No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

Maybe reduce the amount of "small" unboxings of really minor products and stick to more informational videos. 

I started watching you because of your unboxings, but I'm still watching because of the vast amount of knowledge I have gained from watching your videos. 

I think one of the important things about LTT is that you really do know what you're saying and you do research before talking about particularly subjects. So long as you're able to coninture to 'transfer" that knowledge to the camera I reckon you'll really stand out against other youtubers who do general unboxings and tech demos ect.  

Hi Linus,

Personally, I wouldn't mind a reduction in unboxings.  I know you are trying to get more bandwidth to do stuff other stuff that you think is valuable to the community.  But....from a business standpoint, you will lose potential subscribers.  You don't want the potential subscribers to go to other channels because what will happen is those channels will eventually expand as well and gobble up any chance you have at growing.

You should think of the unboxings as a gateway commercial for future endeavors. I know it might be a pain because of the work involved that it takes to film, edit, post, and maintain the content but this is your foundation.  Without it, you might find yourself sinking because you leave the potential for other channels to steal your current and future subscriber base.  For example, if I wanted to see a 2 minute video unboxing to see what the product looks like and what comes inside of it, I will check your channel first. If it is not there, I search youtube. Also, please keep in mind that I may not want to watch a 25 minute indepth video of it if I already know the specs.

Also, please keep in mind if you slow down the amount of content that you produce and post to Youtube you run the risk of people becoming bored with the channel because there is nothing new.

This is just my two cents.  I appreciate that you want feed back.  Just trying to give you a different perspective. 

Linus I really enjoy watching your unboxings. They are one of the things that got me subscribed to you. I would like you to keep doing them.

I am a bit biased.  What brought me originally to your channel was in particular your unboxing and mini reviews of cases and coolers.  I build a few systems a month.  Most of those end up being more business class systems but I get just enough people looking for higher end systems that your videos going through cases in particular were always very helpful.  Everyone else that does this on youtube either seems too rushed,  or wants me to watch them for 2 hours talking about a case.  The way you do case unboxing / overviews was perfect for me to see the pros and cons of a case without buying one.  As a business owner I would never want to tell you to change what you have determined is the way your business should operate and evolve but in a pure selfish sense I do miss the volume of simple product unboxing / over views in particular new cases that come out.  

You are a crazy success story.  Who would have thought that goofy kid with hoop earings and backwards hats in your first videos would evolve to what you have done with your new business.  Whichever way you take your business congratulations and follow your instincts,  they have served you well so far.  

On the contrary, I think you need more unboxings. Specifically of cases. More specifically, of budget cases, like Xigmatek, low-end Thermaltake, Nanoxia, Aerocool, etc.

These cases have almost no information on them and it can be hard to decide whether or not they are worth the purchase or fit the requirements you have.

That said, unboxings of things that AREN'T cases can also be coupled with reviews or overviews, since a case unboxing (and overview) is effectively a review.

In short, unboxings are important to me. Particularly on the low end.

I agree with coolbeans as long as we get to know some extras im fine with it :D

PC Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K  4.5 GHz  | CPU COOLER: H80i | GPU:EVGA GTX 780Ti  |  Motherboard: MSI Z87I   |  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy  |  RAM: 8GB Avexir Venom  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB , 60GB Agility 3  Monitor: 32" HD TV (LOL)   PSU: Corsair 750W

I don't want to see unboxings go away entirely but the amount of unboxings you make could be reduced to provide time for other content.

As you said they take a fraction of the time so maybe an unboxing every once and a while.

Well... your unboxings are my go-to when it comes to deciding over which product should I buy. So... I think you should keep doing them. Maybe  not as much as you're doing right now, but yeah...

I have no problem not seeing unboxings. I never understood unboxing a graphics card as if people want to see it...which looks like every other card could they just go on newegg or ncix amazon and look at pics ? I say less work you have to do the better. Have a great Thanksgiving. 0/ 

I feel that I am more drawn to the lengthy and detailed content, such as card showdowns and build guides, but as someone who is involved in the market, it is great to get some insight into a product in addition to my own research from someone who has their hand on the product and is giving their first impressions. Would this also mean less money and sample products being sent, if you would not be unboxing the senders products? Yeah, you will still have sponsor spots, but this could close doors. Although ultimately, I trust your judgement in where you want to take your company and your channel, and I would continue to watch regardless. Hell, I would still watch if you renamed the channel Linus Bronie Tips and only reviewed My Little Pony products. 

I'm good with it. Just hope it doesn't hurt Linus media group. less videos has got to equal more views in order to sustain or to grow right. But with better content there should be more views. I might be looking at it wrong. Or over thinking it, or rambling.

I have no interest in the boxing i just want to see the performance and reviews of the products.

I like the idea of daily unboxings, but honestly there are so many products out that I get tired of random stuff. I would prefer more quality and informative type-stuff. 

Im not sure how I feel about the daily news show, but It would be interesting for sure. 

Since you say unboxings dont take that much time, I dont see why abandoning them altogether is necessary, but its called Linus Media Group for a reason I suppose.  

I love your unboxings, but im okay if you leave them and make more indepth reviews instead. Which is more useful in my opinion.

I still really like the unboxings, just to see your first impression of a product. Plus, I like to call your videos indepth unboxings because they're really more than just looking at the box and reading the tech specs. You always tell a more information about something. All that being said, if you're getting tired of the unboxings definitely change it up and do the videos you want to do. I'll keep watching.

Your unboxing videos are the only ones worth watching.  Most others are boring as hell or over the top stupid trying to copy cat you.  Maybe you could just do less of them rather than stop completely.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

Honestly, if this give you the opportunity to grow as a "reviewer" and to publish more "produced" videos, I'm all for it. But, knowing that unboxing are very popular and that they made your channel grow as it is, I think that you should maybe consider doing very occasionnal unboxing of major and flagship products.

This is it... and keep up the good work.

get rid of them. I always thought they just sounded like commercials for products. 

Id much prefer more in depth reviews, benchmarks & analysis than simple unboxings. Like how you deal with new graphics cards upon launch. You explain the new features & what they mean, you test performance and compare how they stack up to the competition. Also with your I-Switched series. They were the most indepth and perfect informative videos you have ever done (imo). Also The nVidea shield video wasn't just you regurgitating the specs. It was how it felt, how it would fit in with a persons lifestyle after setting it up and using it hand on.

If you want to ditch unboxings, im ok with that if it means the videos you put out are fewer but more informative.

I look much more forward to you reviews, guides & tech quickie videos than unboxings

Aussie FTW!
4770k, H60, GTX 780, G1 Sniper 5, Samsung EVO 250GB, Seagate 2TB, Vengance Pro RAM 2133mhz 8GB, Silverstone Strider 850w
The Monolith Desk - build log incomplete.

To be honest, GPU unboxings could go out the window. I think we all can agree on that. CPU as well.

Comparing certain categories of products, like CPUs and GPUs to fill up those videos would be great, like a "aftermarketcoolerbranded GPU roundup review" or something else, or in general, comparing videos would be best also.

Now unless, unless that product that you're reviewing has special one of its kind features, then by all means go on and explain what it is and how it will affect us, positively and negatively.

PS I love tech quickie!

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

I, err not sure, the unboxings you did ever sins ncix was my biggest intrest, cant you do a test run for a month?

I do like the way things are now but sometimes it seems your rushing your content to jump on the next, maybe you need more manpower (i know you cant afford it) or try letting slick do some of the work, like the unboxings if he does not mind.

But yeah i think you should try Doing a test run (make sure you tell us in the video thats its test run)

I'm obviously a noob here, so I don't really expect my 10 cents to be worth much. With that said, I think that a measured and balanced approach is pretty key in all things. Sure the unboxings don't provide the wealth of quality information that the reviews, guides, and tests do. However I personally don't think every product warrants a one of those. The unboxings are nice for products that don't warrant full reviews, but are still of some importance. For now it seems like phasing them out would be a good option, and if it comes to it 6 months or so down the road just abandon them entirely. Obviously this could change as we see what you and slick have envision for the future of LTT.

If your videos are going to be like the Sony Xperia video, then that's fine.  More of a review than an unboxing.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

Your unboxings are what attracted me years ago, not reviews that I can find everywhere else.  I'd probably unsubscribe.  I'm sorry for being blunt, but it's my personal opinion.

When I first started getting into computer components and building about four years ago, I started looking through the interwebs for basics and guides. I very quickly found that you were my favorite source. For noobs, you're like Alton Brown; entertaining, knowledgeable, and you really get into what you're teaching. I'd very much be okay with you spending more time focussing on reviews and guides and As Fast As Possibles than unboxings, but I wouldn't abandon them completely. Maybe keep doing the big unboxings, like Corsair Obsidian cases and cakes that look like components, but limiting or stopping smaller unboxings, like non-Noctua fans and optical drives.

Anywho, thanks Linus for making the best place to talk, share, and learn about PC stuff!