gammax 400 they will be fine cooling up to 3.8-3.9 with decent voltage.

never buy a 120mm aio kit in that hot country it will be useless and try to get as much as possitive pressure in your case do not open side covers you dont want hell air from outside.

Welcome to ryzen and good luck with heat and cooling - i live in cyprus so its kinda hell hot in here too.

Thanks seems to be a good article, with some fine temperature readings, I'll check it out.

5 hours ago, He_162 said:

I'm not trying to sound like Smarty McSmartypants, I'm really not. This is a good write-up and all and it's very appreciated. On the other hand, you're making it sound as as if heat is the sole propagator of electromigration when electromigration, to the best of my knowledge and sources available is simply owed to electron momentum simply stripping/moving material off a medium/interconnect etc and creating fractures. Such a process would occur anyway even on a chip running at stock specs, just very slowly, and is mostly a function of current rather than temperature. Abrupt thermal cycles would harm any medium, definitely, but failure due to thermal stress is a different matter as I see it. If anyone knows better I'd gladly retract that statement, no worries.

Additionally, there's still some flakiness regarding the encroachment of electromigration in modern electronics. It's always fair to warn someone when that someone is attempting to run a product past its rated specifications, but a lot of the danger is owed to the practice of constantly supplying max voltage to an overclocked chip. Many users around here have been on massively overclocked chips for years now, with no cascade of reports signifying the death of overclocked chips en masse. Part of it is owed to the resilience of many modern electronics, and part of it is owed to (like you mentioned) thermal control, and power saving features reducing the current through a CPU at idle.

This isn't any effort to discredit, merely puzzled by the heat = electromigration concept. Again, if anyone knows better, I'm all for it.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

1 hour ago, LooneyJuice said:

I'm not trying to sound like Smarty McSmartypants, I'm really not. This is a good write-up and all and it's very appreciated. On the other hand, you're making it sound as as if heat is the sole propagator of electromigration when electromigration, to the best of my knowledge and sources available is simply owed to electron momentum simply stripping/moving material off a medium/interconnect etc and creating fractures. Such a process would occur anyway even on a chip running at stock specs, just very slowly, and is mostly a function of current rather than temperature. Abrupt thermal cycles would harm any medium, definitely, but failure due to thermal stress is a different matter as I see it. If anyone knows better I'd gladly retract that statement, no worries.

Additionally, there's still some flakiness regarding the encroachment of electromigration in modern electronics. It's always fair to warn someone when that someone is attempting to run a product past its rated specifications, but a lot of the danger is owed to the practice of constantly supplying max voltage to an overclocked chip. Many users around here have been on massively overclocked chips for years now, with no cascade of reports signifying the death of overclocked chips en masse. Part of it is owed to the resilience of many modern electronics, and part of it is owed to (like you mentioned) thermal control, and power saving features reducing the current through a CPU at idle.

This isn't any effort to discredit, merely puzzled by the heat = electromigration concept. Again, if anyone knows better, I'm all for it.

I didn't go into it very deeply, I know the OP is new to this, but I was just referencing the fact that higher temperatures and voltages will increase the speed at which Electro-migration happens, occurs, and how fast it will end your processors life, but the thermal stress of heat is not so much a worry on these chips as it is some others due to the solder.

With solder on top of the CPU, you'll see it suffer sooner from electro-migration than with paste, but again, I was simply making it simple for the OP to understand this:

Higher voltage = higher temps, higher voltage also = higher chance of electro-migration at lower temperatues, and electro-migration isn't caused by the temps, it is however accelerated by higher temperatures, hence my referencing that.

I shouldn't have said per say "It starts at 83C" or something like that, but that's where it really kicks in hard on my chip (the one I broke) after testing at several temperatures below that, it finally killed itself slowly, but I understand why you'd come by and explain this.

*Just trying to keep things simply for the OP, but a more in depth explanation is alright by me, if you'd like to explain to him when and how it works, and how to prevent it (should he want to know) then that's fine, and yes before you reply again, I understand it happens 24/7 but at less of a rate than when it's overclocked, or seeing higher than recommended voltages, etc.