No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

I have to say that I enjoy seeing a new video from you in my inbox every morning, and watching it while having breakfast before heading to work. I guess that'll mean no new videos every morning if there's less content. I'll still support whatever you do though.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Reviews i think are good but the actual full unboxing part are pointless in my opinion. and dont just do a review of anything, do it of things you actually like and endorse. But the actual unboxing part is so pointless in my opinion.

I may be alone on this opinion though. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I really enjoy the unboxings. I find it gives us a better look at the product(a look that pictures can't). Another thing is through these unboxings i have found awesome products that I would have never heard of unless you unboxed them. I would really miss them.

Something you could possibly do is at the beginning of a review do a short unboxing of the product.

All in all I don't think you should abandon the unboxings 

Hey Linus, I have been an avid viewer for the last two years, and I rarely ever miss a video. The main reason I watch your videos is for the unboxings. It is the only method I use to find out about new products and get an honest opinion on them! It is your opinion and unboxings that helped me pick all my computer components. That said, I do love all your other content too, I watch the WAN show, the reviews, vlogs, tech-quickys, and everything else. But when it comes to uboxings, I just wouldn't know where else to go to get an honest opinion like yours on products.

PS: This is my first forum post!!

While I would probably miss the Linus-esque unboxing videos, I find myself watching them less and less. Several months ago when I had plenty of time on my hands, I used to watch every video from all of the youtube channels I had subscribed to.. However, recently as I've been working more hours and been all-around busier, I only have a very limited amount of time to watch youtube videos. Since I'm primarily interested in more in-depth topics, the relatively simplistic "this is what it looks like"-style unboxing videos take secondary or tertiary priority when there are other more detailed reviews I can watch with my time.

I know a lot of people have said this very same phrase, but I'll say it again just for the lulzz; Quality over quantity

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

I'm not turning this thread into a poll because I intend to carefully read the replies of every single person who posts in the next couple of days.

I won't make a decision like this without consulting the community that made us one of the top technology channels on YouTube.

I am considering completely abandoning unboxings in 2014 to focus on reviews, guides, Tech Quickie, and our upcoming daily news show.

What this means first of all is LESS CONTENT. Unboxings take a fraction as long as all that other stuff, so we won't be able to cover nearly the breadth of products that we used to do...

What it also means is MORE QUALITY and MORE FOCUS. We'll be able to really spend time getting familiar with things before we show it to you and really zone in on the stuff that we feel is most relevant, exciting and interesting.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I love your unboxings. I always go to you if I want to see the size of something, or if it has the features I'm looking for. I watched so many of your videos and they helped me so much. 

I say still do unboxings for people who want to know about the product, and go to you for insight, just do them as you have time. I know your old unboxings still get views from people, including me. Make the videos to have them up, but don't push aside something like a overclocking guide for them. 

I like to see what a product dose more than anything also. More than a overview, more of a review. I know people say you won't have the experience of it if you do a quick test, but at least if you give your knowledge of the product, and have some guidance of it, that would be super helpful. 

You don't always need to do an unboxing of new stuff. Maybe a case that's a bit old, that's popular. People still want to see that stuff! 

I always go to an unboxing to see what the product would be like for me. You do a extremely good job of that. Mostly Case reviews, but you should not stop making them. Maybe put them off if it's a busy filled week, but get to them sometime. 

I have been watching you for a few years, and love to watch every video you make. The WAN show has become my new fav because of how long it is! But I would hate to see the unboxings go away. After all, what would you be without them? 

Thanks for taking the time to read all of your fans thoughts, I love how you are part of the community, and not just the boss. My #1 on YouTube for a while now. 

TL;DR

Make the unboxings to have them. Having them is better than not having them at all. 

We are here for your thoughts, your input! 

It's fine, I don't watch anyone's unboxings anymore

I'm confused by your definition of "unboxing".

In most of your videos nowadays it is taking the product out of the box, go over its details, and giving a small review about it.

I wish you to continue to give reviews on products that the viewer base wants,mostly products that require information beyond a mere unboxing like GPUs, sound cards, etc. Those require experience and experimental testing & fooling around.

I also want you to continue doing case unboxings. Some people like me, wish to know each and every inch of a case before a purchase. You were the one that explained most of the Phantom 410 which led to my purchase.

EDIT: If you do decide to not continue with unboxings, do like aunboxing spree on special occasions where you and the other staff at LinusMediaGroup have a competition to unbox the most items in the least amount of time. You WILL get products and you WILL have to unbox them either way.

Maybe you can unbox items on steams. Daily streams even.

I'm going to say that I feel you should keep doing unboxings for things such as cases because we get to see all the possibilities for cable management for example or the accessories it comes with. I'm fine with you scraping the unboxings if you do overviews of cases and such in the more professional videos.

Eh you are stuck with me, and several other people here, no matter what content you put out. I'd prefer to see some unboxings, but not overly-hurt if there isn't any. All of the content is good.

I would still love to see your unboxings cause I like the fact that you are honest about the products and you are unbiased (or so you have us believing) =))

Your unboxings are of those things that I really look forward to cause it really gives me an in-depth idea of the product in terms of specifics and aesthetics. 

I might be open to the idea of lesser more in depth reviews of product related to computers or maybe even a compiled or grouped reviews maybe? 

- Like Windforce line, or Lightning line, ROG line. This way you have 1 longer more in dept review of the PRODUCT LINE then their respective performances. 

- Or one benchmark for same tier cards against flagship cards (like you do now)

Then unbox items that really needs attention or is really a game changer, like the first G-sync enabled IPS panel or you Butt plug when it finally comes into market... 

I think I understand your mindset for this decision. There are hundreds of products and only a few of you guys in LMG and you can't really focus. 

Anyway I support any decision you make.

*PS Please please please make an LLT podcast sooner. :( 

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

Honestly, I prefer product reviews over only unboxing a product. I mean if you find anything worth mentioning while unboxing then let us know.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

My 2 cents: Make one big unboxing video, Monthy or so. Work on the WAN show (Add some things to it, Work on the tech difficultys [Wait, then it wouldent be the wan show.]) and make more showdowns, work on build guides (Makeing them more often) and just do what you want within reason.

Buy all the planes! Im also bad at quoting!

This idea isn't all bad; being able to focus on more detailed work allows Linus to bring better if not longer videos to YouTube. Some times truthfully sometimes the unboxings get old, the same thing over and over again. The only thing I like about them now is the Case reviews and the cheesy lines he uses or does. I fell that the more grown up Linus Media Group becomes, the more professional it should too; which brings in the new ideas, no more unboxings. A clear focus on content that many people love will possibly create more subscribers who care as much as we all do in this Loving community. I joined over a year or so ago and I love it, a friendly environment that people can post questions and get help without that one guy being a douche to everyone. I will not say what you should do Linus, however I will say most of us will continue to follow you no matter what.

Spoiler

Project Casper - Glass Tubing Build

Ryzen 9 5905x     |    Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570    |   Strix 3090

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

4 x Crucial MX500 2tb raid 0   |    Glass Hard Line Tubing  - EKWB Blocks 

Well part of the reason behind me watching unboxing videos was a quick view on features and opinions on it; if you were to let go of the idea, you could consider adding those small details onto the review.

Other than that, i wouldn't see this as a bad thing overall, as long as that time spent on unboxings is well spent on the rest of the video (you said it yourself, it DOES mean less content after all).

Do a few unboxings here and there? For old time's sake?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I do support your thoughts linus, but unboxings made you who you were. From that story you told us once you were at a fast food place? I think and one of the workers turned around and said i know your voice!!! Unboxings are your thing, but its your choice in the end to make the choice but i support you either way. :)

I'm for it. I watch your channel now for analysis and a little bit of personality (the end of this last week's WAN Show reminded me of how much I missed the oldschool after parties with retro games and terrible jokes). If you have a daily news show, that would increase my engagement in your content.

I think you have a really unique perspective on where products fit into the market, the future of new technologies, and I really respect your opinion (I would not have appreciated G-sync for what it is without your testimony). Couple that with gamer Luke, and you have a very good show.

I don't watch your unboxings for stat sheets, I watch them for the overclocked benchmarks at the end, the "So, where does this fit in?", and the Linus-in-a-bathtub. If you can incorporate that into your new set of content, and give more in-depth reviews, I see nothing lost.

At the end of the day, people hate change, so you will get flak for this, but I think it's a good long term way to improve the channel.

I have a lot more reasons for advocating this change, but you get the idea.

I like the unboxings but generally when I am looking to buy a product i like to see full reviews of it as well. If you could some how implement maybe not a full unboxing but maybe just an overview of the product but add that into the review/guide or whatever the video happens to be, it would help familiarizing people who are not so familiar with the product and at the same time educating them about the product. In all this may be more work in your part but also you don't need to do 100 different videos of similar products just from different brands and just cut down to what you feel which products that stand out from others in some ways.

Also another suggestion on which products that you would make videos on. If you could come up with like a list of products that you could have the possibilities of doing videos on over a set time span that works best for you and come up with some kind of poll in the forum that would allow the community to rank the products that they would like to see or not see. This could allow for you to do more videos that would appeal to your audience in the best way possible.

You may not fully agree with this way but just giving this as a suggestion to give you some ideas and maybe spout some new ideas for your future. You have a strong community what ever your choices end up to be and I am sure we will all support you in any way that you decide to take your career. You ALL of LTT has helped your community in countless ways by sharing your knowledge and opinions. I don't know of any other channel that has been able to accomplish as much as you guys have. 

Alex

I think that if anything you should add a little section on "Whats in the Box?" To video reviews.

Personally I think that the unboxings are just a way to publish more content. I think that you should invest more time into providing content that is more thought driven even if that means not putting out as many videos. 

CPU: i7 -4770k Cooler: H100i Mobo: G1.Sniper Z87 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16gb 1866mhz SSD: Samsung 830 128gb HDD: WD 1TB Black GPU: EVGA GTX 780 ACX Cooler PSU: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold Speakers: Corsair SP2500 Case: CM Storm Stryker Fans: Corsair AF & SP Fans

[spoiler=Ultrabook : Aspire S7 392-7863]CPU: i7-4500U (1.8GHz/3GHz) Memory: 8GB DDR3L-RS SSD: 256Gb (RAID 0) Display: 13.3" IPS Multi-touch (2560 x 1440)

I'd love to see more reviews and guides. I'm not a huge fan of unboxings. If i buy it, I'm going to take it out of the box myself. I'd rather see glamour shots of the product. I also like your more professional videos. Also, I think I speak for everyone when I say that we value the opinion of everyone at Linus Media Group. Reviews, guides, Tech Quickie and opinion on products is what I want to see.

If it can mean anything to anybody at any time, it means nothing.

For me, your unboxings brought me to the channel when I 15 (3 years ago). I was building my first PC and in your unboxings you offered a lot of relevant information that I needed at the time.

I see your unboxings as a place where everyone (knowledgeable and un alike) can get information on a new product or just any product they're interested in. 

If you're that dead set on doing away with them, would you at least consider keeping Case unboxings? Or maybe a once a week 25-30 min vid where you unbox that weeks things to unbox in the one take?

| NZXT Phantom | i5-2500k @4Ghz | H60 | EVGA GTX 680 Sig2 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance | 

I rarely watch unboxing's as I have limited time to absorb my daily tech so props to you for spending more time on reviews/builds/benchmarking etc

----------------

Only as old as you game!!

Gaming since PONG invented in '70s