Getting a PC to work (New Hardware, old hdd)

Ein0r

Hi.

I built my new pc today. a R5 1600, with an asus 350b plus mainboard and the hard drives from my old pc, including all the old data.

But i have trouble to get it to run smoothly and several probelms occurred.

1: I got a blue screen for a very short moment after starting the pc. It told me to use the recommended starting help, which brought up a repair tool that didnt work at all. I think that happened because of the Win7 i had on my hdd. So i installed a fresh version of it onto the other hdd and it worked fine. I am not sure if that was the correct thing though.

2.: PC does not recognize my mouse or controller. Only keyboard.

My keyboard has a ps/2 port, my mouse usb.

I have a Logitec Gsomething. During the booting my mouse gets recognized. I can also use it while in am in bios. But once the Windows logo appears, the pc does not recognize  the mouse anymore. or probably any other device, like my game controller.

I think that's because i did not install the mainboard drivers from the cd, yet, which (probably) leads me to my next problem

3.: I cant use the setup menu that appears when i start the mainboard driver cd, because my pc doesnt recognize my mouse and the setup does not react to my keyboard inputs.. I tried booting from that mainboard disc but that only brought up a freedos which i cant use ^^

It feels as if i had missed some steps somewhere and hope that you can help me.

A fresh install of Windows should fix it. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

yaaaaay. I really hoped i could circumvent that somehow..

Seems i will have to transfer all the data again. And in the meantime i will transfer a whole lot of beer into myself ._.

I will be back soon™

Hard drives are not hot Swappable do a fresh install of windows then install new drivers

19 minutes ago, Ein0r said:

yaaaaay. I really hoped i could circumvent that somehow..

Seems i will have to transfer all the data again. And in the meantime i will transfer a whole lot of beer into myself ._.

I will be back soon™

In some cases it can be avoided, but in a lot of cases, a fresh install is needed :P

I always recommend it to anyone who's swapped/swapping their cpu and motherboard, it can save alot of headaches.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I will do that. And since i dont want to make the same mistake again i would like to know how i should proceed.

The computer setting shows me 4 "partitions" right now, C,D,E,F

C: Is one of the hdds, unpartitioned. And with way to much data on it. But it also has the current Win7 installation i just installed to get to a desktop somehow. I would like to get rid of it.

D: Is 100MB of reserved memory where i have no clue where they come frome. My guess is that i made a mistake with updating and installing Win7 again. I dont mind the 100mb partition though.

E and F are two partitions from one  hdd. One for stuff, and the other solely for windows. It also has the old Windows installation from my old pc but i will format that one anyway.

Is the best way proceed, to format the old win7 hd, partition it again, use one partition solely for Win7  and later on delete the Win7 version on my C drive? (which was just a workaround to begin with)

Are there any problems that could occur with deinstalling the (unwanted) Win7?

I played around so much with installing that i probably fried my brain along the way.

Is there any possibilty for me to get my mouse back before doing all of this? xD

I probably did something wrong and misunderstood something. It didnt work.

The drive i want Win7 on was not gpt partitioned, from time to time there was some undistributed memory space, i tried to convert it to gpt and according to diskpart it worked but apparently didnt?

Whenever i try to install Win7 onto that hard drive it always told me that i cant install it because the disk doesnt have gpt formating. But i could still continue, it installed Win7 onto that partition but still, didnt work in the end. Still no mouse connection, and without that i cant install the board drivers the easy way.

I am out of ideas and will go to bed now. -_-

Maybe i can make pictures tomorrow if that helps.

Wasnt very succesful since yesterday :/

My mouse still looses connection once Windows starts, both the installed one from the drive or the installation from disc.

I tried all the usb ports in the back and in the front. I also tried using a usb -> ps/2 adapter. A different mouse didnt help either. Everything USB related in the bios is enabled.

I also noticed that the lights on the mainboard, as well as the num lock and caps lock lights on the keyboard still light up, although i shut down the pc.

The mainboard also recognizes that i plugged in a network cable, since the led lights up. The windows message tells me that if i have a network adapter i need to install drivers.

Some pictures but i really doubt they will help at that point. xD

Some from the hardware in case i made a mistake with the cables? The big mainboard cable on the right side has an additional 4 pin cable which i can put into that slot but it wont stay fixated in it.

p7060151ryqyt.jpg

p7060153gkpv7.jpg

The driver setup menu

As mentioned, i can check/uncheck the chrome standarbrowser box, but i cant switch from special up to drivers. Not with tab, cursors, numpad or any other key.

p7070156uiorv.jpg

Windows installation: As mentioned yesterday, the 1800gb drive (drive1) didnt have windows installed until yesterday. i reinstalled it today on that drive. I cant install it on drive 0 partition 2 because that particular harddrive has the gpt partition style.... Yesterday it told me i cant do that because it didnt have a gpt partition style.

p70701605gqb1.jpg

p7070161m4r77.jpg

That's as much of what i am capable, and i really dont like the thought of buying a new hard driver and if necessary Windows 10.

I got the good advice to just download the drivers from the asus site, or maybe download drivers for one of the mice. Which i did and i liked the idea. Just to realize that  that i cant transfer them onto the pc without a working usb port. :/

Any idea if using a new hdd and windows 10 will fix this problem?

I find it pretty strange that i lose mouse/usb connection even when i boot from disc.