No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

Try Two unboxings a week, Then Maybe do what ever you intended

I like the idea of new stuff, but I think you should at least keep some occasional unboxings.

You need to keep the unboxing Linus, in fact, I'll go as far as to say, you're not doing enough unboxings today, (you don't even unbox much anymore, it's already out of the box). I like your unboxing since you put a lot of your personality into your unboxings, and your unboxing videos feel more personal, since it feels like we (the audience) are opening the box together and sorta going on a journey. It sounds a bit weird, but it's the main thing that I loved about your channel. The frequent camera battery problems, box reading and the odd locations are what I miss the most, and I really want you to do them more that what you are doing now, since these reviews and stuff are really common, but your unboxings aren't.

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3200Mhz GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080ti MoBo: MSI Z170 Krait Gaming 3X Cooler: NZXT Kraken X52 Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D HDD/SSD: (Boot) Intel 750 Series 400GB, (Games) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, (Data) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro L w/ Cherry MX Blues Mouse: Logitech G900 Monitor: Acer X34 Predator @ 100hz

Phone(s): Samsung Galaxy S8+

I don't think you have to necessarily abandon the "unboxing" you could do quick overviews of products instead actually having to unbox it. Or you could incorporate the unboxing within the review. For example "Corsair 900D unboxing and review" or "Corsair 900D Overview and Review". People sometimes don't want to watch a full scale review of a product all the time and may just want a quick overview of what it can do. Or they already own it and they can get more insight with an overview of the features rather then a review.

I'm not turning this thread into a poll because I intend to carefully read the replies of every single person who posts in the next couple of days.

I won't make a decision like this without consulting the community that made us one of the top technology channels on YouTube.

I am considering completely abandoning unboxings in 2014 to focus on reviews, guides, Tech Quickie, and our upcoming daily news show.

What this means first of all is LESS CONTENT. Unboxings take a fraction as long as all that other stuff, so we won't be able to cover nearly the breadth of products that we used to do...

What it also means is MORE QUALITY and MORE FOCUS. We'll be able to really spend time getting familiar with things before we show it to you and really zone in on the stuff that we feel is most relevant, exciting and interesting.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Do it,Look this it was evident that you were straying off from actually unboxing products anyway whether you did that unintentionally or not I kind saw this coming as most products you unbox have unboxing videos already.So yes summarizing this up my vote is for removing unboxings and getting straight to the point OR you could combine the 2 unboxing (but of course the product would already be unboxed already and tried and used)and then in that video you could review it.Ex:Unbox quickly random phone and get reviewing the things.One more thing this would make the videos longer which I really like.I really look forward seeing LMG in 2014 and those daily news shows.

Sincerely,LogicDeifying                     

i say not too bad, though as long as you include the contents of the box in the review. One downside i may see is that a video on a particular something may take longer to produce ... if you can keep this time down then i say no problem   

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

Im fine with it but if you can do some unboxings here that there would be great.

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

When I subscribed 2 summers ago, it was mostly because of the help picking parts for my first build. The unboxings really helped me choose what to buy.

I know most people want you to keep doing unboxings. I think you should do unboxings only for stuff that most people are not very interested in like the wireless speakers or other random things. For more important things like motherboards, graphics card, and cases just show the what comes in the box and then go on with the review.

Keep up the great work

CPU: i5 3570K; Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V; RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB); GPU: MSI R7850 Twin Frozr; Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-I Snow Edition; Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue (500GB); PSU: Thermaltake Modular PSU 750 Watts

Okay Linus I really do like your reviews, guides and Tech Quickie stuff. But I believe that you should still do unboxing's on all the items that you will review. Since you will open them anyways might as well do an unboxing on it too.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Good decision. Plus there will surely be some rare/special product that you can unbox.

I knew this day would come when I first started following NCIX & LTT. Most people, including myself, have an immense respect for your recommendations.

Best of luck mate..

If there's no unboxing part but there's a more in-depth review part, i'm all for it. As long as you're not dropping talking about tech products altogether :P

Keep the good work coming guys, you're doing awesome!

I always go for Quality OVER Quantity. I usually don't watch your unboxing videos because if I'm looking to buy said product I will find a review of it instead which will give me all the info you do as well as more. 

I rather eat one amazing steak then a lot of shitty ones.

Unboxings are great but reviews are better. I have really been liking the unboxing/review format and I think there should be more emphasis on the review of product but the showcasing of the product that you get when unboxing still has to be there. I do really like your vision for the future and I do believe a change in content may help reach a larger crowd who want opinions and help with products not a video showing them that a monitor can tilt. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I really like the unboxings, but they don't need to be what you make them now. The more 'impromptu' unboxings were good because you made them good. We don't need you to tell us every specification about the product but I really enjoyed hearing your opinion in the 'first look' portion of the unboxing so it wasn't really a review but you said what you liked and didn't like straight up.

I think you should do reviews of graphics cards etc over unboxings of them but what about motherboards, some motherboards can have some quirks that you'd point out, good or bad but it was informative. Vary your unboxings and just make them fun for you which will make it fun for us.

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

Yes I'd rather more overview style videos and reviews. More of your opinion is what I want. I can go anywhere for unboxings, Hardware Canucks has beautiful unboxings. In all honesty they're not really valuable unless you're doing something different, and to be fair the only thing I'm interested in with your unboxings is your opinion.

I'd say ditch them, give us more opinions and info!

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5GHz          RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Black              Drives: 480GB SSD/1.3HDD

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H          Graphics Card: ASUS HD7970 Direct CUII     PSU: Corsair HX650M

Case: NZXT Phantom Black/Modded        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14                            Monitors: 2x Dell U2312HM

Unboxings/quick over views don't really cut it these days. People want truth & real world performance, costs vs perf and in depth realistic product information videos. I prefer watching crappy shot indepth home video style videos where people actually buy the product for real word reasons for their situation, then give honest feed back about that product. Along with the strange and unique things they found out after using the product.

You can end up learning a lot of things that can very easily get skimmed over or skipped during the format of videos that LTT has done up until now. The unboxing/overview video format is just a visual demonstration of what's inside the box & written on the box by someone who most of the time hasn't bought the product for their own personal use or needs. (most of the time)

+1 Linus for much more in depth, review style videos. You can actually then give the products a real world test over a realistic time frame, discover all the "oh i didn't think about that" situations and/or problems or bonuses that you find along the way. Then report these finding in the usual "high quality" LTT style.

I would like to see you strike a balance between the two. I really like in depth reviews (as in I enjoy watching Tiny Tom Logan talk for 40+ min), however I also like your unboxings, they are quick with just the right amount of snark. I would also like to see more guides, and a more in-depth discussion of the downsides of products. Additionally I think your should do product recommendations, for instance I realize there isn't a 'best GPU for everyone' however there are some that no one should ever buy, and there certainly are 2-3 good performers in each price bracket.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

i have no problems, if you wanna make things your way and maybe better than others, than its OK. i m subscriber of yours because you are different.

Honestly I feel like the "unboxing process" is fun to watch but is wholly un-educational. Watching you unwrap stuff doesn't give me a better understanding of the function of the product. In a sense, the unboxing portion of the video is extra fat that doesn't need to exist. Giving reviews of products without showing the unboxing, to me, doesn't seem like a sacrifice in the value of the content, so I would certainly support your plan. A lot of the appeal of your content comes from the playful banter that goes on between the the team members. As long as that is always present I don't think it would be a bad idea to drop unboxings. In fact, with a daily news show, we would probably see even more of the light hearted atmosphere at LTT HQ.

Final verdict: I think your plan is pragmatic and is worth a shot.

He who dies with the most tools wins.

Keep the unboxing, but only do them of the products you're reviewing and making guides about.  So you're pinning two graphics cards together that are the same price, same performance, but one has a slightly better cooler and lower temps, so you can OC higher.  That's great and all, but what do I get in the box when I buy it?  I love your content and love the quality of the big stuff you do, from a mac ssd installment to a camping trip with the 8th and final frying pan made in Canada.  I'd like no unboxings of stuff that you will only do unboxings for.  I would like more chopped together bits and pieces of extras, outtakes, deleted scenes, and nonsense.  Your professional unprofessionality lies in your great reviews and guides, but your humbling moments lie in your true unprofessionality and your moxy to put it on youtube.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Skip the whole unboxings part. If you get your hands on a product the LTT fans would enjoy use or purchase then please show us a hands on review rather then an unboxing or first glance at it.. If we wanted to know the specs of something we liked we would see it on the site. I just wanna see how the product works real world. Specs are useless!

Intel Core i7 4770K | Gigabyte R9 290 OC 4GB Windforce Edition | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Mobo

Noctua NF-S12A FLX 120 + 140mm Fans | Corsair H100i CPU Cooler | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | BitFenix Ghost Case

Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM-850 PSU | G. Skill Sniper 16GB (4x4GB) | AOC G2460PQU 144Hz Monitor

I enjoy your product reviews, demos, benchmarks and impressions, don't really care for what comes in the box of a product, unboxings are a waste of time imo. More quality videos with a review!

personally id still like to see some unboxing as thats what got me interested. perhaps not so much as cpu, drives, ram, etc as they arent as relevant in terms of whats in the box and more relevant to their performance where a review is needed. but its still nice to see unboxing of things like motherboard, power supply, peripherals, etc where the additional content of the box might actually matter. Things such as additional features and/or add-on on motherboards, the quality and variety of the cables included with the power supplies, and especially the features and ergonomics of peripherals where most people looking at unboxings are looking for.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K (Stock Speed)  Motherboard: Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark-S  Memory: 4x8GB Klevv GENUINE DDR3 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 550Ti PSU: Corsair RM850

Abandoning what got the channel going doesn't seem like a good idea.  If the amount of videos will decrease, then so will the amount of money generated by ad revenue.

I personally don't want the unboxings to stop.  I won't stop watching LTT if they do, but I will be disappointed.

I'm going to have to say no, whenever I'm interested in a product I always go to one of your unboxings to see it up close and get your personal opinion on the product, even if it is without using it yet. Reviews are great, but I can get those anywhere else and I like the personal flair you bring to the unboxings. You do you though, man.

Edit: This has gotten me thinking though... What if, instead of abandoning unboxings, you release only "First Impressions" videos, which fit somewhere in the middle of a quick unboxing and a full review.  In the unboxings you kind of quickly go through the product without a true personal opinion, which I really like.  The "First Impressions" would still be easy to make, have a different name, and tell me what I want to hear about a product quickly and easily.  Food for thought, I hope you read this.

Oh yeah, and one more thing. I assume you've thought about this but the people on this forum like what you do and are willing to support you no matter what.  The bulk of your subscriber base will not be commenting in this thread, so you have to think of what your average Joe LTT subscriber will think when there's not a video popping up from you every day.