Should I remove Java from my computer?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Now if you read my post, you'll see a quick and simple how to, without actually destroying your computer.

I did read your post and it didn't work, thanks for helping

Goodbye, the problems been solved :)

Have a nice day.

Just now, Vielo said:

I used to play it on the PC, but I uninstalled it last year..

Well then that is how it got on your PC. If you don't want it just uninstall it from the Control Panel, "add or remove programs".

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Just now, NinJake said:

Don't just delete the application. Go to add/remove programs and uninstall it there if you really don't want it.

The strange thing is, its not there :o I found Java in %APPDATA% so I grew suspicious, then I searched it up on my PC, and there it is.. a whole file with Java stuff in it..

Just now, NinJake said:

I'm more or less curious what that folder is in between your C:\ drive and "windows" with that string of numbers.

NO IDEA, most files on my PC are photos and like 1 game which is Skyrim, I think that string of numbers is just a name given to it.

2 minutes ago, Vielo said:

The strange thing is, its not there :o I found Java in %APPDATA% so I grew suspicious, then I searched it up on my PC, and there it is.. a whole file with Java stuff in it..

Okay so then it wasn't officially installed it was just placed there by Minecraft... You are treating Java as if it's some virus... It's not lol.

Well if you want you can delete that entire "jre" folder. That's "java runtime environment"

Java is used by quite a lot of programs, and for many of them it isn't obvious that the use it (until they break when you uninstall Java). There have historically been quite a few bugs in the Java Sandbox, but Java isn't exposed to websites any more unless you jump through some hoops, so it doesn't represent a security risk.

Leave it on your computer.

HTTP/2 203

5 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Well then that is how it got on your PC. If you don't want it just uninstall it from the Control Panel, "add or remove programs".

I can't find it thats the strange thing! I can only find it only Search my pc! :o 

3 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Well if you want you can delete that entire "jre" folder. That's "java runtime environment"

Will it mess up my PC?

Just now, Vielo said:

Will it mess up my PC?

Buddy, just leave Java on your PC. It is fine.

4 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Java is used by quite a lot of programs, and for many of them it isn't obvious that the use it (until they break when you uninstall Java). There have historically been quite a few bugs in the Java Sandbox, but Java isn't exposed to websites any more unless you jump through some hoops, so it doesn't represent a security risk.

Leave it on your computer.

Strange thing is, it only appears on Search My PC, cannot find it on Control Panel or Apps or features its so weird!

Just now, Orangeator said:

Buddy, just leave Java on your PC. It is fine.

I was told that if I don't update it, I have a chance of getting malware.

2 minutes ago, Vielo said:

Will it mess up my PC?

No, not if you delete just the "JRE" folder. (If that will give you peace of mind)

Just now, NinJake said:

No, not if you delete just the "JRE" folder. (If that will give you peace of mind)

Any performance drops in games?

Just now, Vielo said:

Any performance drops in games?

No.

Java itself can be fine, but that location isn't where I'd expect to find it. Also note the file dates are from 2016, this version will be very old and even if genuine will have known exploitable weaknesses. What else is under the folder with the numbers in it? It is possible this was installed along with other software.

If this was my PC, and if there is no uninstaller, I would risk manually deleting it. If an app then complains about not having Java, I'd do a fresh install of the latest version.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

Java itself can be fine, but that location isn't where I'd expect to find it. Also note the file dates are from 2016, this version will be very old and even if genuine will have known exploitable weaknesses. What else is under the folder with the numbers in it? It is possible this was installed along with other software.

If this was my PC, and if there is no uninstaller, I would risk manually deleting it. If an app then complains about not having Java, I'd do a fresh install of the latest version.

Should I delete the whole entire folder? 

Hello, 

if you're worried, run an AV scan, and/or CCleaner, spybot and a few anti malware/spyware/addware checkers, and you should be good to go.

Then if it does not run you should be ok, you can check in the running services if you see something similar to this...

1 minute ago, porina said:

Delete the files in the screenshot right the whole thing?

Just now, sky99 said:

Hello, 

if you're worried, run an AV scan, and/or CCleaner, spybot and a few anti malware/spyware/addware checkers, and you should be good to go.

Then if it does not run you should be ok, you can check in the running services if you see something similar to this...

I have

1 minute ago, Vielo said:

AKA the JRE folder. xD

1 minute ago, Vielo said:

Before that, is there anything else in the top level folder that might suggest or give clues as to where this came from?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

Before that, is there anything else in the top level folder that might suggest or give clues as to where this came from?

Nope, I already did it and I found some more JRE files about security should I delete them too? Its from the same date and time 

6 minutes ago, NinJake said:

AKA the JRE folder. xD

I found JRE security files remaining should I delete?

Seriously did you like literally just learned how to use a computer?

Do not delete the file, do to add/remove programs and uninstall it. Don't see it then purposely reinstall Java. Next download and install revo uninstaller. No in revo uninstaller, find java, select advanced method and click uninstall. When Java is removed, scan to any remaining entries and delete those too.

There your system should be java free.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

6 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Seriously did you like literally just learned how to use a computer?

Do not delete the file, do to add/remove programs and uninstall it. Don't see it then purposely reinstall Java. Next download and install revo uninstaller. No in revo uninstaller, find java, select advanced method and click uninstall. When Java is removed, scan to any remaining entries and delete those too.

There your system should be java free.

IF you read my other replies you would see that I was not ABLE to find it in add/remove programs! so I had to delete the JRE file