No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

The unboxings cause awareness for products that are otherwise ignored like those bluetooth speakers you've recently unboxed. I am now considering buying one of those after watching your unboxings.

Regardless, I would still watch all your videos, with or without unboxings.

Unboxings are nice, but I wouldn't mind more indepth product reviews and such. I think those are far more useful to the tech community because it answers questions instead of giving us something flashy to look at.

I would be alright with this. You'd be giving yourself more time to get familiar with the products and be able to deliver more meaningful content than just "this is what it looks like to remove it from the box."

I guess I'll weigh in. Firstly, I think this is a "good" idea. It's in quotation marks because it will have negative consequences, initially at least. I think this is a good idea because review style videos lead to you being able to get much more information out there, letting you go over specific features and what those features mean for the consumer rather than listing them. For instance, you might be doing an Intel CPU unboxing and list that it has "Intel® Visualization Technology", but not many general consumers actually use that feature and listing it as a feature might sway potential buyers based on technologies that they aren't going to use.

Another reason this may be a good idea, and it leads off the first point a little bit, the performance graphs and discussion at the end of your videos are good, providing concrete data for comparison, but there isn't really that much in terms of the bulk of data and doing more review centralised videos may help you to include more of these points of reference in terms of performance

A third reason, and probably final because I tend to type a lot, is that you would probably get more enjoyment out of doing these sorts of videos, depending on how you structure them at least. You love computer hardware and these sorts  of videos are going to help you have a more in depth relationship with the components(this is getting weird but I think you know where I'm coming from). It will also allow you to flaunt more miscellaneous pieces of information.

<hr />

As far as the negative consequences I mentioned earlier there are also a few. The most prominent is that it's not very feasible for a business, especially a YouTube based business to be releasing less videos. Less videos means less revenue which means you will probably have to look at alternative methods of gaining revenue, more LTT donations might be one such avenue. This point I feel isn't as valid as it should be, specially in relation to you specifically as last time I checked you were making a loss on the livestream every week.

Another potential consequence is that it is a different road to travel down. This might lead to people unsubscribing, again, reducing potential revenue. Also, the people that are after the short basic tech videos are probably the people who don't use ad block(massive stereotype- Don't tear me apart people). This potential hit to subscribers I think will eventually alleviate as you get some of the people who are really into the lengthy in depth tech videos who don't want to see basic overviews coming to subscribe, but that takes time.

In short, I think it's a good long term idea for the channel and that initially it's going to cause some backlash. To counteract this you could go for a weaning approach rather that saying "No unboxings 2014" or do two videos everytime you receive something. Unbox it, then do the review video later. Anyway, that's my two cents relating to this.

*Disclaimer-These are my opinions, not fact

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I like the unboxings, but I like the reviews/guides more.
Maybe do unboxings only for the products you do the in-depth reviews of? Or only the really important stuff?

Anyway, whatever you decide is fine with me, it's not like I would stop watching you. But, I will have to find a channel with unboxings that I like, because they are a great way to learn about new products.

Have you considered what this will do for the growth of your channels? Aren't unboxings the main way to get new viewers? Not that it should be my concern, but I wouldn't want you guys to stop getting more viewers. :-)

To sum up: Quality over quantity. 

I would prefer no unboxings of random things. I would rather that you unbox big things, with the spin on unboxings guys have on things such as large graphics cards (Maybe just 1 or 2 from a whole series), or something big like a new high end Asus motherboard. Things like CPUs, PSUs, HDDs, SSDs and Sound cards don't really turn out to be as interesting as an unboxing on a GPU or Case, because there tend to be less things to actually look at.

That being said, a CPU or SSD video where you go in depth about the performance and real world use might be more interesting.

Any Case unboxing you guys have made is fun to watch though.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K,   CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i,   Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55,   LED Lighting: NZXT Hue RGB LED,   GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX780 3GB,

Storage: Samsung EVO 250GB (OS), 2TB Seagate, 3TB Seagate,   Case: Corsair 750D,   Monitors: ASUS PB287Q 4K and 42" LG IPS TV,   PSU: Corsair HX650 V2,

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB (MX Brown),   Mouse: Logitech M950T,   Headphones: Audio Technica ATH PRO700MK2,   Speakers: Logitech Z906,   Phone: Google Nexus 5,   Tablet: Google Nexus 9

ok hold on? I know I'm relatively new to this forum and as a subscriber to LTT's, but I watch your unboxings because you also do reviews with your unboxings. You tell us how you like the item or dislike the item and why that is so. That is a major reason I became a fan and a subscriber and why I encouraged my friends and family to join and subscribe. I'm all for your reviews on items and if that means a little less on certain products so we can get a full review as well as an unboxing with that full review. I would have to say I would like it more.  I have watched other youtuber's and none have what you sell. You and Slic as friends doing something together that is talking about computer stuff and well electronics.  It kinda reminds me of how my friends and I sit and chat about the newest thing that is coming out and who do we know that has bought it already and how do they like it. I'm not sure what you trying to do less of or maybe we are all thinking of something different? I do know it is a part of life to want to expand and move on and or change, evolve as a person, show or business so I'm all for that. I mean if your going to review something I guess you would do an unboxing of that review, right?  Well anyway I'm excited for the new more full in-depth shows.  Good luck to you and the Linus Tech Group.  

I just ranted didn't I lol sorry :)

You discussed this on the latest WAN show, about the quality and you know that we like you being relaxed and not being serious. I prefer you having daily content but i dont mind you stoping the unboxings which you have already reduced, you could include them in the begining of a review (unboxing & review style). Anyway i will support you whatever you do!

My initial response was a big fat no, but with your explanation, it seems like a good trade off.

However, might I suggest going back to the old style of unboxings, just Slick with a camera and you unboxing it. No meddling with b-roll and research on the product. It'll be less time and resource intensive and still serve the purpose of an unboxing - unpacking and giving initial impressions of a product.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Yeah, I'd rather see better quality. They just seem kinda rushed nowadays :(

Funny, but rushed.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

I think that you could do unboxings as a part of the rewiew video.

Just like you do your videocard unboxings today you should have the unboxing first and the rewiew after.

Unboxings was the reason that I subscribed to linustechtips and while I love your other content i don´t think that the unboxings should be abandoned.

Hi Linus,

I should start by explaining why i became a LTT subscriber, it seemed that every time i was interested in a product you had an unboxing for it when i searched, and off-course i didn't subscribe at first but after a while you seemed to have covered all of the products that i was interested in placing in my pc. 

So with that said, i don't think you should really focus on Tech Quickie - yes the content may be more professional but its less informative to YOUR subscribers, I would assume the audience is slightly more educated with the realms of pc and all the stuff covered on Tech Quickie, it is super dumbed down and i'm sure its information a bulk of your subscribers already knew, they add less value then a overview of a product(mixed with an unboxing) not only this but you generally talked about most of the concepts you raise on Tech Quickie during unboxings.. difference being the theory has some context to a product at that point.

So what im saying is that if you feel something needs to drop to free up time id be much happier if you dropped Tech Quickie over unboxing by far, unboxing have some real value it allows users to investigate a product which may not be on display a local retail store, and generally with pcs are not, it also allow users to learn things about the specific product they are interested in that they may not have known. an example are some of the features within pc cases you may have discussed before, these are not always obvious within product descriptions but when brought to light are informative.

So Yeah, That's my $0.02

Unbox the products you do review. Part of the reason I came to know LTT was I wanted to know what a particular case looked like and more importantly, what it came with. Maybe we could cut down the unboxings. Perhaps unbox important items, or items which are cool/unusual. I am really looking to what you guys can come up with. 

If it means more indepth videos about computer hardware, I'm all for it.

If it means more phone/watch/gadget reviews, I'm all against it.

I personally started watching your channel because it was about computer hardware, some you just unboxed and some you reviewed, and I always wished you'd do more hardware reviews.

That being said, the past year you have been bringing more phone and gadget stuff into the channel, with the cost of less computer hardware videos, and that's something I feel is bad.

So I hope you're doing this to make more time for detailed computer hardware vids and not phone/gadget reviews, because I'll probably unsub if those become the more dominant videos on your channel.

I see where you are coming from. But If I was in your position I'd maybe stop unboxing random time wasting stuff like keyboards and mice (except for the occasional ones) and still unbox more tech relevent stuff. Cut the unboxings down if u wish but not take them away completely. But u still should unbox important stuff like cases, gfx card, cool gadgets and the like. Thats just my opinion so treat it as you may.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

Please don't, unboxings are the main reason why I watch your channel, they are the reason why I am subscribed to you, I'm even one of the people that is upset, because you don't really "unbox" anymore and just show off the product xD I do watch all of your videos, but I'm especially not particulary interested in your reviews, they are fine, but they always feel the same and get imho really boring over time (no more GPU reviews in the near future please xD (and I know that it's not his fault, that so many graphics cards were released over the last couple of months)). I do love build guides and the WAN show though. Well, to sum it up, please, don't get rid of unboxings, they are the videos I enjoy the most. :(

No no keep the unboxings! I subbed for that and it's not that I don't lune change but you give all the important information about the product pretty quickly with some humor and personality

A possibility imo would be to lower production "quality" like no b roll footage or things like that, which in guessing will be a lot faster to film and edit, giving you a bit more time for other things

And when I see an unboxing on my feed, I get this tingling sensation in my pants about hardware so...

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

The unboxings are the main things I watch on your channel, it would be very disappointing if there were no more unboxings.

I love your unboxing videos, especially on custom cases because you're so in depth with possible builds.

Ryzen 5 5600x | Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro | Asus TUF RTX3070 | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3600mhz

I like unboxing videos, it easily shows what I could physically get in a product may it be a motherboard, a chassis, or something else. I also love your side comments about the packaging lol. If aint too much, keep the unboxings please! :D

And like some of the people here, unboxings brought me to LTT. Other content is awesome though, that made me stay.

Good enough.

It might be hard in your position but i would love at the end of your videos to have a section where you share your personal opinion like tiny tom logan, you would probably get spammed less with stupid questions on twitter as well ahah

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

I think you should continue to unbox products that can't be reviewed in-depth such as cases. mouse matts, case lights; things like that. You should get the unboxing video out as soon as possible from release too as the videos wouldn't need to be scripted or of best production value. Most people only want to see a case in different lights and angles to the white background glory shots that companies take. Leave the massive reviews of cases to TTL. 

With things like graphics cards, monitors, motherboards etc I think you should do a more in-depth review and just go over whats included in the box. 

Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz | Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz | MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr II OC | Samsung Evo 850 250GB | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Corsair 600T White | Corsair H100 | Corsair HX850 | Corsair SP120 QE | Asus MX279H | LG Flatron E2251 | Logitech G502 | Das Keyboard Ultimate 4 Browns | Fiio E10 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Corsair SP2500 | HTC One M8 | MacBook Air (Mid 2013) i5 8GB 128GB

I think I may need some more information.

Your motherboard unboxings are as good as they can be, and they help. Can you make them better? How?

Your graphics cards unboxings already have a reviews in them. How can you make those better?

For SSDs you could show numbers, I don't think you always do, but I might be wrong here.

For RAM what is to show?

For HDDs the same as SSDs, I think.

For liquid cooling, I say you don't do enough unboxings. Same goes for air coolers and pre made loops.

Cases, are you going to build inside all of them to get a review done? That will take a lot of time.

You can improve on your headphones unboxings, but in the end its just Yes or No

I consider this your core subject.

Now if you are saying no unboxings and more reviews of Bluetooth speakers, smartphones, smartphones cases, I don't really care for those and they are the least watched in your channel, so they may need improvement but I don't think that is what people want to see, just by looking at the numbers of views.

So what are the areas you are thinking on doing reviews?

To the daily news, are you going to be like the wan? Goes live and upload it to youtube after? To me that sounds good.

In the end, "the less content" is not a good thing, because I think you are kinda low on your core subject

But do this, on a wan don't get anyone and lets discuss it there. With twitter like you did on the live show, and maybe with twitch chat, they deserve it :D

Hope to see some answers here Mr. Linus, stay well.

To all, have a reasonably good day

I love your unboxings. If you choose to abandon unboxings, i will be sad, but i will fully support you. But please consider another solution.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014