No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

I admit i havn't read through 16 pages of points of view.

My thoughts maybe limit your unboxings to good value or quality cases, mobos and PSU. Cpu's and Gpu's are more of an overclock and benchmark review. As for memory and HDD/SSD well they are a waste of 3 mins in unboxings.

In the end i will stay loyal but maybe just the odd unboxing of quality or new stuff mainly cases.

No, keep going with the unboxing! But you don't have to make them as professional, make them in a laid back style, like when you started out on youtube :)

I think that's is a bad idea. Unboxings is the reason i started to watch your videos in the first place. Please don't stop that!

If its not profitable for you then i would stop. When you stop you will have more time, nerves, more bandwidth.

Unboxing =/= Review 

Well I think I would prefer you to continue doing unboxing because of the sense of critic you have and the way you look at the product would be more than useful to the customer . In my opinion , it's an option to stop doing unboxing but those that mean you'll make way more reviews on product.

For example , you were the only one with a really good review of the G930 from logitech . And It was in a unboxing video. 

Anyway it's just my point of view , hope it help .

i think that what made linus media group so big was mainly the unboxings,and the big amount of contant you guys were able to put in a short video.

i think the not doing any more unboxings at all.wont be good:

1)allot of product like small gadgets dont need a long in depth review to show if they are good or not

2)if its not broke dont fix it

well, i think your unboxing videos are the best on youtube, i simply can't find unboxings that suits me better, but i would like if you did the unboxing and review in one, like feks the gpu's, i think that idea really works :)

But Tech Quickie, i really dont like that anyways, use less time on that, and the guides, well its for me a waste of time to watch :)

I like this idea. I feel you can make some upgrade videos for example like you can upgrade to this if you running this. Let's say for example you want to upgrade from 560ti what card would you buy now for 1440p etc etc. I know it's like a buyers guide but yeah. Maybe if you can get closer to AMD/Nvidia making better sli/crossfire drivers for games. Maybe also lift opinions what you liek and what you dislike and what they could've improved on the cards so that we all can get better products in the future. sorry if you already doing half of what I said but just dig in deeper.

I wish more uneducated people watched your videos rather than people that already know their stuff in and out. I feel tech quicky is good but not the right people watching it. Like I said we need more people watching your videos that doesn't know about graphics cards etc etc. Take my brother for example. When he upgrades he doesn't know what to get and get something stupid in the end.

i would still like to see some unboxings occasionally :)

GPU: MSI GTX 770 gaming || CPU: Intel 4670k @ 4.4Ghz || RAM: 4x4GB 1600mhz Corsair vengeance pro || MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming || CPU cooler: Corsair H105 || PSU: Corsair RM650 || SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Crucial M4 128GB || Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 || Monitor: ASUS PA238Q

I really like your unboxings, but as much as i love them i could do without them. Instead i would like to see comparison of different products, i think that would be great.

With all that said. Thank you for a wonderful channel and forum!

First Impression:

Let's be honest: you are already phasing away from unboxings. Over the last 6 months, there have been more videos on particular products like GPUs where you pretty much present them together with Slick. Old-school, literal unboxings are becoming rare on your channel as far as I can tell. Most of the time you talk about the products features and whether you'd recommend it i.e. Pros and Cons and then move over to performance (as of recently handled by Slick). I prefer that format. I never really cared about what foam they use to ship my case, or what cables my PSU is coming with, after all if anything is missing I'll contact the retailer or just buy some additional ones.

Back when you were focused on unboxings, I used to watch several different channels regularly to get more detailed information on the products you unboxed. Now that becomes less of a thing, because you go over (in terms of GPU) performance, overclockablity, features and your thoughts on it. I really only look at OC3D or ToT if there something new is released and I am really interested and want to get every possible bit of information. I tend to focus on videos rather than text, purely because video is passiv and I can do other things while I listen to Logan in the background.

Daily Show:

I like that you guys cover events like the nVidia weekend, or the AMD thing when they first revealed the Hawaii line-up. I also thoroughly enjoy the WAN show even though I can almost never watch it live. The fact that you have guests that are actually a name in the buisness is fantastic and really brings the show to a new level. A Daily News show is a risky idea in my opinion. Much like me, I think a lot of people don't have the time to watch your videos every day and are watching the WAN show in order to catch up with what's new and relevant. If you do daily news, I'd be afraid you will cover topics that are of little to no importance to your audience.

Tech Quickie: I like this series a lot. However, I think it is lacking a counter-format. FAP is nice if you wanna know what the heck a particular term means, like overclocking. But there are a lot of tech questions that I could think of, which I am sure you could explain very nicely and visually appealing like the FAP videos, but that may take 10+ minutes.

Conclusion: I would very much like you to abandon unboxings, personally I have never seen the point of them. I am not sure about the idea of making a Daily Show, I guess it will be trial and error. Since your reviews will only be about select products, much like Logan, maybe you and him could partner up so that we don't see the same review twice, but rather him doing Gigabyte and you ASUS or something. Either way, I wish you good luck and I thank thee for asking the community first.

-vT

PS: If you don't enjoy Unboxings anymore, then that will be reflected in your content quality jada, jada, do what you love doing, and the commuinty will likely follow you after all its LinusTechTips ^^

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

maybe you could mix them with review? so in every review you start with an quick unboxing!? i know alot of people like watching unboxing, and then after they think where is the review, So to mix them together would be a great alternative! :)  i always watch your unboxings/reviews so maybe a mix would be good :)

Noooo, Linus. I absolutely LOVE your un-boxing videos. I've been watching every single one of them for a couple of years now. They provide a very quick and brief summary/ first impression of the product.

That being said, I would continue supporting you and your team in going ahead as you see fit, as I consider all the videos LTT puts out as top stuff! Kudos!

You should not stop unboxings your channel is great because of thep keep up the good work ;)

I don't like the idea of completely ditching unboxings. I think a small reduction at most, Maybe just cut out the less popular items from unboxings. I would still love to see unboxings of new release products, If you're going to ditch them at least keep the new release ones.

I really like the layout of unboxings recently, it has taken a long time to get it to where it is now. It would be a shame to see that work go to waste (I know it wouldn't be waste but it feels like it would be)

What would you say at the end if you couldn't say

"make sure you subscribe for more UNBOXINGS, reviews and other computer videos"

I also noticed you don't say that much any more. Bring it back please. It doesn't feel like the video has finished until you say that.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Hi! I have read your thoughts and this is my humble opinion.

Each and every thing you (and by you, I mean not just you, but the entire team at LMG) do make sense for someone, so in the end, some people are going to be pleased, and some will not.

That being said, I understand that even a 2 minute unboxing, actually takes a lot more than that to produce (planning, shooting, re-shooting, editing, various and random set-backs).

So from a producer's perspective, I think it is not exactly too time-effective to do something like that.

Regarding that, I would suggest not to abandon ALL unboxings, but to do one, only when it counts, when something changes, or somthing significant happens. Like with the AMD Radeon R290X, and the DVI port. If not for your video, I would've thought that it has the standard DVI that can be used with a VGA peripheral. That is what I would consider a useful unboxing, letting viewers know what they need in order to run the latest hardware. So, in short, rare and significant unboxings vs. no unboxings, I personally think is better.

Also, regarding the guides, I personally like them, and, if possible, I would like to see more emphasis on the software side of things. 

I for one enjoyed the old Windows upgrade/downgrade videos, the WD SmartWare videos (and other).

And one last thing, personally, I would like to see an "average PC user's" perspective, regarding both hardware and software. By "average user", I mean: not Ultra but High Settings in ALL games, and smooth playable framerates, not necessarily constant 60/140, but 45-50, various office applications (CAD, Office, light video editing and photo editing).

Terribly sorry for the long post. Wish you all the best!!!

At first I didn't liked the idea of not doing unboxings, that was the reason I started to watch LTT, but if you guys need more time to spend with family and other stuff, I'm fine. But don't stop doing unboxings like Computer cases, Motherboards, graphics cards just the reviews are fine we already know what and how do they come inside, the same thing to CPUs, PSUs, cooling components, and monitors.

I think this is a good idea :) What a lot of people have already said quality over quantity, I love it when in unboxings you talk about more that just what is in the box! (so reviews basically)

I will go to unbox therapy for my unboxing needs ;) and you for detailed quality information :D

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

100% fine with this decision. They are a good quick introduction to a product but really nothing more, in the most part looking at some pictures and reading a spec sheet can do this. Plenty of people do them as well, especially for popular products, and they pretty much all just go over the same points the manufactures spells out for them.

Using the time to provide unique content seems like the right choice.

Would this impact sourcing products for benchmarking/build guides,etc though?

How about a compromise.

Less unboxings in general, but keep unboxings of things that benefit from the process. For example, I would rather have tested reviews instead of unboxings for phones, videocards, etc. Unboxings of things like cases is something I would like to keep.

The first impressions and opinions of the product is something I have found personally useful.

How about a compromise.

Less unboxings in general, but keep unboxings of things that benefit from the process. For example, I would rather have tested reviews instead of unboxings for phones, videocards, etc. Unboxings of things like cases is something I would like to keep.

The first impressions and opinions of the product is something I have found personally useful.

YES. This is what I want. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

keep the unboxings on things like top of the range motherboards, graphics cards, monitors and some peripherals (stuf you find cool and geek about) and make it a small part at the introduction of the video. the rest can be the overview/review

I would be ok with more quality (against my knee-jerk reaction of "no more unboxings???"). I can understand wanting to move away from a very simplistic overview of something like a new case or random knicknacks. However, don't underestimate the effect that your "unboxings and overviews" can have. I'll admit, that before buying a product, I consult many types of reviews for it, including seeing someone actually touch and explain the thing. I would be in favor of reducing the sheer number of "unboxings" but not trashing them all completely. Nevertheless, I'll support whatever you do and enjoy every bit of the content!

TL;DR

Unboxings can be useful to potential buyers, but less unboxings would be good.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ