Hey!

I currently have a Sony SLT-A37, which i bought a couple of years back. It is a pretty decent camera for a beginner at photography, but I really want to upgrade now. Many people tell me to go for the Nikon D5XXX series. Could you suggest some good camera for a budget price? And what about Canon?

Aditya K. Arun / redscape photo and video.

Photography, Tech enthusiast.

500px.com/redscape_

Instagram: redscape_

Canon, Nikon and other brands have multiple tiers of cameras.

Entry level which usually costs around $400-500, give or take a few.

Advanced entry level: around $700-800, give or take a few.

Mid tier/prosumer: around $1000-1200, give or take.

Advanced mid tier/prosumer, semi-pro, pro-cropped: around $1500-2000, give or take

Entry level Full Frame: around $2000-2500, again give or take.

Pro full frame: between $3000-3500, again give or take.

Flagship: around $5000-6000...

So what features are you looking for in a camera?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Advanced Entry level. 

500px.com/redscape_

3 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Canon, Nikon and other brands have multiple tiers of cameras.

Entry level which usually costs around $400-500, give or take a few.

Advanced entry level: around $700-800, give or take a few.

Mid tier/prosumer: around $1000-1200, give or take.

Advanced mid tier/prosumer, semi-pro, pro-cropped: around $1500-2000, give or take

Entry level Full Frame: around $2000-2500, again give or take.

Pro full frame: between $3000-3500, again give or take.

Flagship: around $5000-6000...

So what features are you looking for in a camera?

Actually an advanced entry level one would suit me. Again something like the D5300/5500 comes to mind

500px.com/redscape_

1 minute ago, Red____14 said:

Advanced Entry level. 

Ok so you have an idea of how much to spend.  Are there any specific features you'd like in a camera?  Something that's essential (apart from being able to take photos of course).

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

Ok so you have an idea of how much to spend.  Are there any specific features you'd like in a camera?  Something that's essential (apart from being able to take photos of course).

Haha good one. I would want some decent video capabilities as well. Wifi/NFC stuff is not much of a priority. 1080p video with 30FPS+ maybe? RIght now I do most of my video on a Galaxy S7

500px.com/redscape_

13 minutes ago, Red____14 said:

Haha good one. I would want some decent video capabilities as well. Wifi/NFC stuff is not much of a priority. 1080p video with 30FPS+ maybe? RIght now I do most of my video on a Galaxy S7

OK I want you to look at some camera models listed below, all of which should come within your budget bracket with a kit lens (usually an 18-55) included.

Nikon D5300, D5500 or D5600

Canon 750D, 760D?, 800D  (I put a question mark next to the 760D because I couldn't find a listing for it with an 18-55 kit, only an 18-135mm kit which brings the price up)

Sony A6000

Panasonic G7

1 minute ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

OK I want you to look at some camera models listed below, all of which should come within your budget bracket with a kit lens (usually an 18-55) included.

Nikon D5500 or D5600

Canon 750D, 760D?, 800D  (I put a question mark next to the 760D because I couldn't find a listing for it with an 18-55 kit, only an 18-135mm kit which brings the price up)

Sony A6000

Panasonic G7

Thank you so much! You made my life a lot easier. Ill look it up

500px.com/redscape_

3 minutes ago, Red____14 said:

Thank you so much! You made my life a lot easier. Ill look it up

Include the D5300 from Nikon too, forgot to put it in my previous comment.

4 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Include the D5300 from Nikon too, forgot to put it in my previous comment.

I can get the D5300 with the 18-55VR lens for 450$. Seems like a good value? And i want to add in a 50mm FIxed lens for portraits and stuff like that

500px.com/redscape_

6 minutes ago, Red____14 said:

I can get the D5300 with the 18-55VR lens for 450$. Seems like a good value? And i want to add in a 50mm FIxed lens for portraits and stuff like that

Sounds like a good deal and if you feel the D5300 offers everything you essentially need and is a significant step up from your previous camera, go for it.

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

Sounds like a good deal and if you feel the D5300 offers everything you essentially need and is a significant step up from your previous camera, go for it.

Hmmm. I feel the same. Ill keep a watch on the prices.

500px.com/redscape_