No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

I'd have no problem if you get rid of the unboxings where all you do is open the item. TBH, we all know what is inside of a graphics card box. You can do a 30 second to 1 minute overview of what a graphics card (or other part) looks like in a longer more in depth video just as easily.

The unboxings really made sense when you were more associated to NCIX as a retailer doesn't really want to review items and give poor ratings to items they are also going to try to sell. Since you've been more independent it makes more sense to do reviews, benchmarks and that type of video.

I believe shifting into a more focus and detailed content would make your videos seem a lot harder in the first place. I learned from your channel a lot. Like A LOT. I went from a nerdy college student who knows how to build a normal computer to a whole new world that I didn't know of like water cooling, overclocking and such. One thing that I was most concerned when I first learning these things is what to buy. I didn't have the patience to read all that technical stuff that I might need to google so many terms before I could understand the videos. I want to buy something and try it on my own. Of course I wouldn't want to buy something I would find out I wouldn't like and regret buying it. Unboxing and overview is the place I would go to and enjoyed watching.

tl;dr Don't cancel the unboxing!

I'd like to say that when companies get big, they start to forget what brought them there in the first place (Microsoft and now Google).

So now that LinusMediaGroups is getting bigger, don't forget what got you here. I know that techquickie and the new daily news show will get better, but I think a lot of viewers (including myself) enjoy the unprofessional unboxings because they are quick, informative (basic knowledge of various products), and also entertaining.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

I support whatever decision you make. Unboxings are great and all, but I do appreciate more of graphics card shopping, guides and the likes.

You could skip on some stuffs, such as grafics card which basicly comes with the same stuffs everytime and only mention if there is something diffrent which follows. However on like cases and other tech stuffs i love to watch those unboxings.

For your own sake I hope you read this line:  (1) go back and watch some of your videos   (2) write down everything you say  (3) Think about how you could say it better, more concisely, thoughfully, etc...  (4)  Improve future videos with better content  (5) Thank me later

As for unboxings: some people here are reminiscing about your past unboxings, but they're forgetting about the quality discrepancy between your unboxings and those does by UnboxTherapy (it's okay, he's just better).  "LESS CONTENT,... MORE QUALITY and MORE FOCUS" is a good start, but don't totally abandon the unboxing component of a review, simply work it into the first 20 seconds of a review video as you explain the product and your initial expectations/impressions.  

The 'laid back' nature of everything you do limits your audience.  Keep the chill content with the WAN show  (and some gaming things like a game or gaming keyboard review) if you must, but clean the rest up.  BTW I'm not saying you should go straight boring like PCPer or Anandtech.

But... but... Linus, that's part of what makes you Linus, unboxing at its finest.

But oh well, one unboxing here and there could be nice.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

I enjoy unboxings, but I find that I am not watching it to see whats in side. I am usually watching it to see what your opinions are about the product as you're taking it out and such. So I am really up in the air on this one, but if I were to give my two cents it would be a shot of all the items that come in the box and a brief summary before you give your review of the product. That way us as customers know what we are getting plus, your thoughts, and maybe even benchmarks and specs. 
The unboxings are a linus classic so I would hate to see them leave but I think I would enjoy a video in that layout over the unboxing. 

I vote for neither to be honest. TTL does some of the best reviews out there because he's so in depth with every single thing. You can do reviews but I'd still prefer watching him just because he's harsh on products and if he likes something you know it's good. 

Unboxing's are starting to get a bit boring for me no matter who does them. Yours was better than the rest when you worked at NCIX but now I find you put a lot less effort into them, like you hate doing it. 

I think you guys need to figure out something else you can do that is different. I know there's not much else that hasn't been done but I feel you guys can come up with something different. 

You should do more tutorial type stuff and actually do more builds. Maybe get into modding stuff and tells us how to do it! 

I like your unboxings, but I really don't see the point of pulling an item out of its box, which all unboxings are, just so the viewers can see how it is taken out of the cardboard compartment that it was in. Think about it, it is pointless. I'm OK with this.

My suggestion is place all the items (box, extra stuff, manuals, product itself) of the said product on your "unboxing" table or whatever it's called and just take one 4-6 second shot (the one when you pan the item left to right or vice versa with your camera) of all the stuff .

For example http://youtu.be/st3dCj9gkrE?t=10s

I made this suggestion because some people still might want to check what's inside the box. Pun intended.

I hope you understand this. My english is wack.

I'd like to see a compromise somewhere, maybe fewer unboxings, but including in-depth reviews, and a news show twice a week? I can't imagine LTT without unboxings, especially since you're so talented :)

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

You're famouse because of your unboxing videos! And because of the unboxing, here i am being your fan lol.. But seriously, keep it up the unboxing series!

I like your unboxings, but I really don't see the point of pulling an item out of it's box, which all unboxings are, just so the viewers can see how it is taken out of the cardboard compartment that it was in. Think about it, it is pointless. I'm OK with this.

My suggestion is place all the items (box, extra stuff, manuals, product itself) of the said product on your "unboxing" table or whatever it is called and just take one 4-6 second shot (the one when you pan the item with your camera) of all the stuff .

For example http://youtu.be/st3dCj9gkrE?t=10s

I hope you understand this. My english is wack.

Exactly what I was gonna say ;)

Don't do the whole unboxing, just show us what you get, product and accessories.

MOBO: Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 | CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX770 2GB WF3 OC Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3-1600 XMP 16GB (4x4GB) | SSD: Intel 530 Series 180GB SATAIII | HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1.0TB SATA III & WD AV-GP 3.0TB SATA IIPSU: Corsair AX 760 | Case: Chieftec DX-02B | CPU cooler:  Corsair H100i with 4 Noctua NF-F12's in Push-Pull | Fans: 3x Noctua NF-S12A Front and Rear-intake, 1x Noctua NF-A14 Bottom-intake, 1x CoolerMaster MegaFlow 200 Side Panel-intake, 1xNoctua NF-F12 Top-exhaust | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Keyboard: Logitech G510 | Mouse: Gigabyte Aivia Krypton

If you think it will make the channel overall better then that's great. I don't think you should totally abandon unboxings though, it would still be nice to see the odd one.

My PC:

• Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D
  • Motherboard: MSI Z77A GD65
  • CPU: Intel i5 3570K
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4gb 1600mhz Kingston HyperX Blu 4gb 1600mhz
  • GPU: Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce OC
  • Storage: x2 OCZ Vertex 4 256gb in RAID0
  • Power Supply: Corsair TX750M

your whole foundation was built on unboxings, it would be a shame to drop what made you you. it is a staple of linus tech tips! i would be truly saddened not to see any more unboxings. they are a great way to know what that product brings to the table (or tech bench) and what its features are.

I'm happy to see the end of unboxing for everyday stuff like gpu's and such. But be disappointed to see the end of unboxing the random stuff u get, like the banggood vid. No shortage of places to see gpu unboxing, whereas the quadcopter was real helpful, as there was nothing worthwhile watching bout it cept ur vid.

So i guess my view is, dont stop unboxings all together, but stop doin stuff that can be found elsewhere in many places/the same as its previous iteration.

If ur hell bent on X, dont ask for X vs Y suggestions

I would still like to see some unboxings of higher end products, like new high end GPUs, and new high end boards, not the full range, but just the ones at the top at the current time. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

reviews are better but if you can only review like 1-2 products a week, that's a problem because  you won't be able to cover enough items...

Don't you dare do that ! I love them...You helped me a lot with these unboxings when I was building my first gaming rig and I think there are people just like me in the 2014 who wants to build a great PC, but just don't know how...In my opinion you shouldn't stop making unboxing videos :)

well most of the unboxing is pretty common and boring at some point. but don't just take it away do some when it is needed like if it has difficult packaging of some sort (e.g. the razer mamba) something like that. or in the review of a product show all the things that is in the box but don't include the whole process.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO linus is always and will be the number 1 professional unboxer!!!! don't lose your title.....

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

I think less unboxings and more in depth reviews but don't stop doing unboxings altogether.

i7 4770k/Asus GTX 1080 TI/Asus RX5500 XT/Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB/Samsung 840 Pro 256GB/Seagate Barracuda 3TB/AX860i/ASUS Z87 PRO/Fractal Design Define R4/HD 598

I agree with what most people already said, I would love to see more quality content and more in-depth stuff, but I wouldn't remove those unboxings completely! I'd just cut them down to half the number or something like that! love your work Linus (and Slick and all the others) :)

Corsair 900D |ASUS  Maximus V Formula | i7 3770K | 16 GB Dominator Platinum 1600Mhz | Asus GTX 780 |

Intel 520 Series 180Gb SSD | BeQuiet 860W PSU | GPU, CPU, MOBO watercooled with 2x480 rads, 12 BitFenix Spectre Pro total | Acrylic Tubing from Primochill | Icemodz RGB-LEDs | Aquacomputer pump, flow control and fan/liquid control | 27" Dell U2711

Build-Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/88573-the-red-beast-900d-780-liquidcooled-first-build/

Unboxings are actually my favorite videos from you, so I personally would like to keep seeing those.