Should I remove Java from my computer?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Now if you read my post, you'll see a quick and simple how to, without actually destroying your computer.

I did read your post and it didn't work, thanks for helping

Goodbye, the problems been solved :)

Have a nice day.

3 minutes ago, Vielo said:

I do not think I have Java anymore, because when I search it up nothing comes up except Javascripts.

As I said I deleted the WHOLE JRE file.

Download Java from one of the links I provided earlier. 

3 minutes ago, Vielo said:

I do not think I have Java anymore, because when I search it up nothing comes up except Javascripts.

As I said I deleted the WHOLE JRE file.

Do you need JAVA? If not, don't bother installing it, as it's similar to how Flash is dead. (for the consumer - Java is still relevant for industry use.)

If you don't know if you need JAVA, you don't need JAVA. Unless you play Minecraft, or your employer uses outdated web apps that only work in IE6, you probably don't need JAVA.

Otherwise, you can get JAVA from https://www.java.com/ if needed. Although I prefer the JAVA that comes out of a coffee pot.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

No Java will not increase performance, and has been the subject of many security issues in the past, so while it itself is not a virus, it may make you more vulnerable and should be removed if you don't need it.  I can't tell from you post if or how you removed it, but you may want to install it again, then properly uninstall it using the uninstaller- ie, make sure you don't just delete the folder in Program Files, that does not truly uninstall it.

As for the web browser issue, I would reinstall the browser too.  It does not need Java in any way and removing Java should not affect it in the slightest.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

No Java will not increase performance, and has been the subject of many security issues in the past, so while it itself is not a virus, it may make you more vulnerable and should be removed if you don't need it.  I can't tell from you post if or how you removed it, but you may want to install it again, then properly uninstall it using the uninstaller- ie, make sure you don't just delete the folder in Program Files, that does not truly uninstall it.

As for the web browser issue, I would reinstall the browser too.  It does not need Java in any way and removing Java should not affect it in the slightest.

I went on Java.com and downloaded a uninstall tool, it said Java was not detected so it should be fine I guess :)

Deleting the JRE file did work :D I guess you learn from your mistakes.

This is how I deleted it: (I deleted it manually cause it was not in uninstall programs) Searched Java, Java came up, open file locations>JRE>Deleted EVERYTHING in that folder. It worked :)

1 minute ago, Vielo said:

I went on Java.com and downloaded a uninstall tool, it said Java was not detected so it should be fine I guess :)

Deleting the JRE file did work :D I guess you learn from your mistakes.

I still don't know what you mean by the "JRE file" though... do you mean the folder in Program Files? Do you mean just the executable in that folder?  Something else?  Regardless it sounds like it wasn't properly uninstalled so even though that tool can't detect it, doesn't mean it didn't still leave remnants behind in the registry or elsewhere.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I still don't know what you mean by the "JRE file" though... do you mean the folder in Program Files? Do you mean just the executable in that folder?  Something else?  Regardless it sounds like it wasn't properly uninstalled so even though that tool can't detect it, doesn't mean it didn't still leave remnants behind in the registry or elsewhere.

Trust me no remnants, JRE is Java  runtime environment, it has all the files in Java, I deleted the whole thing.

Anyway remnants won't hurt right?

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Not even CCleaner detected Java, I had to uninstall it manually.

JRE is Java  runtime environment,

Yes I know :P 

it has all the files in Java

How do you know that for certain?  The vast majority of programs out there put things outside their Program Files folder when installed, so while it's possible this doesn't, my first instinct would be to assume that it did.

, I deleted the whole thing.

Anyway remnants won't hurt right?

I suppose not but it's still clutter that will take up space (perhaps a tiny amount, perhaps a lot) and could potentially cause system slowdowns or errors now or down the road, depending on what was left where.

Not even CCleaner detected Java, I had to uninstall it manually.

Ah, well it's probably fine then.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes I know :P 

How do you know that for certain?  The vast majority of programs out there put things outside their Program Files folder when installed, so while it's possible this doesn't, my first instinct would be to assume that it did.

I suppose not but it's still clutter that will take up space (perhaps a tiny amount, perhaps a lot) and could potentially cause system slowdowns or errors now or down the road, depending on what was left where.

Ah, well it's probably fine then.

I found a file with a long coded name called I1466842738, clicked on it had 3 files: these are:

InstallerData

Windows: I clicked on this and it says Jvmspecs and it also said setup and I clicked on setup and it says Java VM cannot be opened

Should I delete the whole file? 

Sea_loc

Should I delete I1466842738?

2 minutes ago, Vielo said:

I found a file with a long coded name called I1466842738, clicked on it had 3 files: these are:

InstallerData

Windows: I clicked on this and it says Jvmspecs and it also said setup and I clicked on setup and it says Java VM cannot be opened

Should I delete the whole file? 

Sea_loc

Should I delete I1466842738?

I would advise against deleting random folders you find in C:\WINDOWS or C:\ProgramData, there's no telling what they're for and could break

The best way to remove it would be to install it, then properly uninstall using the uninstaller, but if everything is fine and you're fine with it already, it's probably not worth the effort.

Did you try turning it off and back on again?

Still not Java free :ph34r:

Capture.PNG.c389732efd2642b2ced2efa659050f38.PNG

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Still not Java free :ph34r:

Capture.PNG.c389732efd2642b2ced2efa659050f38.PNG

But this is your PC

10 hours ago, Vielo said:

But this is your PC

It's on a VM, just showing to you that, simply deleting that "JRE file" does not mean you have complete removed everything. There is no way you will know the registry classIDs as shown in this sample image. While Java is a necessary runtime for some applications, games, or websites. There are still leftsovers of it remaining in your system, even thought it's not in add/remove programs and you have manually deleted the JRE file.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Sorry I didn't fully understand the question before, all you have to do is reinstall java, if you get it from the official site you should not get any malware or viruses 

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I realise this is an old post, relating to Java. but with web browsers no longer supporting Java is they any real point in keeping this software on my PC these days, (I do run graphic intensive video games (but not mine-craft, as I read earlier on this topic)

thanks.