Should I remove Java from my computer?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Now if you read my post, you'll see a quick and simple how to, without actually destroying your computer.

I did read your post and it didn't work, thanks for helping

Goodbye, the problems been solved :)

Have a nice day.

Hello,

I found Java file in my %APPDATA% containing a LOCK file, I heard that Java gives viruses and malware so I panicked and deleted it, It says it was downloaded last year during May.

I have ran atleast 200 virus scans with Avira and Hitman Pro since last year, so I probably do not have malware or any viruses, I am pretty paranoid, I don't even know if I have Java on my PC and this is the only think I have seen related to it, I can't remember downloading Java, does it come bundled with Minecraft? cause I downloaded that last year and then deleted it. To be honest, I am pretty scared right now.

Thanks and please help :/ 

Minecraft does require java. Lots of things like java. It should not be an big issue if you find it in your appdata folder. (that's the place where it should go)

If your anti virus tells you there is nothing wrong, you should be save. Especialy if that folder/file is already that old.

7 minutes ago, Vielo said:

I heard that Java gives viruses and malware so I panicked and deleted it,

Java itself is perfectly legitimate software, but vulnerabilities in Java can be exploited by malware creators. Just like how vulnerabilities in Flash, Windows, or your web browser can also be exploited. That's why it's important to keep it up to date.

I don't know where Java installs itself by default, but I do not find it immediately alarming that you found Java files in %APPDATA%. I'm not saying it is or isn't OK, just that I don't think that alone is cause for concern.

7 minutes ago, typographie said:

Java itself is perfectly legitimate software, but vulnerabilities in Java can be exploited by malware creators. Just like how vulnerabilities in Flash, Windows, or your web browser can also be exploited. That's why it's important to keep it up to date.

I don't know where Java installs itself by default, but I do not find it immediately alarming that you found Java files in %APPDATA%. I'm not saying it is or isn't OK, just that I don't think that alone is cause for concern.

To be honest, I didn't even know I had Java! I do not even know how and where to update it! :( I have not had ANY notifications regarding Java, it probably came with Minecraft, or I installed it and I cannot remember.

9 minutes ago, typographie said:

I searched Java, in search my PC and ALOT JavaScriptCollectionAgents come up, no idea what this is, should I be worried? and also Java comes up but when I click on it command prompt opens, So many JAVA FILES :(

1 minute ago, Vielo said:

To be honest, I didn't even know I had Java! I do not even know how and where to update it! :( I have not had ANY notifications regarding Java, it probably came with Minecraft, or I installed it and I cannot remember.

If Minecraft requires it, it likely comes bundled with the installer.

Assuming Java is still installed, there should be a Java entry in your Control Panel, I think. There are update scheduling options in there.

https://www.java.com/en/download/help/java_update.xml

Java and JavaScript are two completely different things. I think those JavaScriptCollectionAgent files are components of Internet Explorer.

23 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Minecraft does require java. Lots of things like java. It should not be an big issue if you find it in your appdata folder. (that's the place where it should go)

If your anti virus tells you there is nothing wrong, you should be save. Especialy if that folder/file is already that old.

13 minutes ago, typographie said:

I uninstalled Minecraft along time ago, and Java application comes up but when I click on it Command prompt opens up for half a second, I don't even want Java, I don't even know what it does! I am just a PC gamer who plays stuff like Battlefield 1 and Overwatch. Do I need it?

Some web pages (used to) like Java for their stuff. (not talking about javascript, because I think that's just code... Not sure) But in any case, your browser might not be that happy. And you do seem to be using your browser...

2 minutes ago, Vielo said:

I uninstalled Minecraft along time ago, and Java application comes up but when I click on it Command prompt opens up for half a second, I don't even want Java, I don't even know what it does! I am just a PC gamer who plays stuff like Battlefield 1 and Overwatch. Do I need it?

I don't think you "need" it. Some websites might warn you about not having Java, though.

Go to your Start menu > Settings > System > Apps & Features and see if it appears in the list. If it does, and you don't want it, just uninstall it.

2 minutes ago, typographie said:

I don't think you "need" it. Some websites might warn you about not having Java, though.

Go to your Start menu > Settings > System > Apps & Features and see if it appears in the list. If it does, and you don't want it, just uninstall it.

No, its not in there :( 

3 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Some web pages (used to) like Java for their stuff. (not talking about javascript, because I think that's just code... Not sure) But in any case, your browser might not be that happy. And you do seem to be using your browser...

I only search the internet on my MacBook, I just play videos games on my PC and I only go on the internet on my Windows PC, if I need to install drivers, download Blizzard launcher.etc 

3 minutes ago, Varpin said:

MInecraft doesn't need Java to run. https://mspoweruser.com/its-time-to-uninstall-java-from-your-pc-minecraft-doesnt-need-java-installed-anymore/ 

So i don't think that you have Java files because of Minecraft.

That's a highly inaccurate statement. It's simply bundled with it now. So yes you will have the Java runtime environment wherever MC installed it to. If you'd even have read that link yourself it explicitly tells you as much... 

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

9 minutes ago, typographie said:

10 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

I have AMD drivers installed, if that needs Java :/ 

I found Java and it says this;

C:\I1466842738\WIndows\resource\bin

SHOULD I DELETE IT? ITS IN THE RESOURCES/JRE/BIN FOLDER 

7 minutes ago, Vielo said:

No, its not in there :( 

If it's not in there, then it's likely not enough of it still remains to be considered "installed." I just wouldn't worry about it, personally.

You can try to manually delete whatever files are still around, but just be careful that whatever you find is actually part of the Java client program. As I said, those JavaScriptCollectionAgent files are something else entirely.

2 minutes ago, typographie said:

If it's not in there, then it's likely not enough of it still remains to be considered "installed." I just wouldn't worry about it, personally.

You can try to manually delete whatever files are still around, but just be careful that whatever you find is actually part of the Java client program. As I said, those JavaScriptCollectionAgent files are something else entirely.

Wait, a minute i'll post a screenshot

In any event the stigmatism about Java and vulnerabilities is largely down it it not getting updated and old versions being left installed.

'Java' in this context comprises a programming language and a virtual machine where applications written in it will run within. Minecraft is one such example. Nothing malicious or scary about it.

Moreover I find it better form to obtain the latest official version from Oracle than to trust the guff that Minecraft downloads.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Hey! I found Java in my PC, and I cannot remember installing it, I have heard its risky and if you do not need it DELETE IT, I am only a PC gamer.

Here is the screenshot, what should I delete the Java application or whole file? 

Thanks

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

No reason to touch it. Its only a security risk if its running.

Tbh, I don't even know its running, I didn't know that this even existed on my PC o.O 

What would you do?

1 minute ago, Vielo said:

Tbh, I don't even know its running, I didn't know that this even existed on my PC o.O 

What would you do?

Check whether it's running or not? :P

its not that big of a deal as long as it's closed. Just look it up in the task manager.

2 minutes ago, Vielo said:

What would you do?

Java is fine, heck... I am pretty sure it is necessary to have on your PC to even play Minecraft.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Don't just delete the application. Go to add/remove programs and uninstall it there if you really don't want it.

Just now, Orangeator said:

Java is fine, heck... I am pretty sure it is necessary to have on your PC to even play Minecraft.

I used to play it on the PC, but I uninstalled it last year..

I'm more or less curious what that folder is in between your C:\ drive and "windows" with that string of numbers.