No more unboxings in Linus Tech Tips in 2014?

LinusTech

While I do appreciate the content that is directly relevant to me more. I do still watch many unboxings Just because I want to watch something and you really are the most entertaining option that comes to mind, even though I have netflix. So while I would probably appreciate having more relevant content I imagine that my coming to your channel regardless of the topic at hand has to stand for something. And besides, hearing a little about technologies that I don't use is a good thing.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

Hmm, maybe do a timelapse unboxing? No need to do any comment. Just film the unboxing and put it in the begining of the video with 2x speed or something like that. It's fun to see what's inside the box ;)

Quality > Quantity

I like the idea. As much as I like your unboxings, I would preffer quality reviews / shows, and it's not like your the only one that does unboxings, so we could watch Newegg.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

I think a great thing to do instead of the video unboxing is to take a still picture of what's all in the box laid out on a table. Insert that image into the review, then people can pause it if needed.

But, I rather enjoy your unboxings, but I enjoy reviews more.

Spoiler

Gaming PC

• SSUPD Meshlicious White Full Mesh
  • Corsair SF650 Platinum
  • ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax (Won a giveaway from OptimumTech)
  • Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Scythe Big Shuriken 3
  • 2x8gb G.Skill Flare X @3200 CL14
  • PowerColor Gigabyte RX 6750 XT
  • Storage:
    • Samsung 970 Evo NVME
    • Samsung 860 Evo 2.5"
    • MyDigitalSSD BP4 250gb (mSATA inside 2.5" enclosure)
  • W11Pro
  • AOC C24G1 + Dell S2415H
  • Cheap CyerPower keyboard (Wooting 60HE coming later this year)
  • Glorious Model O Matte White
  • LTT Northern Lights DeskPad 1000mm x 500mm
  • FX Audio Dac-X6 + Monoprice Modern Retro + Fifine Studio Condenser Mic

Media Server

• Rosewill RSV-L4412U 12-bay hotswap
  • Unraid 6.9.2
  • Asrock B450 Steel Legend
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • 2x8gb DDR4
  • LSI 9207-8I
  • 9x 2tb IronWolf • 2x 2tb WD Red • 1x 14tb WD Shucked White Label
  • MSI GTX 1050 Ti

quality over quantity... sound good to me...

wait, does it mean more guide-build video too? like not only high-end configuration but also mid-end configuration.

at least, a few of my friend, complain to me about, most of your build guide is high-end configuration. 

but overall, i'm on board.

It would be fine since we're gonna see more reviews instead of just "first thoughts"..it wouldn't be bad though to just add performance reviews to regular unboxings and not totally abandon them :) my 2 cents

Great news Linus!

I really like your presentations but i'm not that much into unboxing, I always wanted to listen what you think about the product and not what it says on the box ;)

I especially love the videos where you and slick do the reviews and testings.

I think you should just maybe do less unboxings. If doing less onboxings means you can do more product demos I'd love to see that instead of just a plain old unboxing.

Full abandonment... not so much. Different reviewers have different things that they look for when showcasing a product - your method works well for me and others.

Are you intending to keep the unboxing aspect within a full product review...?

Apple, Piss Off! ~ Linus 2014

No, you're not hallucinating, or maybe you are... either way, I'm back. ~ Linus 2015

I enjoy watching the unboxings, because they give a much more in-depth take on whatever product is at hand than I can personally make with my own resources. Sure I can watch other unboxings elsewhere, but the unboxings coming from LTT have their inherent entertaining value.

That being said, the very specific informational parts of the unboxing videos I pay the most attention to are the analyses and impressions of the product. The actual physical unboxings of a product aren't as important in my perspective, and I can live without those.

Whatever the final decision is, I do support you and your team's constant efforts in bringing the best content to your fans. Best of luck to the entire LTT crew!

It would be great if you could just do less unboxings so that we can get reviews because I love the reviews you guys do but abandoning unboxings is something I wouldn't like to see happen because I think it's safe to say most of us came to the channel watching the unboxings so for me anyways they are kind of what got me into LTT and I'd hate to see them go away all together. Appreciate you guys trying to give us more quality though. :)

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

I'm not a big fan of unboxings and am a fan of everything else you said, so an easy thumbs-up from me.

I think you should reduce the number of unboxings rather than getting rid of them all together. With that said, I would like to see more in depth reviews and the daily news show sounds exciting. So do maybe five or ten percent unboxings and the rest of the content being news, in depth reviews, and tech tips.

I really do enjoy your unboxing and overview videos that said, more focus on bigger and better things does sounds great. I wouldn't mind it at all. 

I say yes even though you do the best unboxings ever, I think that with this change you are bringing a diversity that few tech reviewers follow.

System Specs: CPU: AMD Athlon X2 II 3.21 GHz Memory: 2GB DDR2 800MHZ Hard Drive: 2x 80GB 7200RPM JBOD Graphics Card: Hopefully ATi Radeon HD 5750

In my opinion, the unboxings are a pretty significant part in my experience while watching LTT. In your unboxings, I get to see exactly what I receive with the product as well as a general overview or even more detailed information about that specific product. I think it isn't the unboxing itself that is important, but the information and the details that you describe while unboxing the product. 

Sometimes, when I want to purchase a new part, I type in that part into youtube and look for results. Often, I see a LTT unboxing and that's always the first one I click. This is because, like I said, I can see everything I get as well as the information I need to decide whether or not the purchase is right for me. If these unboxings are abandoned completely, I would really need to look elsewhere for the specifics. That said, unboxing things like hard drives in bubble wrap isn't important to me. 

Like others said, I can imagine that a large portion of your previous videos were unboxings, and that is probably a foundation of the channel itself. Choosing to reduce the amount of videos or to select more carefully the items you unbox would be a much better choice in my opinion. That way, people who enjoy unboxings can continue to enjoy them while you get more time to focus on other content because you have reduced the amount of unboxings. 

With all that said, whichever decision you choose to make, myself and probably a large portion of the LTT community will continue to support you in the content you provide. 

Current Rig:

i7 4770k   ||    Z87 Sabertooth   ||   16gb Gskill Ripjaws X @ 1600   ||   MSI GTX 780 Gaming   ||   Fractal Design Define R4 Window (Black Pearl)   ||   Intel 530 120gb   ||   Seagate Barracuda 1TB   ||   Corsair RM850   ||   Corsair H100i 

i like the unboxings but it wouldn't hurt to reduce the amount of them. I don't think abandoning unboxings completely would be a good approach however, as the unboxings were what got me into watching your channel in the first place.

i like the idea of more and more deep reviews and guides. but i think staying true to the roots a little bit is also important.

how about this. 

dont unbox things like GPU, CPU, Motherboards... the things that you are going to do a long review or guide on, on that guide you can do a short unboxing and put som glamour shots to show off the hardware.

on stuff like a RAM kit, a uncommon piece of hardware, or a item that has bunch of accessories or what not, something that has awesome packaging or (stuff that needs a simple overview) do a unboxing

so the final verdict - crank down the amount of unboxings

add more reviews that are more deep and applies to a family of products (R9 290, 290X ....)

do more live shows - a daily news or update show (updates on upcomming videos and stuff)

more guides and your personal Fav' Vlogs :)

i really like the direction LMG is heading keep up the good work

if your company every goes public or needs some shareholders 

ill be the first in line( with what ever i got, might be $100 might be $10000 who know)

cheers 

i like the idea of more quality and more focus but don't completely abandon unboxing maby a mere fraction of the unboxings you do now but at least once every two weeks or so

282px-12674-spiderman-approves-of-this.j

IF your still going to keep the Overviews of products and quick videos I don't mind. When I watched my very first video of yours it was the kraken unboxing which hooked me right in to subscribe to you, I kinda consider you as a role-model over the internet. I like that you are going to have a daily news video, I approve. What content you produce is up to your choice. I will still watch because it's entertaining and let's me relax from a bad day at school.

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

I actually don't have a problem with this. At first i was reluctant, but then i though that if you do a review or guide for a product you can always briefly cover what was in the packaging anyway. And like, I'm sure a lot people do, i do extensive research on a product before buying, which includes various unboxing videos...

So if dropping unboxings for better overall content quality, I say: go for it, and good lluck :)

May our framerates be high and temperatures low

Unboxings are like stock benchmarks, go somewhere else to see the cluster of unboxing videos.

Okay well

I think abandoning most unboxings and focusing more on reviews and more in-depth videos is a great idea. I have always loved your unboxings. But I like your guys' opinions and reviews more. Such as your phone reviews. I know its a relatively new thing for you to do but I enjoy hearing your real world experiences. 

Also I much prefer this new format with the graphics card overviews. Mainly a review of the product and a little bit of product showcase. And then slick talking about the results in the end. It feels very professional. 

So in my opinion, more product reviews and discussions would be a great thing. 

I quite like the unboxings, but no need for dedicated videos. I like the current format where you briefly say what's in the box, give a first-impressions, then a more in-depth analysis with demos, benchmarks or other forms of testing. I wouldn't like it if you became a lot more "professional" on your main channel. Your personality is the reason I'm subscribed to you in the first place. However, if you find it hindering your upcoming daily show, go for whatever suits you best.